1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite Forgotten Realms Novel

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Vhailor, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

[​IMG] Whats your favorite Forgotten Realms Novel?I'm trying to decide which one I want to read for my class. Name a specifc book in a series.

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Depths of Madness

3. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Anything written by Paul Kemp.

Or, if you need a standalone, try Darkvision by Bruce Cordell

4. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The Empyrean Odyssey. It's a series but it's a GOOD series.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "Servant of the shard" by Salvatore. I have not read much FR mostly just the Salvatore stuff and although I am not much of a fan most of it is somewhat entertaining. This one is actually a half decent book, not great by any normal standard but by FR och Salvatore standards it is outstanding.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I thought that the Halruuan trilogy was wicked awesome. Started with the Magehound and I forget the titles of the next 2.

I also have a soft spot for Thornhold and Elfsong in the Harpers series since those were the first 2 FR novels I'd ever read.

And for stand-alone, I thought that The Shadow Stone was awesome.

7. Dethwind Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hmmm.... Favorite novel... hard to pick just one.
    Personally it is a toss up between two series for me. the Avatar series and the Cleric Quintet.

Shadowdale
    Tantras
    Waterdeep
    Prince of Lies
    Crucible: Trial of Cyric the Mad

Cleric Quintet:
    Canticle
    In Sylvan Shadows
    Night Masks
    The Fallen Fortress
    The Chaos Curse

The avatar series is quite a bit darker and deals with the "Time of Troubles". Tells the tales of Kelemvor, Midnight, and Cyric and how they ascended to godhood.

The Cleric Quintet is a bit more light hearted (although it does have it's moments) and deals with the life of Cadderly Bonaduce, Danicia Maupoissaunt, and The brothers Bouldershoulder Ivan and Pikel. It tells the tale of the Fall of the Edificent Library and the machinations of Aballister the evil wizard and the order of Talona he belongs to.
    During this series Cadderly is forced to come face to face with his faith and must overcome many challenges to save those he loves.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I really enjoyed "The Citadels" series. Also, the Erevis Cale series.

9. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

The Alabaster Staff or The Gossamer Plain

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I've read it and I have to agree with joacqin about the "not great by any normal standard" and to be honest I have to say that "half decent" is rather generous.

11. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Paul S. Kemp is the only FR author i consider to be really good . The revis Cale Trilogy is great by any standard (as good as lets say A Song of Ice and Fire in my book ) .

12. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31

Probably one of the early Drizzt Novels, Sojourn or Exile.

I've read all the Drizzt books, The Cleric Quintet, All the Elminster Books, The Avatar Trilogies, the Harper Series dealing with Arilyn Moonblade and Danillo Thann (about 5 books), The War Of The Spider Queen, and most of the Cormyr series.

It's tragic what's happened to these characters and story lines since fourth edition forced the 100 year jump in the timeline. Honestly, I don't know if I'll read another Wizards Of The Coast book in my lifetime.

13. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Seems like Paul S. Kemp is a name to check up on.

I have to second Halruaan trilogy. A notch above the FR expectations. Avatar series are rather decent as well.

The problem i have with most FR books is that they seem too constricted in Forgotten Realms world with all it's rules. Seems to me that rather than risking altering/reinterpreting the world, they tunnelvision one specific narrow path that just invites cliches and not all that imaginative story, resulting in subpar novels.

14. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31

That didn't use to be the case, but has become so with 4th edition. Authors have been forced to make drastic changes to their story lines to accommodate the 100 year jump in the timeline. It's really turned me off. I'm looking for something new, now. Problem is, I spent so much time playing in second and third edition FR campaigns that reading about it felt a bit like reading about home. Now home is a hundred years in the past.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'll second Elminster being a good read.

Also, Cormyr: A Novel was one of my favorites.

Although I did read the Drizzt Novels for a while, I found that there was too much introspective soulsearching and it kind of put me off. Jaraxle is by far the most interesting character in all of Salvatore's books.

Azure Bonds was a really good one that never really got much attention. It's sequel Masquerades was good as well.

Finder's Bane was cool because it took place in Sigil and I love all things Planescape: Torment related, heh.

16. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31

That *has* gotten to be a problem with some of the longer running story lines, like Drizzt and Elminster, who have now lived through First, Second, Third, and Fourth Editions.

No coming back from fourth edition for me. That 100 year time jump is a deal breaker.

17. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Out of nostalgia, I will say the Liriel Baenre books by Elaine Cunningham. Loved the stuff in junior high: it had DROW elves and BARBARIANS, cool! :D. Now I'm not that much into FR books anymore - ambulance! Ambulance! My inner geek is dying!

18. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend starting with Salvatore's Drizzt series. It's good, but not his best work. His Cleric Quintet is, imho, of much higher quality. (As is his non-FR stuff, but that's for another topic)

As for which book to read; the first one!

If you want a standalone book to do a report on, I would agree with the previous poster who said The Shadow Stone. Very good book.

19. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    War of the spider queen. Those drow are just so cheeky.

Drizzt novels turn to too much fighting. I read so many of them, still own them, that helps, so picking out one is hard.

Lisa Smedman has made a few nice ones.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.