1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite punk band?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by DragonRider SkyWard, Nov 3, 2001.

1. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Whats your favorite punk band? Mine are Sum 41 and Blink 182.

2. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Forgive me, but is Blink182 a band with punk mentality? Punk is Sex pistols, Ramones, Iggy Pop and the stooges, or mybe Rancid from the newer ones.
    Punk's not dead?!

3. Erm... Sum 41 is *not* punk...

4. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31

I think that Sum 41 is just another boring guitar-pop band from the USA like Blink 182 with some punk effects. Am I right?

5. Grojlach Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I believe they're labelling Sum 41 and Blink 182 as punk rock, not as punk; there's a difference between the two.
    And anyway, to stay on topic: Propaghandi, At the Drive-in and The (International) Noise Conspiracy are very good punk bands. Millencolin and The Get Up kids are my favourites in the punk rock scene, much better than anything Blink182 or Sum41 has ever released anyway.

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I'll kick it oldskool: Sex Pistols!!!

7. Inappropriate Synonym Banned

first my sister is a total idiot when it comes to music (she used to think smash-mouth was alternative) and secondly i have to say that the term punk is used so widely that the term defines the music from the very light (ska, i.e. planet-smashers) to the very hard and fast (ive seen some idiots try to claim slipknot was a punk band at some point) i generally like to claim the harder though distincly not metal music type i.e pennywise is punk , and everything else is to be considered pop-punk green-day (what happened to them? Nimorod was the only punk album they made) however im more of an expert on terms and defintions then actual bands (at-the-drive-ins is a great band under every circumstnaces however) . but personally i like the hardest of hard, chimaira, carcass, and older slipknot (i thought their new album was very near crap)

on a secondary note: many "punk" bands that are classified as punk aren't really punk and vice-versa, non-punk bands being classified as punk. i think i very nice case of this is the band system of a down, where they deviate so much from the term now that they should create a new genre

[This message has been edited by Inappropriate Synonym (edited November 03, 2001).]

8. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

Ok I'm about to blow!:flaming: Ok I'm taking it that all the people who posted are from a country other then the USA. I'm not dissing any of you looking for a fight and I'm not about to start something. But, Blink 182 is a big punk band here. BIG. Sum 41 is very big here too. I dont know any one who doesnt know listen to Sum 41. And who are the Sex Pistols??? Well my friend is here and she wants to say something to you too.

PuNkGuRl: To everybody who dissed Sum 41 and Blink 182- SCREW YOU! Cuz obviously you have no idea what good, fun music is...:) have a nice day.

(She said that not me, so dont be dissing on me!)

9. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

There's still punk out there. I don't remember where it changed from punk to punk rock. It seems like everything after Rancid took a more rockish type of feel to it. Nothing wrong with it. I like both styles personally. I went through highschool listening to Rancid. There still cool in my books. I'm glad to see others try to carry on the presence of punk (either thru the music or style), even though it's quite different.

What blows my mind are the punk rock rappers. It's like everyone is trying it out. The stuff is more melodic these days. It's not as raw as it used to be.

10. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Oh for heaven's sake, Dragonrider: Blink 182 and Pennywise are not punk. (Kisses to your friend.) I had heard "*** Authority" on the radio the other day and I was so depressed I had to go out and buy London Calling for my son. So I'm talking to the guy behind the counter, who assured me that the youth of today don't *ALL* think manufactured pap is subversive. So hopeful was I that I drove down there the next day and gave him all my old 45's -- Minor Threat, Subhumans, Crass...
    He was very surprised.
    Your unfortunate friend's point is taken, however, D. Being a purist is not Punk. I just hope that "punk" still means agressive music with words attacking societal norms -- because I know a Pepsi commercial when I hear one.

11. mark the beneficial shah Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I AM the Us. Blink 182 and sum 41, are musicly male oriented on a "Fun Love me Pop" type fairly land. BUT I do not believe they have what it takes to go head to head with the punk of even ten years ago.
    I respect music. I NEVER like to hear arguments over music. It is SO VERY powerful towards our species. PLEASE we need to understand that the music industry has TOO much power over us, because music is SO very powerful! PLEASE if you want to be true punk, download and trade!!! Destroy the music industry with patients and focus. They do not deserve to own that part of our souls that feel music. I know the need for money is strong, BUT they can make just as much if they play live. They just gotta get out of the studio and out of marketing's influence.

Oh, i hate the shit that calls itself punk now adays.

12. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

lol DragonRider SkyWard!!
    who are the sex pistols!!?? they are the freakin' epitome of punk! Ever heard of Sid Vicious?
    My god. Punk originated from Britan in the 70s man. And was more of attitude than anything. The Sex Pistols brought this out more than any other. Sid Vicious was a alcoholic druggie who couldnt play for nuts but was the centre of attraction in the band because of his ATTITUDE towards control. that is what a punk band is. Blink 182, Green Day, the like are not punk bands. they are rock or pop bands who play music in the style of punk. Picking up the musical traits of the old punk bands but little of the attitude.
    If Metallica starts playing some country songs would you call them a country band? F**k no. If beethovan started banging For whom the bell tolls on his piano would you call him a metalhead? F**k no. If some money making band comes forward with some catchy tunes in the style of punk should we call them a punk band? I say F**k no.

13. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Oh, Shah, it's *fun* to argue about music -- or anything, really -- with smart people.

About the music business, here is a link: http://www.hole.com/news/index.html
    Apparently Courtney Love is fighting the record industry practices that give us only clones of the last successful act, and screw the bands out of their money and creative freedom in the process. She made a very persuasive speech at the RIAA last year to that effect, perhaps it is on that site.

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I'm a punk. So I guess my favorite punk band is that gang of drunkards that keeps hangin' with me - all punks.

15. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] no! no! no! no! ok look, first: blink 182.. not punk! dodgy jumpy pop sh*te, if you want to hear some real punk go download angels with dirty faces by sham69. The sex pistols were NOT the be all and end all epitome of punk, they were a bunch of cockneys who had 2 songs in london, and only in london, people in the midlands had no idea who they were! - the sex pistols not the people themselves - ! none of the sex pistols could play! sid vicious? bah! wouldn't know a bass guitar if it killed his girlfriend. ok?

blink 182 and all those other 'new age punk bands' are not punk

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Blink182 is just modern wannabe-punk. REal punk is like NoFX, Sex Pistols etc...

However Pain for Pleasure (the part of the song that they are dressed like 70's metal-wannabe's) is pretty cool.

One of my favorit punkrockbands is de dutch band Heideroosjes. Try withg Kazaa to find and download the song Fistfuckparty at 701.... Great lyrics.

17. Gash Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You cant really be a punk fan and not like the Sex Pistols - they are the defintion of Punk!

The way I say it, there's punk (The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Stranglers, The Dammed etc) which is the political anarchy style punk, music with a message, and then there's new age punk (Blink 182, Sum 41 etc) which doesnt really draw on the same influences but is still decent enough music anyway.

By the way: GLAM4EVAAAHH!

18. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

Heres something else. I went to Cepey CD's today. I asked them if they had any sex pistols, they asked me what was that. And I relized something that my Germen teacher said awile ago. Most music that is born across the sea never comes to the US. Why? I dont know. So it seems what I call punk you call something else. Hmmm...gives you a lot to thing about doesn't it?

[This message has been edited by DragonRider SkyWard (edited November 03, 2001).]

19. Inappropriate Synonym Banned

guy i ve heard of the sex pistols and i know of like groups of sex pistol fanatics (i never liked em) and im from canada here. id just like to say that the new world is largely divided into 2 big groups of music listeners those that dont know crap and only listen to what they see on much music and listen to all the nieve lies from much music this group is called the mainstream group. and then there are the people who aren't nieve and go off and take and listen to the music they want to listen to and aren't fed the only information they know. i leave you to that

20. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] I'm pleased to see, that you stopped flame us who aren't from the USA. The big difference is not between the Sex Pistols (english) and The Ramones (american), but between Sex Pistols AND Ramones and Blink182. Sex Pistols and Ramones were bands with punk mentality and aggressive (and I have to say, progressive) music, and Blink182 is a pop band with boring guitarmusic. Listen some RPistols (or Ramones, Clash, Iggy Pop, Black Flag, etc.), and you'll see the difference!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.