1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite Spell!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

[​IMG] Allright, here's how it's gonna be. All you have to do is add your favourite spell in the entire Baldur's Gate Series right here! Just add all the details and why it's your favourite!

Magic Missle, Level 1, Evocation

Why this spell ... ever since I saw Gorion pelt the absolute sh!t out of Sarevok in BG1 have i loved this spell to bits!!! And i still use it in EVERY battle all the way to the end of ToB!!! One of the best spells for disturbing mages, cause some quick damage or just distracting people. Oh yes, did i mention it looks great as well! Truely the most terrific spell of all time!!! :D
    Truely a great spell

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Well, ignoring the uber-powerful spells like Creeping Doom, etc. ('cos that'd be boring ;) ) I think I'll name a couple, as I'm stuck between 2:

Slow, level 3, Alteration

A slightly non-obvious choice, perhaps, but there are some very good reasons why Slow is a fabulously utilitarian spell. Firstly, it can effect pretty much anything. Unlike the various Hold... spells, no class of monster is by default Slow-immune (and no, monks don't count! :p ;) ). Secondly, it packs a -4 save penalty: that just plain rocks, ensuring that the spell is still useful even into ToB. Thirdly, it has a very wide area of effect, allowing many more targets to be slowed than could be held. I find this spell to be the default "disabler" that my party throws down, and the fact that it ignores party members (unlike a fireball) means that this is often the only level 3 spell my pure/dual mages memorise. Also, combine with Haste for the ultimate rendition of "The Quick and the Dead"! :evil:

Mirror Image, level 2, Illusion

I fell in love with this one back in BG1 when it was more badass than BG2's Stoneskin, but over a shorter duration. In BG2, they made it less unbalanced by adding a small chance of still getting hit, and ToB finally perfected it by making all the images stand in a circle rather than a line. Sure, it's been usurped slightly by Stoneskin, but in terms of the idea, the implementation and appearance of the spell in-game, it's just superb. Easily one of the coolest concepts for a spell, and the one I miss most in Neverwinter Nights.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Absolute favorite: stoneskin. 100% protection from all physical damage, no matter the source. Also lasts for a very long time, quick to cast, and when combined with mirror image, you're basically invulnerable against golems and such.

Second spell of choise: magic missile. It simply works where the higher level spells fail, and when you cast it four times every turn, it also causes huge damage with NO saves.

4. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I have a lot of favorites, so I'll list a few.

Flame Arrow, once the caster is level 10 or more. Massive damage to one target, really handy.

Protection From Magical Weapons. I've had a lot of fun times with this one. There's something utterly satisfying when a mind flayer, vampire or a dragon gets the "weapon ineffective" message.

Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. Because of the title. The spell itself is overpowered, but I love the title. A lot of people refer to this as Horrid Wilting, but I always think of it as Abi-Dalzim, even in IWD2 where it's simply called Horrid Wilting.

5. Tim Tim Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

level 3 - Melf's Minute Meteors

I still don't understand how could I went through SOA without it on my first 2 attempts

I'm not even sure if there's a limit of how many balls a spellcaster can create so later in the game it's deadly. and since I tend to have at least 2 spellcasters in my party it's bye bye golems, vampires and pretty much everything else all from the safe distance

6. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Timestop. Do i really need to tell you why? :grin:

7. Darkstrike Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Improved Alacrity, and thats all I have to say

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Melf's Acid Arrow Level 2

The *other* spell that smacks Sarevok around. :grin:

Sleep Level 1

It is the spell to learn and have memorized in BG1.

9. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I love so many spells, I am a spell-maniac!

Well, I love Mirror Image, it is the perfect defense spell for that level, beats Blur badly.

Web is excellent for cheesy tactics as well as normal cobat if you are immune to it.

Glitter dust is cool, and useful for Invisible and SI:Divination'ed foes. It also blinds most.

Slow:powerful!

Flame Arrow:20d6 damage cap makes this baby killer!

Stoneskin, probably the best defene spell ever!

Cloudkill is very useful, it kills annoying critters like UmberHulks fast.

Ice Storm and Cone of Cold are cool, I love cold damage spells and these are precious!

Sunfire:Ignores MR, perfect drow killer!

Flesh to Stone:Cast the reverse on the victim, kill him for double XP! It is so cool too! I once petrified every hostile pirate on Brynlaw, they looked funny!

Project Image:This is uber powerful, immensely useful in long battles, you can throw all of your spells without fear!

Finger of Death:It is the ultimate killer spell around, esp. after a GMalison and Dooms.

Incendiary Fog:Massive damage to immobile enemies like Elder Brain! It is capable of doing 20-80 damage each round.

Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting:This spell talks for itself!

Powerword, Blind: It has a radius, and it completely makes ranged attackers and casters out of the fight!

Do priest spells count?

Doom:They stack, and this makes them hugely powerful!

Hold Person:Once the victims fail the save, they are as good as dead!

HolySmite:Casted in a flurry in an Imp.Alacrity it packs a serious punch!

Harm:This is a joke! No save is even allowed!

Greater Restoration:Uber healing spell! Every person is healed, restored, completely, and in a blink of eye! Perfect!

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Stoneskin, Mirror Image, and pretty much any spell that does damage over a long period. (Melf's AA, Cloudkill, Death Fog, Incendiary Fog, etc.)

11. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, we have the good old Magic Missile. :D
    I try to use it in every battle!

12. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Breach! It works great for my current party - two fighters, two paladins, an archer and a sorcerer.

13. Cantlos Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'd go for Tenser's transformation (with my blade). For some reason there's something satisfying about the entire putting it in a contingency, getting pummeled, trigger it, and beat the sh-t out of just about anything.

Insect plague is also one of my favourite's. There were some tough mage battles that became a piece of cake with this one.

14. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Nahal's Reckless Dweomer and a 19 Intelligence.

The possibilities are just wonderful.

15. HairySun Gems: 3/31

Definitely going with Melf's Minute Meteors... you get 20 at max and they aren't a half bad weapon for a mage, not to mention its good for killing lots of trolls

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...I'd have to think.

For mages:
    Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, is by far the best area spell, Stoneskin is the best 'cast on self' spell, and Comet is the best single enemy/close effect spell of all time! :thumb:

For clerics/Druids:
    Heal is awsome, as is Harm. Creeping doom is the best area effect spell, Mass Resurection comes in handy durring the latter parts of ToB, Sunray is awsome for taking down vampires, and many of the summoning spells are quite good too.

Too choose a single spell for each type of caster, I'd go with Comet for mages, Creeping Doom for druids, and Heal for clerics. :rolling:

17. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Sunray because it looks the coolest.
    Stoneskin because it's the best defensive spell.
    Magic Missile because it's the most often-used spell.

18. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

skull trap is fun as is web as is pretty much all the spells. They all have uses. even the useless ones!

19. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I know i said it before, but magic missle! Combined with Improved Alacrity, it just becomes awesome! And considdering it was already awesome ... it becomes TERRIFIC!!!

By the way, has anyone ever tried a combination of greater malison, slow, hold person and then skull trap ... it can be done really early and because just watching it makes me smile! :D

20. jA Gems: 3/31

Black Blade of Disaster! Is sets your long sword skill to grand mastery!Good whit F/M or F/M/T etc.
    Time Stop-->>cast your spells while others stand stil..hehe
    Improved Alacrity-->>cool whit robe of vecena!
    Magic Missle-->>??!!do i have to explain?

[EDIT]
    And whit BBD you can backstab..hehe..

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.