1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite DJ?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Gehn, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

This probably only applies to any sp'ers who are into electronic music. But seeing as there are quite a few that i have seen on these boards, i was just wondering what DJ's are really doing it for you guys.
    It's all very well seeing what producers you are into from previous topics, but a DJ encompasses a whole sound not just a specific style within a genre. So, lets say...your top 5 dj's then.
    Mine are:
    1 James Zabiela
    2 Tiga
    3 Lottie
    4 Pete Tong
    5 Phil Kieran
    There are many more who would share those top spots, but at the moment they are my favourites.
    Oh, reasons for your choices would be very welcome. I would have done them for mine, but i want to find out about you guys first :spin:

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

1. DJ Krush - just plain rocks the beatz.
    2. Amon Tobin - Guy from Montreal. Very odd sounding, very talented muscician.
    3. Paul Oakenfield - that one song from the matrix blows my mind.
    4. Orbital - Halycon & On & On is the best song ever. The only techno I'll ever listen to comes from these guys.
    5. DJ Shadow - for some reason his stuff reminds me of dark jungles with elves prowling around searching for something. Very cool.

3. Lady Luthien Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I like David Guetta, though he may be a little too commercial nowadays...
    Apart from that, there's this guy DJ Vladimir who works at a night-club I sometimes go to> he's russian (like me :D ), and he plays some good music (trance, house and sometimes jungle), plus, he is really good looking :rolleyes: ...

4. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    DragonJewel, Of course :p

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'm not into the whole DJ scene but if I had to say one it's:

Tiesto

6. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Lady Luthien... I have a few MP3s of DJ Vladamir. Although I have to say it's pretty run of the mill stuff, but good.

7. Lady Luthien Gems: 6/31

@ Mystra's Chosen

Well he isn't a genious but it's good dancing music (ahh.. when it comes to dancing!).
    I'd really appreciate it if you could send me your mp3s, I'm actually on the look for a soundtrack for my contemporary dance class... :D

Edit: Actually, I've just realised there are lots of DJ's out there. Are you talking about DJ Vladimir playing with Alain Corleone at the VIP Room (75008 Paris)?
    If not, that's fine, send them in anyway ;) (I need the sound, man!).

[ April 08, 2004, 16:21: Message edited by: Lady Luthien ]

8. Gehn Gems: 7/31

Wow, this topic finally got some replies :whoa:
    I knew there were some electronic music lovers here on sp!
    Amon Tobin, now there's a name. Very interesting producer in my opinion too.
    @ Mystra's chosen - Orbital do make some great techno :D , but there is much better stuff out there that people should give a chance. Don't get me wrong, i'm not a fan of the thumping, no-brainer, nosebleed inducing stuff (although on occasion...), but there is truly brilliant techno about these days. Much more musical, percussive, ambient influenced stuff. Like what's coming out of france eg Agoria, Laurent Garnier and even Daft Punk when they decide not to be commercial sellouts. Also, people like Phil Kieran and labels like Carl Cox's Intec are begining to make people see techno's potential. It's a great genre if you listen to the right stuff.

9. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

dunno :hmm: PVD I suppose. I don't really like that type of crap unless I am out of my face :hahaerr:

10. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'm also not wholly into the DJ scene, but I've found DJ Tiësto to be pretty good. DJ Jean isn't too bad either, on occasion.

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Should be Tiësto, yes. He actually got several awards for being Worlds Best DJ, blabla. First DJ in concert, btw.

Tough I don't like trance etc that much (perhaps when I am in the good mood, club and with the right people and music), I could name some:

Ferry Corsten
    Dave Seaman
    Paul Oakenfeld/field/fold

Mystra's Chosen: Krush is a nice one for Drum&Bass, iirc he was with Roni Size & Reprazent.

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Lady Luthien...

Sorry, my mistake. I have stuff from DJ Vadim. Oops.

MoN...

DJ Krush is defenitely with Roni Size, but I don't know bout Reprazent.

EDIT: Holy crap batman! I can't believe I forgot about Kruder & Dorf! They top my alltime list.

13. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] Antoine Clamaran
    A DJ from France - Paris even?
    He rocked the club so damn good that I didnt know what to do with myself. :grin:

Bad Boy Bill
    Great time we had with that one.

Disco Boys
    They never fail you. :D

There are others but I am too lazy to use my brain right now.

14. Gehn Gems: 7/31

Big respect to Kruder and the Dorfmeister!

So what about producers for you guys? If i had to pick an all time favourite, i'd have to say Aphex Twin. The guy is just a genius. So many flavours, so many sounds and genres all blended together in his work. So diverse. So untouchable!

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Agreed! The K&D sessions are, well, worth listening to. :) Nothing to do with trance, but lounge needs some good dj's too. Peter Kruder would be at the top of my list.

Eh? You simply can't divide the whole lot. Reprazent is: Onallee, DJ Die, DJ Suv, MC Dynamite, Krust (Not Krush, sorry) and probably someone I forgot. Brown Paper Bag is one of their biggest hits. If you like it, check out their albums 'New Forms' and 'In the Mode'. ;) (Talkin Loud label, iirc)

16. Lady Luthien Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] @ Dendri

Antoine Clamaran is in fact one of the best french DJs around (can't believe I forgot him!).
    I was lucky enough to get passes for his night at the Gibus, in Paris, recently and it was really awesome! :D

I think he's on tour in Europe now since we got some passes to a night-club in Switzerland where he is supposed to be on 24th April...

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Whenever I hear DJ Tiesto I can't help but think "OK, this isn't bad music, but I wish he'd chuck some mroe bass in and power the music up a bit!!".

My fav DJ's are Fatboy Slim, Paul Oakenfold, DJ Dread D, DJ Charmzy and loads of other mixers and MC's you prolly won't have heard of :cool:

18. Gehn Gems: 7/31

@ Morsmordre - I know what you mean. He is a more musical type of DJ. But it depends, he can rock it to. I've heard him drop some really pulsating, bass dripping tunes. When he is at a club he plays a bit more full on i think. But his mix cd's and radio mixes are on the more eclectic, melodious side. Still he is an awesome DJ, and one who people coming from all walks of mucic can appreciate.

19. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

best tunes ever follow...

Air - All I Need
    Telepopmusik - Breathe
    Aim - Cold Water Music
    Orbital - Halycon & On & On
    K&D - Bomb the bass (I think that's what it's called. My album case is in the other room)
    A Forest Mighty Black - Everything

Some lounge, some trance, and some elec. All good tunes man. This is my sleeper mix.

20. Gehn Gems: 7/31

There's some damn good shiyat there Mystra's Chosen! Haven't heard the last tune on your list though.
    I'd have to say mine are:

Cajmere - Midnight (feat Walter Philips)
    Phonogenic - Generations (Jesper Dahlback mix)
    Ano Rago - You're God (i:cube mix)
    Telefon Tel Aviv - Sound In A Dark room
    Ernest St Laurent - Clumsy Lobster
    Dave Brennan - Drink Deep (Zabiela's Vox mix)
    Curve - Free Falling (Aphex Twin mix)
    Playgroup - Front 2 Back (Todd Terry mix)
    Ficta - Eli (Zabiela's mix)
    Kraftwerk - Tour de France (2003 rework)

Yep, those are my 10 all timers. There's techno, electronica, electro-house, house, ambient/instrumental chillout. All my main musical flavours are there. Don't know if i could put them in order of priority though :hmm: :confused: Nope, never gona happen.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.