1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fighter/Mage/Thief...or not?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by angryguy, Nov 6, 2004.

1. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm planning on starting again, running through BG1, BG2 and ToB (though not, i am proud to say, NWN). Since BG2 is the bit i enjoy the most, i want to optimise my character for that. So, introduction aside-

Is a Fighter/Mage/Thief a good idea? I have never tried a triple-class but think it might be interesting. I never play without magical ability, hence the mage, and i love backstabbing and the whole stealth thing. The fighter is mainly there to provide hitpoints, thac0 and other niceness.

There are a few things i don't fully understand though-
    How will the HP be calculated? Average of the three classes?
    Is the fighter actually doing anything?
    What will the item restrictions look like?
    Anything else i need to know?

BTW i have xp cap remover installed. So sue me.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, you don't mention if you are solo'ing or taking a party. A F/M/T is one of the easiest solo games around, you can use basically everything, reap all of the experience and only have problems with HLA's not really supported right by the engine (although a mod fixes that in part). BTW, you mention TOB, so this thread will undoubtedly be moved there shortly.

If you're going with a party, the sharing of experience makes leveling up a F/M/T somewhat tedious, but it can be done.

3. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I've never really liked the FMT--you have so many great abilities that you never really get to use them all. Some aspect of the character always seems to stay unused (and therefore, in my mind, wasted). Anyway:

The fighter class will be giving you a great THAC0 and more attacks per round. Spells like Black Blade of Disaster become more appealing.

Item restrictions? Surely you jest. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that armor will disable your spells, so you'll want to rely on spell armor, of course iron skin/mirror image/blur, and only much later take advantage of Bladesinger chain. If you want to take advantage of backstabbing, then of course you want invisibility items and the whole armor thing becomes slightly less important (not obsolete).

My advice is to solo with that character, or at leas use a restricted party size. Leveling up will drive you nuts.

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

HP gain is 1/3rd of HP for levelup class. So might as well not bother with more than 16Con.

The item retrictions for each class apply.
    So you cant wear any armour if you want to cast spells or more than leather if you wanna steal.
    On the other hand if all you want to do is swing a sword then you can use any armor, item and weapon.

You can only have one weapon in your main hand slot. Its gonna piss you off verrrrry soon.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well, as long as you keep in mind, that you are effectively three classes at the same time...hence having both their advantages AND disadvantages, you should be fine.

For example, if you can nab an Elven Chainmail early (Lord Ali Bakkar from Trademeet?) or pick up some sort of Robe.

The great thing is you will be able to use Staff of the Magi in melee effectively!! :D

Go ahead, take a couple of stars in staffs and two handed weapon. You can still use other weapons for backstabbing.

And there's always Staff of the Ram +6 for oodles of damage!

6. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

and backstab.... or that must be backwhack

7. Balduran's Boot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Fighter/Mage/Thief is a good set! Though i prefer an elven Fighter/Mage set more!
    Are you going to be a backstab mage? :) ))

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Mage/Thieves with Quarterstaff and two handed weapon are better if you want to make a backstab mage.

Improved Haste+Mislead+Tensor's Transformation in a Contingency set for "Enemy Sighted" and you're good to go.

If there are mage's around, you can cast a Spell Immunity Divination BEFORE you come across them, or something.

@Balle: Were you referring to the SotM as an instrument for backstabs? Its only usable by Mages, so you won't be able to backstab with it.

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

(s)He was probably referring to the Staff of the Ram +6.

Anyhoo, a F/M/T is basically a character that was made for a first time solo. The only thing they can't do is heal crap, which isn't needed anyway because you'll never get hit.

10. angryguy Gems: 7/31

Right. Well, despite what many have said and inferred, i'm going for it. Female elven F/M/T, nearly finished BG1, picking up all the nice kit on the way. I havent used backstab as much as i had suspected and my magic power is fairly weak. Two old-style rings of wizardry (they used to double level 1 spell slots) sort that out and i really hope they import into BG2.
    I'm not going solo, but in response to what you all said, i'll only take 3 NPC's or so. Choices choices...who to take?

Faraaz- it will be a long, long time before i have access to chain contingency, but i'll keep you posted.

Shikrant- i didnt understand your comment about keeping con at 16- even if Hp is at 1/3, wont the bonuses for high con apply?

11. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

You only get the full +4 con bonus when you gain a fighter level, and then the result is still divided by 3. So that's 6 extra hp at level 9. In other words, points better spent elsewhere.

12. angryguy Gems: 7/31

Fair enough, although its a bit late now. Do you get to reassign stats when you move to bg2, or just proficiencies?

EDIT- AARGH my bg2 install is wasted after a vain attempt to install bg1tutu. Anyone know how to fix this?

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Chiz...what are you talking about? The 6th level spell, Contingency lets you put spells upto spell level 6. The spells I named are all level 6...

:rolleyes:

14. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

You're right Faraaz, but don't forget that the level of spell you can use in contingency is based on your own level. You can't load 6th level spells into a contingency until you are 18th level, 5th level spells until you are 15th, and only 4th level spells when you first learn contingency.

15. angryguy Gems: 7/31

Really? I never knew that. I was just going on the idea that he meant to have all three in a contingency at once.

On a somewhat related note, i have managed to have multiple sequencers of the same type before, perhaps due to repeat use of shapechange? Why is this? I assume it is not intentional, since it goes against the spell description.
    Also, is it possible to check what spells you have stored in a sequencer, like with contingencies?

16. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

No, you can't look at the contents of a sequencer. That's a good reason to write down what you load or always load the same thing. Or use your sequencers before you forget about them. :)

And now that I reread what Faraaz wrote, it sure looks like he meant to load all three at once. In which case only cc can do that.

17. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

I happen to like the FMT a lot because I like to be the one that does everything rather than using NPCs. Hope you have fun with it. The hardest part is BG1, where you only get one weapon slot and can't pause on inventory while you swap between melee and ranged weapons.

18. angryguy Gems: 7/31

I like using NPC's. Thats the problem. I like the variety, te flexibility, the banters, the inventory space...

So here is my plan. All my NPC's are, essentially, capable of surviving alone.
    So thats haerdalis, since he can fight and cast spells quite well. Keldorn since his abilities let him nobble most things. Anomen, since he can fight and cast... you get the idea. Others are valygar and minsc coz i like them.
    Despite what people have said, until my levels reached 10/10/10 or more, i gained 4hp per level, of each class. So i ended up with a shedload more HP than i'd expected. Yay!

19. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Oops...my bad. You're right Eric...but still, I find it hard to believe that you can't prepare a better alternative.

How about a contingency for just Mislead? Once you're invisible, you can cast whatever spells you want. You have atleast one round to cast SI:Divination IF there are enemy mages around...and if there aren't...just cast the rest of the buffs and away you go. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.