1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite Familiar

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by Sorvo, Apr 22, 2023.

?

Favorite Familiar

1. LG,NG-Pseudo Dragon

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. LN-Ferret

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. LE-Imp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. N-Rabbit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. NE-Dust Mephit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. CG-Fairy Dragon

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. CN-Cat

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  8. CE-Quasit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. None, I HATE Familiars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Just like it says, Pick 1 or 2 and let us know why you like them the best :beer:

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Cat or fairy dragon. The cat is more useful, I find the fairy dragon fun with some interesting abilities, but not that useful.

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fairy Dragon, largely cause I tend to play a CG Elven Fighter / Mage or Fighter / Mage / Thief.

4. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Fairy Dragon for much the same reason as the others. I usually play Chaotic Good characters and they are entertaining. They are quirky and a lot can depend on how your GM handles them. Otherwise the Pseudo-Dragon for about the same reason. Dragons are neat and it's kind of fun having an itsy bitsy one. Third choice is often the raven, because you can usually teach a raven to speak a few phrases; whether it says the right one at the right time can be frustrating though. ;)

5. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've been trying a pseudo dragon. Works good as bait to get things ready and the regeneration rocks!

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I should point out that this is the "Baldur's gate: Enhanced Edition" CRPG forum, NOT the "Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs" P&P tabletop forum.
    I might not have mentioned the cat if I was talking about what I liked back in my groups P&P days.

Also I assume you had to teach the Raven to say "Nevermore!" in P&P?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  7. Sorvo

Media:
    Heh, WP at it again. At least he voted ;)

8. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You are right, I wasn't thinking about it from the BG standpoint. I barely got BGEE started and I've never played an arcane caster in a D&D computer game except for the stint with NWN1 when I played a sorcerer. Giving the half-orc fighter/barbarian Daelan Flaming Weapon and other buffs and sending him at foes was fun. :) I've only done the raven in tabletop. For that matter I've only used familiars in tabletop at all. In ToEE for instance familiars always stay in the backpack because they are just too weeny of targets and the animal companion/familiar AI in that is STUPID.

And yes, Sorvo Familiars are one of my fun things to mess with.

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    To be honest, while I grabbed BG1EE from Amazon Prime last month, I haven't done more than install it and make sure it works. I wanted to finish Hyperdimension Neptunia 1 first.
    I'm answering based on my experience with the original 5-CD version of Baldur's Gate I've had for the last 20 years.
    EDIT: I mean the Collector's Edition of Baldur's Gate II, there were no familiars in the original BG1.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2023
  10. Gallowglass Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

I can't vote because there isn't an option for my answer: I like the familiar but I don't care which one! When I have an arcane caster as protagonist, of course I always summon the familar as soon as I'm able, for the HP boost it gives ... but then it goes straight in the backpack and stays there, because the penalty if the familiar dies is way too severe to take risks with it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.