1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fighter/Mage Multi Class Weapon Skills

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Heisenberg, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Heisenberg Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Bear with me here I have done a TON of reading and I am starting to get the hang of things. Sadly 50% reading has gone into stability issues (the odd mouse lag that happens).

So, my understand is I will get more weapon specilization points as the game goes on. My question is which weapon should I max at character creation? Two Weapon Fighting Style-Flail-Long Sword? The first weapon I find is a long sword but I was thinking of takig Two Weapon Style to 3 first so I can see what I find but many of my "hunches" have been wrong so far. So, could someone just let me know what is considered the best way to start to your character and then what weapon special is most important?

I am starting with Short Bow, Two Weapon Style, Flail and Long Sword. That leaves me 2 extra points where should they go?

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Weapon Proficiency system allows for up to 5 points(*****) in a weapon choice, eample is Long Sword or Bow. But only Single classed fighters can go beyond Specialization, which cost 2 points(**). But weapon Styels are different and you will be able to put 3 points into the Two-Weapon Fighting style. So your Fighter/Mage can gain 2 points in a Weapon, but up to 3 points in a Weapon Style if that style allows for 3 points. You will want 2 stars in your main, single handed weapon, which looks to be the Long Sword. I would put 3 stars into Two Weapon Fighting style and the last star into Bow if you want to use a missle weapon. But you will constantly be changing your inventory around. It's a PITA. When dual-wielding, you cannot equip a bow as well. It's kind of a bummer... So I would add the last poinit into Flail instead. When I create a Dual-Wielder, I usually focus on Melee only. But that's just my play-style.

So I would suggst the below at character creation, using 2 Long Swords until you reach Fighter Level 9....

Long Sword - **
    Two Weapon Fighting Style - ***
    Flail - *

At Fighter Level 9 you will receive another Prof Point. Add it to Flail. Then every 3 Fighter Levels (Level 12, 15, 18, etc...) you will receive another point to add to a weapon of choice.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "The first weapon I find"??? What does the first weapon found have anything to do with what weapons you want to specialize in? The first magic weapon found is a +1 dagger ... then a staff and long sword. There are a lot of weapons lying around for you to use right off the bat.

The most common weapons for a fighter/mage:

Katana -- for Dak'kon's Zerth Blade and Celestial Fury (dual wielding them, of course)
    Short Bow -- Gesen Bow (and Tasheron)
    Staff -- Staff of Rynn early on (it's +4 and available right after you escape), then Staff of Power, Staff of the Magi, and Staff of the Ram.

If you want to dual wield, you need *** in two weapon fighting as Blades mentioned. If you'd rather use staves having ** in two-handed weapons can be advantageous. I prefer two handed weapons myself -- there are excellent spears, staves, and two-handed swords in the game ... and a truly magnificent halberd in ToB.

For a quick look at weapon specialization (shamelessly stolen from Dan Simpson):

1 (Proficient) - you can use the weapon without penalty
    2 (Specialized) - +1 to hit, +2 damage, +1/2 attacks per round
    3 (Master)- +2 to hit, +2 damage, +1/2 attacks per round
    4 (High Master)- +2 to hit, +2 damage, +1/2 attacks per round, improves speed by 1
    5 (Grand Master)- +2 to hit, +4 damage, +1/2 attacks per round, improves speed by 3

Getting a second point in one weapon helps you more than taking three points in two weapon fighting -- between the bonuses to hit, damage, and additional half attack per round you end up doing more damage than the additional hit from your off hand weapon (until you get a really good off-hand weapon).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    Heisenberg likes this.
  4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You need 2 proficiency points in a weapon in order to use it effectively so you can actually only choose 3 proficiencies to fill at the start.
    It will take a long time until you can specialize in your 4th proficiency and when you've chosen the 5th the game is almost over so choose wisely.

If you play a good aligned character consider specializing in axes since there are powerful ones both for melee and throwing (Sold in the Copper Coronet and also to be found later in the game).

5. Heisenberg Gems: 5/31

I am a little confused now. I thought at level 9 I will get to put anothe point into Flail? Which should be around the time I get that dank Flail I forget the name of FoA or something?

Anyway, did I screw myself over? I took 3 points in two weapon style, 2 in Long Swords and 1 in Flail at 9 I will add another point to it. It seems like it should work. Katanas are the coolest though and I hope I will be able to add two points into the weapon later in the game.

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Your choices will work. Just take the second proficiency point in flails at level 9, it will take a long time to reach level 12 when the next choice is required so delay it and decide depending on the weapons you find until then and your other party members' preferences.
    Longswords and flails should work through the whole game.

7. Tharlok Gems: 5/31

Veteran

...and since you can only put ** into your weaponclasses (since you're not a plain fighter), it can pay off to experiment a little. A lot of weapons are good (or great) but let say - two +4 swords may not be the best way to go. One popular choice is to put a weapon in your off-hand that improves strength, add resistances and such... A certain scimitar (which is "only" +2) for instance adds additional attacks...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.