1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite Class

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ivellos the Bladesinger, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

--I am new to the site and I don't know if this has been asked before--

what is your favorite class to choose from?
    if i had a choice, i would go with Stalker because they get a bonus to hide in shadows and they get 3 mage spells for level 3 druid spells:haste,protection from normal missles,and minor spell turning
    also i think sorcerers are pretty good to
    they get to choose spells every time they gain a new level(i think)

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh Earl Grey, don't be such a party pooper :p

I tend to take a melee-based approach, so I'll usually go with a warrior-type class. Kensai, Inquisitor, Berserker - all good. But my current game is using a Monk, and this one kicks ass big time, especially now that the natural magic resistance has kicked in. It's actually a good thing you can't haste a Monk, otherwise it would be ridiculously over-powered.

4. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] a good stalker would be a elf with some decent leather or Elven chainmail
    dual-weilding scimiters like Belm +2 for extra attacks and Rashad's Talon(i think thats what its called) :)

[ October 27, 2003, 22:29: Message edited by: Ivellos the Bladesinger ]

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Y'know, Ivellos, at least you did not say Drow ranger dual wielding Twinkle and Frostbrand. :rolleyes:

There ought to be genetic culling for those who wish to do that.

It's Kensai for me in SOA. Awesome damage and weapon initiative. Can often kill an enemy before it even retaliates.

6. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Solo Fighter/Theif/Mage. Hands down the most deadly character ever. Imagine casting Mislead and backstabbing over and over and over until EVERYONE IS DEAD! I can't beleive this is even a class. I mean, it's almost cheating! The Thief/Mage isn't as good because of the lousy THAC0.

The most fun character to play would be a Druid of some sort. Bards are pretty fun too.

Cleric/Mages are pretty cool too because you can cast almost every spell in the game.

I like a CE solo Barbarian. Half-Orc, of course.

7. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I really like elf assassins now, I wonder what will be my favourite next time this topic pops up :p ;)

8. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Elven Archer for powerful Long-range(I like long-range attack) warrior or swashbuckler/mage for a powerful mage who have thief skills, so that I can have other npcs instead of Jan or maybe Imoen(But I like them a lot too) :)
    Btw, I like Drizzt, but only his character(just like if a orc become good, like the ogre in Umar hill). I cannot see why some people like his weapons when you can find so many other weapons in SOA that are much more better than his.

[ October 27, 2003, 05:38: Message edited by: Skywind ]

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Someday I'm gonna cheat and make a Kensai/Assassin/Conjurer, if I can.

10. Skywind Gems: 10/31

Veteran

I'm thinking of Kensai/Archer if I want to cheat.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    **** yeah good idea :D

I bet an Archer/Kensai would be the bollox. Thank god for Shadowkeeper :rolleyes:

Might go and have a quick raz with that now ;)

12. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] yeah i guess kensai/mages can be pretty good
    i mean, swords,bows,and magic
    i just really like elves and dual weilding and rangers a little for some reasons :cool:
    i also like sorcerers a little too
    but i always go with elven rangers dual-weilding magical scimiters(i son't use shadowkeeper that often either)
    i have played through the game 6 or 7 times now(no lie) and i think kensai/mages AND elven rangers dual-weilding scimiters are one of the best :D

[ October 28, 2003, 00:25: Message edited by: Ivellos the Bladesinger ]

13. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Drizzt again. :mad:

Also, Kensai/Mages can't use Bows. Kensai's can't use bow, mages can't use bows, so Kensai/Mages can't use bows.

Rangers are cool, but I prefer a Druid if I want to be all nature-oriented.

Sorcerers are better than mages for a party, but mages are better for soloing, IMO. For a solo it's pretty dangerous to use a Sorcerer. You need to change spells for battles and such, but you can't do that with a Sorcerer.

14. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31

i've never tried to go as a Drizzt clone!!!! :D
    i like putting elven rangers in bladesinger chain +4 (the best elven chainmail) because you can still hide in shadows with it or any type of elven chainmail
    the reason i like dual-weilding is because backstabbing with dual weapons IIRC, a little more damage
    i think scimiters are pretty powerful if you have a lot of proficiencies in them and dual-weilding :D :cool:

[ December 02, 2003, 02:23: Message edited by: Ivellos the Bladesinger ]

15. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I would have to say it would be easier to solo with a sorcerer than a mage. I only use the same spells over and over, so I guess it may just fit my style more.

As to my favorites class, I have no clue, all are fun for me.

16. Skywind Gems: 10/31

Veteran

@Ivellos:
    I guess you will be very disappointed with the lack of good scimitars in SOA. ;)
    Anyway, any weapon can be pretty powerful.

17. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I've just finished playing the game with a Kensai / Cleric dualled at level 9 and grand mastery in quarterstaffs. The quarterstaff is not the most powerful weapon, but felt right for the class. Anyway, it was one of the most fun characters I've ever played. Some of the clerical buff spells (Righteous Magic, Barkskin, Draw Upon Holy Might) make the character supremely powerful.

18. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I know this is not really related, but can a cleric weild the staff of the magi? I can't remember.

In most games my favourite class is the monk, but I never tried that here, so...

The next in line is the mage and the kensai. I tried a kensai-mage once but the game got killed and when I started again I had ToB so used the wild mage. I am still to try a sorcerer as well.

I also like druids and rangers a lot, and clerics and paladins next. Hey I like everything, even the thief classes- but only from a role-play perspecive, which is hard to do as I always choose the good path.

19. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

No, the Staff of the Magi can't be used by a cleric. It can only be used by a mage (multi, single or dualed) class.

20. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] Favorite class? Definitely Bards.
    I have played with all other classes except the Palladin and all of them got boring at some point or other.

Spellcasting, some thievery, fighting in hand to hand - its all open to Bards.
    Now, I can see why people like spellcasters, especially Druids. I certainly had fun with them. But Fighters/Barbarians? Its slashing & hacking all the time. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.