1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Finishing ToB for the 1st time - GAME END SPOILERS

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Hethan the Skald, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I played SoA and BG1 many times, but only got ToB this year. So last night I finally saw the end of the BG saga for the first time. If you're bored, maybe you'll want to read my impressions:

*Warning: it's spoilerfest from now on*

First of all, Melissan isn't my favorite villain. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out she was up to no good (that "I'm gathering bhaalspawns for their protection" stuff was almost too obvious and practically only bhaalspawns had their portraits showing up with their dialogues), so maybe it's the plot that turned me off.

However, I couldn't think of anything better than that right now AND I understand the guys @ Bioware didn't have a lot of time to work on the expansion. So I'm not really complaining, I totally appreciate their work.

The cutscenes involving her are amazing though. Specially the one when you arrive at the Throne of Bhaal.

On the finale:

I played a NG Skald and chose NOT to become a god after all. I romanced Viconia and almost got that nerd tear when she came to my PC and said she loved him, not like the drow did, but in a most passionate way. Whoa.

When the epilogues came I was somewhat disappointed. I never minded the fact that the game pushed you Imoen because of plot issues. I like Imoen and I'd have her in my party anyway. But when the game tries to tell you that you should have romanced Jaheira, it's a drag. That's the impression I got from learning that:

Viconia became my counselor (COUNSELOR? A female drow counselor to a skinny white bard? A neutral, loving drow, but anyway... come on), but so far, so good. Then she dies. Oh joy. You bet your ass my PC did go on a cruzade against all drows. He should have taken the godly path just so he'd beat the godly crap out of Lolth for screwing around with his wife.

What I got from Jaheira's epilogue is that she was never truly happy again. She never came back to Tethyr or the Sword Coast, became a conflicted person, blah blah blah , read as "She lost her sense of identity AND her husband to your cause and instead of showing some appreciation, you ditched her out for some whining Avariel or evil, mean Drow." --> Now, I might be wrong, but it's the impression I got.

Not that I wanted a cheesy, hollywood happy ending. I actually liked Sarevok's epilogue (even though he changed his ways, doesn't mean he's not a tormented person). And it was really cool reading about Minsc (another tear dropped on his final monologue - "I'll tell everyone we knew the hero and they will think I'm crazier than now, but I don't care"). And what about Imoen? Having tea with Elminster? Cool, eh?

Sorry if it seems like I only wanted to complain. I actually though it was a very fulfilling end, except for the seemed attempt to make the player feel like it was unfair not to go with Jaheira.

And it's over. What now? If you have any suggestions for my next BG2 game, they're more than welcome. Thanks for reading!

[ April 19, 2006, 01:50: Message edited by: Hethan the Skald ]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Yes, a number of people were quite unsatisfied with Viconia's romantic epilogue, and I can't really blame them. She ends up much better off with the other epilogue (though still not quite perfect), and it seems quite unfair, especially if she's actually had a breakthrough and become a better person. That's why there is a mod or two that changes it. :D

OTOH, it's designed to be a maudlin romance, doomed from the start. She's just made to be weeped over. I felt the mourning for my beautiful drow and revenged myself upon her executioners the next few times I played the game. :evil:
    Another tragic character in a long line of them. Perhaps you're right, but what I got out of it was that only the PC's love could have fixed her broken heart. Many people simply cannot get over the loss of such a dear loved one, and Jaheira did love Khalid despite the evidence to the contrary. Love destroyed and more deferred can truly ruin a person, especially on the heels of loosing her foundation with the Harpers (Elminster's words notwithstanding). Too many traumatic events does not a happy ending make. :cry:

P.S. Perhaps a *spoilers* warning in the topic title just in case? :)

3. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I will edit the title. Thanks for the warning!

And well, you seem to be right about those epilogues... maybe tragedy fits Viconia's character better. But it kinda spoils the redemption part, doesn't it?

4. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Agreed, Hethan. It's kind of a bummer to know that if you become a god, she lives, and if you stay human, she dies. But Viconia seems to be the only romance that truly WANTS you to take the power, even after her conversion, so I never feel too bad about ditching her for the planes. On the other hand, you could assume that her reaction means she still has a lot to learn about love. ;)

Want a REAL bummer epilogue? Play the Saerilith mod and choose godhood. :eek:

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Indeed it does. But that's why there are mods: to fix little oversights like this.

6. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Aerie's ending without Your staying with her is another Tearfest. Though if you stay with her I think she's got a really good ending that is a lot happier. I'm just not impressed with the whole tortured soul aspect they took with any of the three female NPC's as far as Romances go.

Tragic issues in romance I can just look to my RL for. And no I'm not explaining.

7. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Quick off-topic question: How come the PC doesn't restore Aerie's wings when he becomes a god? He even says he could when they have the talk before the choice. Is this supposed to be some :bs: about "growing as a person from tragedy"? Hey, if I used to have wings, I'd want them back! Screw the personal growth! :p

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well I had a lot of mods, and thanks to them I got very interesting and new epilogues for my NPCs last time I finished the game.

I had fully romanced Viconia, Jaheira, AND Sola all together. (perverted Bhaal-child) In the end, I got a baby from EACH of them. (my PC was male, please do not ever ask HOW he and Sola could manage to make a child, epilogue suggests that his Goddes has blessed us maybe that does the trick? :lol: ) Viccy was again killed, (duh) and I set out to revenge her. Then at the same time I was happy with Jaheira and doing harperish bussines and teaching our kid our ways. THEN I was also living with Sola , possibly giving birth to his child, :p and also to help him establish a surface good aligned drow-settling and battled to protect that little drow community. Man I WAS really busy, you see. :shake: Ofcourse, this failed to make any sense, but can't blame designers for that. :good:

Funniest was Imoen's, it says she pickpockets Elminster for a joke, and fights a Dragon as he was 'rude' or all that kind of fun parts, I liked it!

@Hethan the Skald

You can now enter the fabulous world of mods of BG2, if you are interested. Some mods add new content, harder and more fun battles, and make BG2 a new game in the long term. If you feel ready, go for it! If not, just play once more with a different PC and NPCs...

9. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

It never really addresses any of the godhood promises in the endings. which kind of sucks.

Like if you for some reason romance Anomen(I like to try romances just to see the change in content.) He has a Crisis of Faith when you become a God.

Tell me how he doesn't end up as one of your loyal Followers and one of your first and most Blessed Priests? Even if you don't romance him if it's the same ending it would just make a damned lot of Sense. Specially if your playing a good character and turn him Lawful Good.

Hell he's wishy washy enough I'd buy playing Evil. Turning him Lawful good for his bonuses that he gets for it and then his crisis of faith in the Epilogue has him serving you as an Evil God.

Saerileth is my next mod to Try. And I'm thinking i may install Unfinished Business as well. Some of the fights are already damn near too hard for me with ascension installed. don't think I'll be adding any more that actually make things more difficult so I might as well build on content.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.