1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Financial Decision Making

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackthorne TA, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I admire this guy's attitude. If only more people shared it. :)

I especially like this bit:

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well done old chap. Now if only our government could figure out how to what this guy has done.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's defintely the way to go if plausible. He sure wasn't paying a mortagae and student loans doing so though. He wold of have nothing or little left otherwise. I also thought the comments on that link were pretty funny. One guy shows he read the first book and this dude wasn't living off of one salary and lots of supplements and loans were involved. Supplementing through loans is not advisable...

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah I don't know how accurate that $40,00 a year claim is, but I liked the fact that they planned ahead and worked out how they would afford to have a family before they had one.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Like Blades, I'd like to see what his monthly expenses are as well. Hell you can blow $40,000 per year easily just on the necessities. Does he have a mortgage? What are his grocery bills? Last I checked, buying clothes for your children - who basically need a whole new wardrobe every season because they don't fit in what they wore the previous year - could get a bit pricey. I assume he has a car and pays for maintenance, or at least gas.

Then what about other stuff that a lot of parents do. Does he have a 401k plan? (Actually since he's a teacher, I guess a 403b would be the more appropriate question.) Is he saving up money for his kid to go to college one day? Does he carry life insurance? I know there is a lot of stuff people buy each year that they don't need to buy, but other stuff are unavoidable expenses.

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    As to some of that:
    So, the gist seems to be that they had more than $40,000/year for a while until they had kids and the wife stayed home; they used her salary during that time to pay down debt before they started a family. And then the wife eventually went back to work, so I'd guess that means more than $40,000/year again.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A salary of $40,000 per year is reasonable for a teacher with four years experience (which is when his wife quit and they started having children). In the following six years his salary would have increased significantly. He's trying to glorify what he did and make it sound more impressive to sell books.

Bah -- I started at $40,000 per year and went to $65,000 over the span of six years while the ex went to college (we then divorced and I was a single parent on that salary). It's not hard to do it just takes setting limits.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

To the originally quoted point, why is that people make such a fuss about people who are "tight" or "budget"? I've never understood why it is cool to make fun of people who save money.

9. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That would mean, they have to learn restrain first.:D

But all in all a nice article. Makes you think a bit.
    My own pack was never big on the spending. Those born early in the 80's witnessed the downward trend in our earnings and economics first hand.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    That's a good question. I think it's the consumerist society; if you don't have the latest and greatest stuff, you're a loser I guess. I don't get it either really.

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Eh? How is supporting a family with over 3000/month wage impressive? Finland has generally higher living costs and that's about the median income in here. I know a single mother of three children who makes by with a lot less.

12. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Right.
    I still get picked on by friends and co-workers for my old Nokia N95.
    Who rave about their iPhones and galaxy's.

Just as an example!

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Man, what a cheapskate. Join the 21st century, and let the moths out of your wallet. You only live once.

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Harbourboy is sooooo cool! :lol:

15. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Thing is, there are those out there who aren't just frugal; they seem to worship capital. For them, $5 unspent is reason for great satisfaction, not because that $5 can now go to some other deserving need or be saved for a rainy day, but simply because that $5 was not spent. These are the guys who are constantly shorting you on their share of the lunch tab in order to eek out some perceived advantage of a few cents, bumming cigarettes or other consumables so they don't have to buy them themselves, and driving 80 miles to find a gas station that's selling gas for nine cents less a gallon than the place around the corner from home just for the satisfaction of not having played ball with the "cheating bastards back in town!"

Those people are just plain weird and are deserving of great scorn, imo. If you're one of them, please understand that everyone knows what you're doing and dislikes you for it. If you think they don't have a clue and aren't talking about your weirdness behind your back, you're just fooling yourself. :heh:

Being senisble with your finances = good. Acting like a nutjob every time you have to get off your wallet = eccentric.

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What's wrong with looking for a good price on gas?!?! :p

Mrs Bruno and I basically live off one salary -- we just had a financial planner (for $850!!! THAT'S INSANE!) tell us we'll have nearly $4 million when we'll retire if we keep saving at our current rate.

The Mrs promptly went out and bought a pool table. She's planning on buying a Mini Cooper convertable before spring as well....
    :facepalm:

17. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

It's a noted feature that people who went through a recession remain less likely to spend for the rest of their lives as they become used to scrimping. It'll be interesting how much of an effect the current recession will have.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I would think that it's really hard to compare Finland to the US in terms of cost of living, just because it varies greatly based on where you live in the US. If you live somewhere in the midwest, $30,000 would probably be a pretty good salary, but you'd be living with rats if you earned that income by any major city on either coast.

Just look at the discussion we had on housing prices recently. Blades said in Illinois you could get a single family home for around $40,000. Snook and I responded that in the Boston and Baltimore area, you can't get a sniff at such a place for under $200,000.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.