1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite fantasy author

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Beren, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For me, Tolkien of course. But hey, if you've got others, go right ahead.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    1. Steven Erikson
    2. George RR Martin
    3. Terry Pratchett
    4. Robin Hobb
    5. Robert Jordan
    6. Joe Abercrombie

...57 or so Tolkien.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

1. Terry Brooks (except for his first book, wich was a Lotr copy. He said so himself too).
    2. Robert Jordan. Great story. Great setting.
    3. George R.R. Martin. I love the grim setting, and the fact that he kills off main characters like flies.
    4. Raymond E. Feist.

Can`t think of anyone else that are favorites, I guess. I need to read Erikson and Abercrombie though. Looking forward to doing so.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

1. Tolkien
    2. Michael Moorcock
    3. George R.R. Martin
    4. David Eddings
    5. Ray Bradbury
    6. Robert Jordan
    7. Stephen Donaldson
    8. Glen Cook
    9. Raymond Feist
    10. Terry Brooks

Haven't read much of Erikson, Hobb or Pratchett...yet.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    In no particular order

Brandon Sanderson
    Raymond Feist
    Robert Jordan
    David Farland
    J.V. Jones
    Michael Moorcock
    David Drake
    George R.R. Martin

I liked the Tolkein movies, but was never able to get into the books. I may have to give them another try. Maybe I wasn't old enough/ready for them.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And now you're too old... :p

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Tolkien and Erikson

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Xaviera Hollander

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    :D I'm old enough to know who that is. :o

I'm convinced. So much for my giving Tolkein another shot.

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I moved the Tolkien posts to a new thread so that battle can be savagely fought out without the need to clutter this calm thread.

As for me, in alphabetical order:

Steve Brust
    Jim Butcher (I'm including the Dresden books in this category)
    Glen Cook
    David Eddings (shout out for old times, I wouldn't find him a favorite now if just picking it up)
    Ray Feist (same as Eddings)
    Robert E. Howard (something still compelling about the Conan books)
    HP Lovecraft (when you're in THAT kinda mood)
    Michael Moorcock (same as Eddings)
    Joel Rosenberg
    Michael Stackpole
    Tolkien
    Roger Zelazny

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Dr. Seuss.

Yeah, he's a kid's author, but he never pretends to be something more than he is!

On a slightly more serious note, and in no particular order:

Terry Pratchett
    Orson Scott Card
    GRR Martin
    Robert Jordan
    Terry Brooks
    Piers Anthony
    Jim Butcher
    Raymond Feist
    David Eddings
    Lloyd Alexander
    Weis&Hickman (the first 2 trilogies only)
    David Drake
    Robert Aspirin

Got a lot more to read, though, gotta get the Erikson series and really pound that one out.

I'm probably missing a few.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Tolkien
    John Gardner [Grendel, Freddy's Book]
    Erikson [based upon ONLY his first 5 books in the Malazan series].
    Tad Williams
    David Eddings

I have never read; to my shame.

The first two books in the Wheel of Time were very good. However, I could not make it through the next few....

I read the first two books of SoF&I -- Average writer, with some good ideas and the books have some good moments, but no sustain.

OMG. Horrid stuff, but they proved that there was a HUGE vaccum in the fantasy adventure genre during their hayday.

A very fine writer, IMHO also, LKD. But I always think of him as a Sci-fi writer.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  13. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I can't believe I neglected Tad Williams.

When I wrote Piers Anthony, I was thinking of Xanth -- the first few books were pretty well done. After that, things went downhill rather quickly and depressingly.

Weiss&Hickmans first 2 trilogies were cheesy, D&D derived stories, but I have always felt they were head and shoulders above any if the other TSR stuff that's been churned out.

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Oh, yes. I agree. ;)

I have not read those. But I read several books of the Incarnations series. They were very good, IMHO.

15. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Terry Pratchett for me, probably.

I'm reading my first Joe Abercrombie book, though, and it's very good so far :)

16. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

J.K. Rowling
    Tolkien
    Peter V. Brett
    Terry Brooks
    Piers Anthony
    and a number of others that I cant think of. These are in no particular order

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.