1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite Movie Villains

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Emperor Palpatine - Used to be one of my favorites, but now he's my clear #1. Absolutely masterful tour de force performance by Ian McDiarmid in Revenge of the Sith.

The Joker - Heath Ledger's portrayal that is. Rumor has it is Ledger literally tried to become, for all intents and purposes, the Joker in order to pull it off. Watching Dark Knight, I can well believe it.

The Thing - What good acting can't do, those wonderful pre-CGI special effects certainly can. The Dog Kennel scene and the Norris scene are still firmly fixed in my memory.

Jack Torrence - Jack Nicholson really came through for this one.

The Tall Man - Angus Scrimm is apparently as nice and jovial as they come in real life, yet utterly creepy as hell when he becomes the Tall Man. "The funeral is about to begin, sir!" :lol:

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Anton Chigurh is pretty cool.

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    the only real Joker was played by Jack Nicholson.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Auric Goldfinger. Cold, calculating, utterly ruthless, German accent - he has it all.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Palpatine.

---------- Added 0 hours, 0 minutes and 31 seconds later... ----------

And Kreese from The Karate Kid, of course.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Kaiser Soze
    Special Agent Stansfield
    Auric Goldfinger

7. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh yes T2, excellent alternate choices, Norman "Stan" Stansfield in particular. I approve.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Who the hell is Stansfield?

Anyhow, mine are as follows:

Iago as played by Kenneth Branagh
    Ledger's Joker
    Ben Kingsley's character Cosmo from Sneakers
    The insane Inspector Dreyfuss from The Pink Panther Strikes Again
    Keyser Soze
    Telly Savalas' Blofeld from On Her Majesty's Secret Service

The race-shifting villain from Die Another Day (Will Yun Lee -- Korean pre- operation version, Toby Stephens -- Caucasian post operation version)

Dan Ackroyd's Grocer from Grosse Pointe Blank
    Ricardo Montobaln's Khan Noonian Singh from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Kathy Bates' Annie Wilkes in Misery
    Glenn Close's Cruella de Ville in the live action Dalmations films
    Meryl Streep's Eleanor Shaw in the 2004 Manchurian CandidateEarl Talbot Blake ( John Lithgow), from Ricochet
    William H. Macy as Jerry Lundegaard in Fargo
    John Goodman as Daniel "Big Dan" Teague in Oh Brother Where Art Thou
    Hannibal the Cannibal as played by Hopkins

_______________________________________________________________________________
    That's just a few. IMHO, a compelling, interesting, entertaining villain is just as important, if not MORE important, than a solid protagonist. As an added bonus, I'm going to add some of my favorite TV villains.

Wayne Knight as Newman from Seinfeld

Erik King as Doakes, John Lithgow as Arthur Mitchell (the Trinity Killer), Jaime Murray as Lila West/Tourney -- all from Dexter.

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Simon Adebisi, J.K. Simmons as Vernon Schillinger, Dean Winters as Ryan O'Reily, Željko Ivanek as Governor James Devlin, and Kristin Rohde as Claire Howell from the legendary Oz. No better villains exist in any form of broadcast, IMHO.

Weyoun from DS9
    Frank Burns from MASH
    Jared Harris as David Robert Jones from Fringe
    Harry Mudd and Cyrano Jones, from Star Trek: TOS
    Col. Decker from The A-Team
    Ian McShane as Al Swearengen in Deadwood

That's all for now!

9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

01. Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer), in Blade Runner.
    02. Xenia Onatopp (Goldeneye). Crushes guys wit her thighs. Too cool.
    03. Michael Biehn`s character in The Abyss
    04. The shark in Jaws
    05. Joss Ackland in lethal weapon 2
    06. the xenomorphs from the Alien movies.
    07. Jason Vorheese.
    08. Gollum
    09. Lena Olin in Romeo is Bleeding (check it out, she is nuts).
    10. Rene Belloq from raiders of the lost ark.

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Sauron?

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Sauron didn't have many lines! As an idea he's cool, but there was no actor to portray him and give him life or a personality. Just that big honking eye, which I cannot take seriously ever since I saw the Family Guy episode there he was looking for his contact lens.

That's why I didn't include him.

12. Ragusa

Media:
    A blot on your record, good man! This is Stansfield:

Two more excellent choices.

I got a better one still: Robert Mitchum, twice, no less, in "The night of the Hunter" and "Cape Fear". Utterly brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  13. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Ahh, it's been a long time since I have seen that movie. The thing I remember most was Reno's unbelievable core strength. Cool film.

For Gary Oldman villains, though, I'd have to go with his over the top weirdness as Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg in The Fifth Element. He was probably the best male vampire I've ever seen in Dracula.

For female vampires, I'd have to go with Salma Hayek in From Dusk 'Til Dawn, particularily for her performance here:

It just doesn't get any better than that.

14. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh yes, it does. Hayek is every pimply teenagers' wet dream, admitted, but that's not brilliant acting but simply hotness.

Watch Robert Mitchum, in either of the two roles. That's acting. Night of the Hunter:

Cape Fear:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  15. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

James Earl Jones - Darth Vader - Star Wars
    Joacquin Phoenix - Commodus - Gladiator
    Louise Fletcher - Nurse Ratched - One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
    Michael Douglass - Gordon Gekko - Wall Street
    Tom Berenger - Sgt Barnes - Platoon
    Anthony Hopkins - Hannibal Lector - Silence of the Lambs
    Jame Gumb - Buffalo Bill - Silence of the Lambs
    Anthony Perkins - Noman Bates - Psycho
    Daniel Day Lewis - Bill the Butcher - Gangs of New York
    Alan Rickman - Sherriff of Nottingham - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  16. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Paul Giamitti (sp?) - shoot`em up, and in Ironclad aswell.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Billy Bob was not the villian in Sling Blade....

18. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Your right T2. Removed. Though the part was well played.

19. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    But Doyle Hargrave, played by Dwight Yoakam, was the villain, and he was a great villain - one of those guys who's just a genuine dyed-in-the-wool a**hole with no redeeming characteristics whatsoever. Yoakam was very convincing at it. Good call, Blades. :thumb:

Also, since we're picking on BoV, Jame Gumb was the 'real' name of Buffalo Bill in SotL. Ted Levine played him.

20. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Actually, Salma Hayek doesn't always do it for me, but she sure as hell did in that movie. Pure evil subsequently blown away by Clooney, of all people!

Can't believe I missed Vader. A good chunk of the credit also should go to David Prowse, who provided the physical menace with such aplomb.

Also can't believe I missed Joaquin Phoenix's turn as Commodus -- one creepy, incestuous little bastard.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.