1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Feminist raving... or...?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Jun 14, 2008.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Take a look:

Here.

Looks like typical feminist raving at first glance. But doesn't it actually make some sense after all, once you read it again without paying so much attention to the tone in which it's framed or the countless legal irregularities. After all, most of the facts or predictions are reasonable. Still, we couldn't really handle things that way, not in our culture. It would be wrong. Nonetheless, those feminists do make at least some sense, don't they? Your thoughts? I'd rather a general discussion of the subject since obviously, the arguments from that site can be put to shreds in a couple of seconds (regardless of the fact they make some sense), so please try to limit the urge to quote parts of that particular text I'm linking.

2. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Chev...........have you been drinking again?

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I think this is the only part that I find illogical. I'll admit the vast majority of rapists are men, but how many women use revocation of sex as a threat and the offer of sex as a reward to get what they want?

Of course, I can see two fallouts of this. One, unsigned statements of consent being sold as frequently as condoms (ok, probably more so). Two, since the law cannot be gender biassed, I forsee a lot more men accusing women of rape, especially those who are themselves accused.
    Woman- "I didn't want it and you can't prove I did, so it's rape!"
    Man- "Well I didn't want it either, and you can't prove I did, so you raped me!"
    :lol:

4. chevalier

Media:
    Technically, that wouldn't be rape since sex withdrawal would be the tool used in obtaining other goods, so that'd be extortion. :p :lol:

An obvious effect of a presumption of non-consent would be rape on both sides, yeah. But they could justify it with the fact the man's most typically stronger than the woman.

I used to think such laws would never pass anyway, unless they tried in Sweden. But anyway, regardless of the fact it so falls short of any standards of law, isn't it peculiar how actually right she is is on the facts and likely also on the predictions?

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Feminist raving, yes, but they address some valid points. If the estimate of rapists getting away with it in reported cases is anywhere close, then there is an obvious problem.

But I don't think that the proposed legislation will solve anything...

Perhaps the crown proves sexual contact and states the accusation that it was unwelcome, while the burden of proof of consent falls to to the defense. Simple drunkenness would not be enough to convict. Castration, if implemented should have safeguards similar to that associated with the death penalty (that's as far down that path as I am prepared to go). Further, I would like to see fraud or gross deception added as conditions that invalidate consent.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm going to go with feminist raving and it makes no sense at all. One of the cornerstones of our culture is "innocent until proven guilty". Another cornerstone is "No cruel and unusual punishment". I am very curious as to how the author feels about the death penalty. Should the penalty for a woman who does falsely accuse a man of rape be that she should be sentenced to live naked in a maximum security "male" prison for as long as she should live?

As a man, I take offense at the implication that I am just a "rapist waiting to happen" that is implied by the tone and attitude of the article. The comments to the posting are even more scary than the posting itself.

While rape is truly a horrible crime, people have to remember that "regret" is not "rape".

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I would scratch "typical feminist raving" and replace it with "utter madness raving" instead. I've known some very hard-line feminists, and while I disagree with many of their assumptions they were certainly not crazy. "Section 2" is the only passage in the article that makes sense. Removing the presumption of innocence from ANY crime is utterly ridiculous, regardless of what the crime is. The whole point of a balanced judicial system is that "charged" and "convicted" are not the same thing.

Section 3 is even more ludicrous, especially combined with #1 and the removal of the presumption of innocence. Is the next logical step to castrate every man who's accused of rape? Shall we also adopt Saudi Arabia's laws and cut off thieves' hands and, while we're on the subject of sex, stone adulterous women to death? Utterly ridiculous.

Section 4 would be funny if she wasn't so dead serious. The whole point of that section is to negate sexist views of women, yet it is entirely based on a sexist view of men instead! Of course, her sexist views are an absolute and "not up for debate" just because she says so, and everyone who disagrees with her is a male chauvinistic pig, a rapist and should be castrated on the spot :rolleyes:

The Great Snook likes this.
  8. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Preposterous. Accusations would be flung every which way, and those unable to produce an alibi would have their balls cut off. It's insane.

I find it worse to throw an innocent man in jail (or other, nastier things) than to let a guilty man go free. However, I might approve of a law similar to the one above, but for multiple-conviction offenders only. Here in Sweden, there are reports of new rapes almost every day, with stories of how some people rape, get thrown in jail (or more oftenly, go free) and rape again. For those people, with enough evidence of a psychotic pattern, I am for stripping them of their assets and killing them (to make it financially attractive as well). The same goes for child molesters, but perhaps with a lower threshold for the maximum punishment. And I do not thing my views are morally reprehensible, because in my mind, sexual offenders, especially for those with childen involved, are some of the worst scum walking the earth.

At the same time though, hard evidence must be present for any such punishment to take place, which is probably in most cases impossible to produce. For example, if a female regrets the act afterwards (because the guy bails afterwards), and then decides to take that to the police, then I would almost say that she should be punished (not harshly, but false accusations of this kind are pretty grave as well).

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

The way I see it, this seems to be some sort of revenge against how women have been treated in the past and how their legal rights have been undermined. She pretty much goes on to admit it herself by saying the following:

EDIT: Noticed chev's guideline about quoting the article, sorry. ;)

As to rape in general, it's a serious crime but so is murder and still it's treated with the presumption of innocence. There is no reason to treat rape with different standards in my honest opinion.

10. chevalier

Media:
    Yup.

Yup.

Another thing is that I don't like the implication that rape is merely sex without consent - consent being understood as something akin to consent to a contract. That's wrong since there's more to a crime than objective circumstances - there's always the part about guilt apart from the more physical part of facts. Same way, it's completely absurd that victims should decide if a crime has been committed, as if it were a matter subject to their judgement. Still, obviously, mistaken belief of consent is utterly awful as a fake line of defence, together with most of "she was asking for it" kind of defences.

Of course. That's why I decided to skip those parts and concentrate on the merits. It's easy to prove that this particular feminist is off-balance, but really, does it make no sense at all what she says?

I think feminists have quite a different definition from the rest of people. Suffice to say their definition is very subjective. "Sexual contact which leaves a bad feeling," seems to be more like it sometimes. Pre-WW2 Polish law knew the crime of "seduction". Some of regret-inducing or emotionally manipulative cases would qualify. I do believe rape can be committed by fraud, not just force, but pulling a guilt trip on a medically sane person is not there.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  11. Ziad

Media:
    I'm certainly not going to try and defend the sexism women have been subjected to in the past (not to mention the horrifying treatment they still get in parts of the world), but turning this into "you've mistreated us, now's your turn" is utterly ridiculous. This idiocy is precisely the reason many people still refuse to take feminism seriously. Unfortunately it can be hard to remember that many, many feminists are more concerned with finding actual solutions than with spewing venom ("loud minority" syndrome strikes again).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Isn't the guilt of a criminal a direct consequence of his acts? Or did I completely miss what you meant by "guilt"?

I don't think either should have a place in a trial. It's certainly not up to the accused to decide if a crime has been committed, but by the same token it should not be up to the victim either. The whole point of having a third party (and a fourth one, in systems where the jury and the judge each have their own role) is for someone completely neutral to judge if there's been a crime, based on the facts. I also don't like certain implications if the victim gets to decide about the criminality of the matter. Take a (sadly not uncommon) case of a drunk man forcefully having sex with a sober woman against her will, with her actively trying to prevent the act. In my opinion this would qualify as rape. Now take another case, where both the man and the woman are drunk, and the woman does not object to the sex. Later they sober up and she decides she didn't want the sex - does that qualify as rape? What if he decides he didn't want the sex?

I don't know many feminists that would define it as such. At least the ones who I've had this conversation with tend to a less ambiguous definition - they all stressed that they would consider it rape only if it was forced on them. Now all of them specified that the forcefulness did not necessarily have to be physical, and in the case of more "mental" dominance can be a bit tricky (is an abusive husband also a rapist?). However, my understanding is that the force/dominance factor has to be there at the time, so "bad feeling afterwards" does not automatically qualify (the bad feeling is therefore immaterial, legally speaking, because if it stems from the use of force then the situation can be considered as rape anyway).

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Probably, but you'd not likely get a conviction. I wouldn't shed any tears if the guy did get his balls chopped off. I remember that John Bobbit's penis was the subject of a lot of rude jokes in the mid 1990's...

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is one of those lovely issues where there are no good answers. It will always end up as word against word unless there are injuries or witnesses to show in court. The entire discussion about an accusation being enough for conviction is bizarre but it is seriously being held in many countries amongst them Sweden. People are, quite rightly, very upset when accused sexual offenders are let go or when the court wants to ask the victim questions but we try to live according to the rule of law and if you do an accusation can never be enough for a conviction.

One thing that I think we as a society should do to deal with these sexual crimes is to undramatize them. A rape is basically an assault with the addition that our societies sees it as something truly horrible and stigmatizing even for the victim. The rape itself isnt that "bad" as evident that most victims prefer the rape over for example blows. The real violation arrives because we as a society charges this kind of assault with an extreme tension and making the victim more or less ashamed of being a victim. Who would be ashamed if someone beats the crap out of you? While you are ashamed if you get raped and then you receive extreme amounts of pity and are pretty much expected to be completely devastated and your life being ruined because of this crime. If we can remove that tension around the entire crime it would be so much easier to deal with while both removing some of the incentive for the rapists (because this tension and charge around this very specific crime is one of the big motives I am sure) and lessening the trauma on the victim.

I am fully aware that people will be able to misunderstand this in so many ways but praise internet anonymity.

14. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

This reminds me of a woman I saw back in the 80s on a talk show -- she said "All men are potential rapists." Which in it's face is true, I suppose, but by that same logic you could say "all humans are potential murderers", as they all have the physical capability to kill another human being.

Feminists love the idea of castration. It symbolizes for them a quick reversal of roles -- women have been made powerless for years, in one swift stroke a man is rendered powerless!

I would argue that she's just making noise to get attention. Rape is a reprehensible crime but altering the presumption of innocence is just complete and utter horse puckey. Of course, the feelings that surround sex and sexuality are extremely complicated, more than any legal system, and that being the case a topic like this is going to get people on edge.

I want to know how you stumbled across this psychotic woman's ravings.

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

One point I'd like to make though is that this sort of stuff is extremely radical feminism, and does not represent femnisim as a whole. Most feminist I know just seek to achieve equal status for women in society by getting them equal wages and representation in society. They'd never support this kind of bs.

16. chevalier

Media:
    It's difficult to be precise on that one since "act" already conveys some choice. "Facts" may as well describe the criminal's internal circumstances. Anyway, "guilty" is someone who can reasonably be charged with what he did. A madman or a child cannot incur guilt because he can't control his actions to such an extent. Same way someone who is in error cannot commit a crime unless the crime is able to be committed by negligence. So a man who actually really believes the woman is consenting and he has a good reason to believe so, does not commit rape even if the fictim feels raped afterwards. This is a little lacking, I believe. In a traditional legal view, she would not be a victim of rape because there would be no crime since the man wouldn't be guilty. I believe that goes too far. I believe such a woman should be considered a victim of rape in every aspect, regardless of the fact that the man would not commit a crime and would not be guilty.

My point of contention is that if the error is justifiable - and it very rarely is, let's face it - then there's no rape. For example if you're being accosted by your twin's partner and you don't know what's going on but you play along without asking questions. While the victim may feel raped (or even be so), you don't commit a crime. However, most instances of "mistaken belief or consent" are just instances of men being unable to accept a no.

Yeah.

Yeah, that's totally unfathomable to me as well. The victim is a witness or a prosecutor only, but never a judge.

Many people, including probably (sadly) lawyers, would believe that his drunkenness would be no excuse (as is the case with drunken drivers causing accidents), while her drunkenness would be a factor preventing consent. So he would be taking advantage of her drunkenness - while drunk himself. That would obviously be blatantly unjust.

By contrast, he would of course be able to accuse her of rape by taking advantage of his drunkenness, her own drunkenness then not being a mitigating factor for her, either. That would be totally untraditional and yet in a consequently traditional view such an accusation would at least have to be examined. In the end, a reasonable judge would conclude that both parties were in the same situation in which they induced themselves and thus no charge should be enforced. But surely you could find a judge who would sentence the guy.

Sure, but what did they mean by "forcing"? Would emotional manipulation and guilt trips be included? In fact, I wouldn't mind, really, except it would have to be clearly defined in the criminal law for clarity reasons and for fairness, and the same high standards of proof should be upheld so that no one can push through a bogus charge of rape by guilt trip. Of course, taking advantage of someone's depression or some other medical unit, by means of a fraudulent emotional game, is rape in my opinion - unless it falls under the lighter charge of "coercion".

Depends. If he uses threats of violence or deprivation of material means for her or the children, or some other such extortion, then it is already rape under most reasonable current laws.

But if he plays moods, it gets trickier. Generally if she's clinically depressed or if it's clear he's playing her for purely sexual gains, knowing that he's using unethical means with great impact (say he's bragging to his friends or family members about it, so that's how you know), then I would say that could be rape as well.

Yeah, if they change mind afterward, that's bogus. Obviously, if they discover something they justifiably didn't know before, it can be different - but this only if it's fraud on the man's part. Say he tells her he loves her and he begs her to show him how she loves him. Then he talks trash of her to his buddies or even just to her. As far as I remember, one of the female lawyers of the previous generation at my university won such a case against a man.

Exactly. One other thing that upsets me is when the means of defence are being legally limited. Sure, not all questions are relevant, but sometimes previous behaviour of the victim does matter. Say the victim is a witness and he or she has a false witness conviction. Shouldn't that matter when it comes to credibility and the witness statement of the victim is the only evidence?

I doubt that could help punish the offenders, though. In fact, isn't there a trend amongst the progressives to reduce the punishment for rape on those precise grounds? Then one suddenly gets more years in prison for taking away a purse or landing a punch than for raping the victim.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

In truly blatant cases (such as a fellow jumps out of the bushes at a complete stranger of a woman, drags her into the bushes, and rapes (or even tries to rape) her), then I'm in favor of some form of castration, though the civilized side of me would want it done medically or chemically. It's the gung ho approach that this woman takes, not to mention her "if you don't agree with me, it's because you advocate rape!" attitude, that makes me totally lose respect for anything she or her fellow militants have to say. She argues from a shrill, vitriolic, anger based perspective that is difficult to take seriously despite efforts to do so.

18. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

This is actually funny in a sick way. now please here me out before roasting me alive. I've made no secrets of the fact that my tastes are a bit.........twisted. Well like calls to like. Being a Sadistic Dominant, i attract Masochistic submissives & the #1 act (or roleplay if thats easier to understand) is the forceable rape/taken against their will scenario. This is requested by more than 9 out of 10 subs according to every Dom i have ever talked too.
    Now, please realise that every responsible Dom/Sub(s) group sets up a contract that clearly defines what is & isn't allowed during the scene & ALWAYS includes a safe word(usualy a different safe word for each participant) however these are NEVER, EVER any form of "no" or "stop or "quit" as these are part of the act. It is always something benign like "lemon" or "yellow" or "pudding".
    It's just strangely perverse that the worst offense against a woman is also the secret fantasy of so many. Not trying to say that it is of them all by any means.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  19. Ziad

Media:
    That's a tricky one. For one thing if I was in such a case my first instinct would be to say I'm the twin. If she still pushes for sex then there can be no guilt/crime/rape because she knows who I am and still wants the sex (I'll leave the moral implications aside for the sake of the argument). If I'm in a state where I've drunk myself into a stupor, I would go back to your statement: she may feel raped but she requested the sex and my only crime was to play along. As a side question, I know being drunk is usually not a legal excuse (and it shouldn't be) but in this particular case (where the drunkenness simply makes me more passive) would I be guilty? (again moral and family-values considerations aside)

It doesn't make sense to me. Why is her drunnkenness an excuse and his isn't? For that matter, if both were so drunk (and are therefore unlikely to have a crystal clear recollection of what led up to the sex anyway) who's to say she didn't acutally propose, or at least overtly encourage him? Keep in mind that in my theoretical case I specifically said that, at the time of the sex, they were both consenting. Obviously if she was trying to push him away and he forced it, then whether she was drunk or not (or to be honest whether he was or wasn't) is immaterial and it would be rape in any case.

OK that makes even less sense. So whoever makes the accusation first has a higher chance of winning? I'm sensing a disturbing morale out of the story: if you have sex while drunk, with someone who's drunk, make sure you accuse them of rape as soon as possible, just to be on the safe side.

She didn't define it in a legal term at the time (that's what we have you lot for ;) ) but she did include heavy emotional manipulation. By heavy she meant serious emotional games such as taking advantage of someone's depression, threats targeted at her when the man knows she is emotionally fragile (she mentioned threats against the woman's young children. I assumed she meant if they are from a previous marriage). Obviously things like "If you don't have sex with me I will cry" don't quite fit the bill and she dismissed casual (well, she called them "lame") excuses. However I do agree with you that the actual type of manipulation would need to be very clearly defined in legal terms to prevent abuse, both of bogus charges as well as bogus defences.

I would agree that this man's actions were vile, but I would still not call it rape. Does lying in order to have sex automatically qualify as rape? Say I lie to a woman and tell her I'm filthy rich, which causes her to have sex with me. If she later finds out I'm not rich, does this make me a rapist? A liar, a cheat, a horrible man, yes, but rape seems far too harsh.

It should matter even more if the false witness conviction was in another case connected with rape accusations (double points if she was the "victim" there as well). Though I'm also wary of automatically discrediting the victim-witness because of such cases, because she may be actually telling the truth the second time around.

I don't see it as fitting at all. "He's done something horrible so let's do something even more horrible in the name of justice" feels to me like the worst subversion of a judicial system that you could possibly have. This was the concept of crime and punishment 5000 years ago. I would like to believe we've become more civilised since then.

Truly, no. As I said before, section 2 is the only one that even comes close to making sense (and even that one she ruined simply because she's sexist - great way to promote anti-sexism :rolleyes:). The rest would be laughable if rape wasn't such a serious matter.

20. chevalier

Media:
    If you knew you were being mistaken for your twin, you could probably earn a criminal charge that way - certainly a civil tort. My example was a situation when the supposed victim made the mistake but the supposed offender didn't know a mistake was being made, so he could in no way be taking advantage of it. In my example you don't know the person knows your twin. You just know the person is hitting on you, as unlikely as it is that e.g. the name won't pop up. Just academically here - normally in practical life such mistakes won't happen.

Because he's the offender tried under a criminal charge. If you're drunk, it doesn't count as an excuse but rather as an aggravating factor. In her case, the drunkenness amounted to having low barriers. So in a way, he, while also drunk himself, was taking advantage of her drunkenness. Obviously, this only makes sense from a legal perspective and one which is somewhat prosecutorial. A public prosecutor could actually see it like this.

Now, if he accused her of taking advantage of him, it would be reversed. He could claim he wasn't consenting because he was unable to, while her being drunk wouldn't excuse a criminal action consisting in taking advantage of a drunken person.

Of course they were. However, some lawyers and some feminists experiment with valid consent, as in contracts, rather than factual consent. I think that's rubbish, if you know my opinion. They're simply mixing a contract-law-based definition of consent into criminal law, which is a different regime.

This particular example is tricky because 1) drunkenness is not an excuse in crime (ignorant first timers excepted), 2) drunkenness removes the ability to consent to acts which are criminal if non-consensual. So two drunken people doing something basically means they can't theoretically consent. So taking our absurd example even further, you could actually jail both of the drunken people just so long as they were both somewhat active.

Not exactly. Whoever pushes the charge wins. They could actually charge each other and each win. At least so long as they could find a dumb enough judge. In real life, either the man would get a sentence or none of them, but not both. However, my academic dissections show that if one were to be consequent in that reasoning which relies on the assessment of drunkennes as both removing the ability to consent AND also at the same time not being an excuse, then both would have to be sentenced.

A man could actually do that, although I can't realistically expect him to succeed. It would have to be a very extreme case.

Generally it'd have to be some malicious manipulation which actually breaks someone's will or makes use of a situation in which a person can't defend himself. Depression is one thing, a bad day with a lot of self-pity and temporarily lowered standards is another.

That's hard to say. Your example is like having sex with a prostitute and refusing to pay afterward. It does mean you cheated someone into sex, but it hardly "feels" to be rape. If it were something more relationship-related and less shallow, then maybe.

Yeah. Any witness should be heard and considered, but one also has to evaluate the credibility.

Yeah, but do you know how many women go through it and the assailants go unpunished? Just in the US, 20% women have faced an attempt and 25% a successful attempt. That means one in four. It's a vile crime and one particularly low and selfish. I wouldn't cry into my beer if they one day decided to punish it a bit more physically, although I wouldn't most probably introduce that kind of punishement if it were up to me.

It just strikes me as somewhat truthful that in reality, mostly abusive men would be targeted by a presumption of non-consent - regardless of the fact it would fall so close to presumption of guilt that we wouldn't be able to accept it because we presume innocence, not guilt. Otherwise she's actually pretty right.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.