1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fighter Mage Build

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by RicoJay13, Jul 5, 2013.

1. RicoJay13 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Can anyone either write out or link me to a good fighter mage build? I need everything, since I'm new to this game. I want to play through Amn and expansion in order.

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Dual or Multi?

3. RicoJay13 Gems: 1/31

From what I read, multi is easier for a first playthrough and better for the expansion. Let's go with that.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Depends on your surrounded cast. I prefer to make my fighter mages the Archer fo the party. An Elf FM with 19 Dex has a better to hit possiblity compared to a Half-Elf or Gnome Fig/Ill with the Elven Racial bonus of +1 to hit with all Long or Shorts Swords and Bows and 19 Dex makes for +3 to hit with missle weapons as compared to +2 for 18 Dex characters. So you would start off with a +2 to hit advantage compared to other builds when using Bows.

I usually have the following for my Elf FM by the end of SoA....this is NOT an ultimate build, just what I prefer.

Weapons - Vorpal Sword/Warblade and whatever Magical Long Bow/CLB.
    Armor - Robe of Vecna
    Helmet - Helm of Glory
    Belt - Girdle of Hill Giant Strength
    Rings - Ring of Earth Control, Ring of Gaxx
    Boots - Boots of Speed
    Cloak - Cloak of the Sewers
    Amulet - Greenstone Amulet

I also carry Celestial Fury, Flail of the Ages and the Shield of Harmony.

** in 2HS, LS, LB. I like to add ** to Katana and Flail as you level.

with Keldorn, Jaheira, Aerie, Nalia/Imoen and Mazzy/Valygar for the vanilla game. That's 3 arcane casters and 2 divine casters. Lots of options and firepower. I prefer to mix in modded NPCs nowadays though.

There are so many powerful weapons in ToB, it doesn't matter what path you take.

5. RicoJay13 Gems: 1/31

I need a more dumbed down version, like what to put points in during the character creation, what to do during early leveling, etc.

6. Blades of Vanatar

That would depend on what type of FM you are looking to build. Tank, Damage-Dealer, Archer, Spellhurler,e tc....

Either way, I would put 18 into Str, Dex and Int. Prof selections depend on what you are planning to do with your PC and what NPCs you are taking along. There is no end-all character creation build. You can go in a ton of directions.

7. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I would put points into con/dex/str/int in that order. str can and probably will be boosted by gloves or belts so even if you are lazy and don't roll a bunch for stats low str is a minor problem (and if you use a bow for those lower levels it is never really an issue).

If you switch difficulty to normal when memorizing spells then lower int is a minor issue as it will only affect how many spells per level you can have in your book (and you don't really need that many).

Weapons are really to taste. What kind of weapons do you like? You can probably make it work well. If you want to play mostly ranged go with two handed weapons (unless you go hand axes then you can go with one handed weapons).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.