1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fire vs Earth Elemental

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Blog, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

For priests, why is Conjure Fire Elemental a level 6 spell and Conjure Earth Elemental a level 7 spell? The spell descriptions are exactly the same.

It seems to me that Fire elementals are more useful because they are immune to fire. What's so great about the Earth elemental that makes it worthy of being a higher level spell?

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

IIRC Earth Elementals have slightly more HP and do more dammage (crushing) these make it slightly better but it is still a lvl 7 spell. This makes the Fire elemental more popular as there are not many good lvl 6 druid spells. There are however a few excellent lvl 7 spells (natures beauty etc). So most people make their preists memorise Summon Fire Elementals for the 6th lvl spells and not bother about the 7th lvl Earth Elementals

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Afaik there are few to no creatures which are resistant to bludgeoning damage (and I am not talking of stoneskin here). Otoh lots of creatures are resistant to slashing and/or fire damage, which I beleive the Fire Elemental does.
    Does anybody remember the enchantment of the fists of the two elementals?

4. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

No, I don't know the enchantment. I think the Fire Elemental's damage is physical. There might be added fire damage, like melf minute meteors, but I can't seem to remember.

So the biggest difference it seems is the type of damage - blunt versus slashing.

5. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    +4 or better. Fire Elementals can hit Kangaax, iirc. I haven't tested out Earth Elementals much, so I'm not very sure if their fists are high enchanted. Shrikant is right that very few monsters in the game have resistance to blunt damage, though. It's why monks are so popular.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I do not think there is a that much big difference, as mage versions are the same level.
    Even I like earth better, I would prefer fire anyday as it is more useful. You say earth does bludgeoning which few monsters resist, but fire is still more versatile, IMHO, heck, they can even hurt Kangaxx, this is NOT a small accomplishment.

Druids should not waste their PRECIOUS Lvl 7 slot with Earth Elemental. (or until level 15, where they get absurdly high spell slots!)(though they need an absurdly high xp too!)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.