1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Festering drowned dead

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by kmonster, Jan 3, 2006.

1. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

On the fields of slaughter (or what they are called) near the water where you have to use the holy water in chapter5 my party killed a festering (or what (s)he is called) drowned dead.

Afterwards my paladin was dead.

Scrolling upwards and reading the text I read that all my party members had to roll a fortitude save, my paladin (+28 bonus doesn't help at a critical) failed where the others succeeded.

There was no indication why this save had to be made, so I'm confused.

Has the festering drowned dead so powerful special abilities ?

Is this a bug ?

Did my paladin using the club of disruption cause this ?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd guess that when you kill one, you have to save or die.

Probably something to do with some festering death gas it gives off :)

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

No, my party members had to save before he got killed.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Maybe it has a festering gas aura then :)

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I got no XP for killing him if I remember correctly. A low level monster with "mass save or die" powers sounds pretty weird.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, Festering Drowned Dead is a pretty high level undead monster and he does have a cloudkill style gas aura.

7. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Festering Drowned Dead have some sort of deadly aura. In the unpatched version of IWD2, Animate Dead could summon FDD's at higher levels and you had to be extra, extra careful to keep them at a good distance from your party, otherwise their death aura might accidently kill a party member.

FDD's are best killed at range so that you stay out of their death aura. If you happen to have any undead summons of your own, let them deal with the FDD's at melee range.

Your pally probably rolled a raw 1 or 20 (whichever is "bad") where the save bonus was irrelevant. Terrible luck.

BTW, in this area, you can get really cute, if you're willing to do without some XP, by sending a stealthy or invisible character ahead and purifying the water without having to engage every single monster after you've gotten by the lich.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Spell description Animate Dead warns you!

WARNING:Some more powerful zombie lords have super-natural auras, which may harm your allies if they are within the range....or says something like that.

Yay, if you fail a save you will be dead or diseased. Happened to me SO MUCH! How can my PCs manage to roll 1s so often?

Oh and because of its aura is a constant threat, you can not SAVE or REST if you summoned a FDD. you must kill it (is boring and pointless) or get the patch!

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Thanks for the replies !
    Since my game is fully patched I can only summon greater boneguards or zombie lords. (what were the best possible undead summons before the patch ?)

It was a natural rolled 1, something like this:

cleric: 8+17=25 succeed
    paladin: 1+28=29 failed

Since my cleric always has 1-2 raise dead spells memorized this was rather funny than terrible:
    25 high enough, 29 too low ... :confused: :grin:

Since there were no real enemies left any more I finished this map easily.

Since I didn't get noteworthy XP this undead must have been far lower than level 15.

Is there anything available on the net where you can read the exact stats of the monsters ?

10. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Tried DaleKeeper II?

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

A 1 is always a failure and a 20 is always a success. Since the pally rolled a 1, he failed and died.

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Yes, and high level characters generally tend to fail their saves ONLY when they roll 1. But it happens so frequently!

MY, my cool beyond words, 28 int and 30 wisdom Silverstar/Evoker rolled a 1 and failed a WILL save against Madae's Mass Dominate! He had something like more than +30! :nuts:

The sheer dissapoinment and loathing! :bang:

13. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Kmonster, I think that the most powerful 2 pre-patch undead were the Festering Drowned Dead and the Apocolypse BoneGuards.

(Not sure that I'd qualify FDD's as "best", given their deadly aura.)

14. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

If your charecter keeps failing his saves because he rolled a 1, try casting Luck beforehand. That should eliminate the roll of 1.

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Really? Never tried Luck spell in IWD2, though in BG2 it had a very poor duration which made it obsolete in combat situations. Though good when trying to pickpocket, open a lock etc.

16. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The duration is 10 rounds in IWD2...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.