1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Finally, a Pro-RPG site!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Rastor, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

2. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I didn't know there was D&D bashing, seems a bit unfair really - you think that people would start an anti-alcohol or drug campaign instead of targeting a game.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, D&D is SO evil. It is the source of ALL the world's problems. It should be stamped out.

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I could post links to a dozen sites that call D&D "The Devil's Anti-Christ". I figured that all of you had seen such rhetoric before, however, and were sick of it.

I'm reasonably certain that all of us here don't buy into D&D being anything more than a game.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  6. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

This cat deserves a D- just for the unforgivably bad grammar. Comma splices, run-on sentences, apostrophes apparently anywhere he felt like putting them and enough dangling prepositions and participles to decorate a Christmas tree.

@Dr:

Probably true. But did you honestly expect anyone who posts on this site to say otherwise?

[ February 05, 2004, 18:06: Message edited by: Gonzago ]

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Gonzie

I didn't realize there were so many Christian D&Ders, even here at SP. So no, but I did expect more "I know a guy who says..." responses.

8. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

umm...D&D is clearly anti-Christian. Not in a formal serious manner (because we know it is not real), but certainly in a playful sense.

9. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

If you go so far to say that D&D, even in a playful sense, goes against Chrisianity, then think of all the other things that would fall into that category.

People who say D&D is the Devil's game have way to much time on their hands.

10. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Just like how some people in this message board who like to post about certain topics have way to much time on their hands hmm?

11. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Them's fightin' words, Casey. Hope you're including yourself in that, what with your 502 posts and all.

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    @ Casey

Some people in this thread, especially former recipients of the Idiot of the Week plaque for posting stupid topics, probably shouldn't be commenting on the posting habits of others. Hmmmm? :rolleyes:

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Stick to the topic please.

14. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Un-Christian? Perhaps. Anti-Christian? I don't recall any of the D&D manuals ranting against Christianity.

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ofelix posted this link in Random Babble, and I thought it was relevant to this discussion.
    Edit: forgot this: :rolleyes:

[ February 08, 2004, 22:26: Message edited by: Splunge ]

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] And a few lines below,

I suppose that makes me a devil's advocate just for running this site. :evil:

But seriously. Sheesh!

17. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Most of the Anti-Christian aspects of D&D are inherent to the cleric class. Polytheistic worshiping of false idols. Divine healing...it is certainly sacrilegious to pretend that a person whom worships a polytheistic diety associated with...i don't know...lets say Murder...is granted the same ability only given to God and Jesus. Don't even get me started on Resurrection.

Furthermore, the entire system of D&D is based upon "randomness" which is contridictory to, albeit, archaic Christian religious dogma which tells of God's "Divine Plan".

Edit...
    Hey I love D&D you know. Right now I am taking a F/M/C all the way through the whole BG saga. But still...I could see why an eighty-year-old preacher whom has spent his entire life within the confines of Christian dogma would be a little incensed by the cheeky nature of D&D religious references.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @LNT - Now you've hit the real issue here. It's the worship - even in a fantastical sense - of false gods.

"I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have false gods before Me."

Even the druid class falls into that spectrum - especially given the Druidic ties of many people of the British Isles. I don't think it's the aspect of the game itself, only that there is a religious aspect intrinsic in the game that is different from what a traditional Christian believes. Of course, as Mat proves, it is possible to play D&D and still be an upstanding Christian...

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would interpret that as: You may worship other gods, so long as you worship me as the great and über one. Which a christian could easilly follow whilst plaing a ficticious character worshipping a ficticious god.

20. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

In Dutch the sentence is less duplicious. Literally translated it gives "You will have no other god then Me."

I agree that this is probably the most important reason of Christians being against D&D. But I find a very superfluous reason, since D&D isn't there to promote it's pantheon of gods.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.