1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite Alcoholic Drink?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    This for me is a very hard question to answer. Alcohol happens to be one of my (many) vices. I like anything from fine red wines, to single malt whiskeys, to local micro-brewery real ales, right over to 'standard fare' European lagers.

Normally I can be found sampling locally brewed ales, but I've shelved those for the moment. Right now I've a flavour for Estrella Damm, a Spanish lager. Sharp, crisp and easy to drink. That and South Australian merlot's.

If I had to give a favourite drink of all time though, it would have to be the indian pale ale, Jaipur...

[​IMG]

It's gorgeous, delectable, and what's more.... it's brewed just up the road from me.

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Probably Guinness. I've never been much of a whiskey drinker but I'm starting to experiment with that.

[​IMG]

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    My favorite beer is whatever one that happens to be in my hand, and I honestly couldn't name one beer that I like so much better than all the rest. So I suppose I'd need more of a list of beers I like. In no particular order: Sam Adams, Yuengling Lager, Guinness, Bass, Harp, Blue Moon, and probably a dozen others that I'm leaving off the list.

Now that the summer months are rolling around, I'll indulge in mixed drinks some more, and nothing beats a Bombay Sapphire gin and tonic on a warm summer night.

Vices are just too much fun. I'm the same way - name a vice, and I probably like it. Drinking, smoking, gambling - you name it. Name any enjoyable activity you can think of, and if you incorporate a vice along with it, it invariably improves it.

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    Blue Moon is really good. And Yuengling isn't too bad, a bit 'ten a penny' as my dad would say, but it's not nasty.

Oh Alders, tell me about it. I have every vice going. I drink too much, smoke too much, gamble too much and have become dangerously close a drug habit a time or two! (although I hasten to add I will never actually allow that to happen - I'm a stubborn bastard when I've a mind to be). Life would be so ****ing boring without vices!

Oh by the way Americans, I've tasted that *thing* you have over there posing as Guinness, and it should be done under the trade descriptions act!

5. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I don't drink beer; I've never developed a taste for it and Guinness makes me violently ill. (Yes, I live in Ireland. Sad, sad thing.) My usual drink of choice is Kopparberg pear cider - it is really light and enjoyable, although I do appreciate Bullmers, too. The original apple, their pear is vile. I'm also partial to red wine, especially merlots, and for some reason Australian ones.

And of course, vodka :D With red bull, preferably.

Says the one with too many vices to list here...

6. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Any beer that is on tap :) Amstel, Hertog-Jan, Warsteiner, Guinness and last summer in England I got a taste for Stella Artois. (Beer might not be the right name for all, but I always get confused between beers, stouts, ales and lagers :) )

When I venture away from the "standard" tap beers I quite like a Karmeliet, Pauwel Kwak or Desperados in the summer.

Besides beers, I love single malt whiskey and I often drink Beerenburg in my coke (it's a Dutch liquor, I don't even think there is an English name for it).

7. Gaear

Media:
    Do you mean the bottled extra stout, Barmy? I don't care for that as much, but according to Guinness itself, the draught is the same here as in Ireland.

I have heard the popular opinion that Guinness in Ireland is best due to freshness though, and I wouldn't doubt that.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    It was bottled from a Walmart or something that I got it from, so yeah probably. It might be OK in its own right, but I expected it to taste like Guinness and it just didn't lol. Then I got one on draught in a restaurant which wasn't very nice either, but that might have just been the previous experience playing on my mind. Guinness here tastes different though I thought, thicker and tastier.

It was great in America actually, really enjoyed it. I'd go again in a heartbeat. A holiday to New York around Christmas time is definitely on my to-do list! Take in an NHL game too :).

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    For lighter drinking, Guinness. For heavier drinking, Lagavullin double matured.

If it's colorless, I'm not drinking it.

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    You see that's kinda my point. I'm not trying to belittle the US or anything lol, but none in the UK, not one swinging dick would call Guinness a light drink. I think over there its deliberately changed to make it more likeable with the mass market. Over here its basically a 'love it or hate it' drink because of how heavy and thick it is. The running joke up and down the country is that Guinness is a 'meal in a glass' :).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Barmy - I was being a bit sarcastic with the "light" comment. I don't like typical American lagers, I think they're piss. The light/heavy has more to do with alcohol content than thickness of the brew. I like to drink my beer with a fork.

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    Ah fair enough pal. Yea I know American lagers are literally like being raped when you drink them. Absolutely dank. America has produced some decent beers tho, I was a bit surprised myself, but they have! Blue moon, sierra nevada and a few other American ales I've tried have been mint. A bit rich and obviously full of calories haha, but that's America isn't it. Very nice none the less.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

13. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Mesmero, Stella (AKA Wife-beater) is a lager, not a beer :)

14. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't drink a lot, its not my preference. But when I do drink its generally vodka mixed with something.

15. Gaear

Media:
    Nothing straight to vodka ... sounds like a recipe for trouble! :eek: (I shouldn't talk - nothing to whiskey is probably worse. ;))

I had a nice smooth whiskey a couple weeks ago that I can't for the life of me remember the name of now. Pisses me off. It was something rather micro-ish.

16. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Silvery... lager is a beer.

My favourite is a nice single malt, Penderyn being top of the list.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  17. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I am anything but a connoisseur when it comes to what I drink, but lately I've become a fan of a local pilsner called Mr. Huff.

Other than that I'll generally drink an ale like Alexander Keith's. The one thing I can't stomach anymore is Heineken, but that stems from an unfortunate all-you-can-drink Oktoberfest event when I was 19 ;)

18. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    That's why I avoid tequila.... you guys remember my 19th birthday.... :D

19. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah but if you go into a pub and ask for beer you're not going to get offered lager unless they're really pedantic or American :lol:

20. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That is a good drink! I prefer Islay whiskeys for stronger drinks and Lagavulin is probably on top of that list (well, actually my best friend has an Islay of about 30 years old. Very nice!). Ardbeg is good too. My cabin also contained a bottle of Bruichladdich, Bowmore and Laphroaigh. Unfortunately, all whiskey bottles are empty now.
    Recently been to a whiskey tasting in a n old mill here in my city. I learned quite a lot. :)

For regular larger: Hertog Jan. In summer a white beer like Paulaner or Grolsch Weizen
    There are many special beers I like. Usually Belgian. Leffe Blond is what I stockpile most in my house when it comes to beer (other than Hertog Jan).

In bars I usually start with larger (no Heineken!), and later get coke with Jack Daniels, no ice.

Sometimes I drink port and red wine. I hardly ever drink white wine.
    I never had Cognac, but I should try it some time. My dad and brother couldn't stand that stuff and didn't feel well after, so I never bothered yet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.