1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite book characters

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] What is/are your favorite book character/s? Why, and what book are they from?

Mine is Wulfgar son of Beorngar from RA Salvatore's: Crystal Shard The reason he is my favorite is because he is the biggest, strongest man on the sword coast. He picked up a camel and "tossed" it at a trio of enemies! ! ! WOW!

My second favorite character is Artemis Entreri because he is nearly equal in warrior skills to Drizzt Do' Urden. And simply because he has the sheer willpower to resist the call of the mighty artifact: Crenshinibon(the crystal shard)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Rincewind, the worst wizard in the whole Discworld.

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Jon Snow from A Song Of Ice and Fire series. I just loved this character the moment I started to read about him.

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Hugh the hand in the deathgate cycle, I thought he was brilliant.

And Artemis Entreri, can't help it, he's great.

5. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Master Heathcliff, from Wuthering Heights.

Now that is a way fo dealing with life that I can identify with! Become a bitter, crazy and violent old man! :D

6. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

T1: Nevyn from Katherine Kerr's Deverry Series.

T1: Gandalf, can't remember which books he's from but a great character none the less.

2: Tempus from the Theives' World collection.

3: Rhodry and Jill from the Deverry Series

T4: Silk from David Edding's Belgariad

T4: Belgarath from same.

5: The Grey Mouser from Fritz Leiber's Fahferd and the Grey Mouser series.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Turan from the Silmarillion, because he could screw up.

I would insert a long off topic rant here on how pathetic Wulfgar is but, well, it would be too off topic.

8. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Finch, Atticus Finch. From Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. He is a just person.

9. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Favorite characters, eh?

My fav is Avrilius(sp?) from the "Last Legion" by Valerio Massimo Manfredi. He is a man of honour and a good person, even if he betrayed his town to its enemies.

Gimli (LOTR, J.R.R. Tolkien)is my second fav character. His combat skills are great and his personality is unique too. You cannot find many kind dwarves.

The third place is taken by Thibledorf Pwent(the battlerager in Salvatore's Drizzt books).

And last comes Gandalf (LOTR, J.R.R. Tolkien).

I don't have time to "analize"(sp?) the other two...

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Gah. too many to name...

Elrond, Maglor, Maedhros, Entreri, Zaknafein...

11. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Jim Casy (the ex-preacher) from The Grapes of Wrath. (John Steinbeck) - Casy is the personification of my philosophical thought - indeed, Casy's character (and Steinbeck in general) introduced me to some of the basic ideas that I live by (or at least try to live by) today.

Mack (and "the boys") from Cannery Row. (also John Steinbeck) - IMO one of the funniest characters in literature, but also one to take very seriously.

Falstaff from Shakespeares "Henriad" (the plays dealing with Prince Hal/Henry V) - My namesake, also one of the funniest characters in literature, IMO.

Pikel - everyone's favorite doo-dad!

Gimli - the uber-dwarf!

And many many more - I could fill up an entire page of this thread with favorite characters and why. But i am tired and hungry and don't feel like it now - maybe tomorrow. :D

12. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    1. Zarahustra, for the same reason Falstaff picked Jim Casey.

2. Mort, from the Discworld series

13. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Kurt Steiner and Liam Devlin from Jack Higgins' "The eagle has landed" and Achilles and Hector from Homer's "Iliad". I like them because they are tragic heroes since they are fighting for a lost cause or for something they don't believe in.

14. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Silk

Drizzt Do'Urden

Ivan and Pikel

Jarlaxle(so much different from all the others)

Artemis Entreri

15. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Bane, son of Connavar in the great novel Midnight Falcon by David Gemmell.

Also, Gaise Macon in Ravenheart and Midnight Falcon, by the aforementioned author.

16. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Going on with David Gemmel:

Druss, the near-invincible god of axe-bladed death.

Michael Moorcock:

Elric of Melnibone, still my all-time favorite fantasy character. Soul-sucking sword? Sign me up!

Salvatore's crew would deserve a mention as well, seeing how many of his books I have. BTW, this group includes Elbryan Wyndon and the Demonwars folks too.

Conan the barbarian, all time epic hero written about by dozens of writers. I mean like, come on! What hasn't this guy done? :D

Haplo from the Deathgate cycle. Magnificent story and utterly grand setting.

Erevis Cale from Paul Kemp's new trilogy and from the Sembia series: Shadow's witness.

I enjoy Elaine Cunningham's work a great deal but she always struck me as too much of an 'elf-o-phile' and I despise elves. Nevertheless, Liriel and Arilyn get an honorable mention here.

The various eternal champions: Hawkmoon, Corum, Erekose, Von Bek, etc. Some of their adventures have been a blast to read, some are rather dull and perplexing but I still love reading about the exploits of these guys.

The LOTR fellowship led me through a great and magnificent tale as well and must be mentioned. And yes, I read the book many years before I saw the movie and loved it even then!

All the above are mentioned in no particular order of merit. ;)

17. Boumxyz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Mine are as follow

From Margaret Weis Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends trilogy

Raistlin Majere he's such a cold heartless man.
    Flint Fireforge because he keeps barking.

Tanis Half-Elven because he's a great leader

Lord Soth because he kicks asses.

From Michael Moorcock books

Elric and Tristelune. So great

Hawkmoon ain't bad.

From Tolkien's Lord of the Ring Series :

The nazguls.. They're great

Same goes with Sauron ( I like bad guys )

Aragorn is also another great one. Faramir ain't bad either.

These are a few ones

18. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I like Gimily from Lord of the Rings because he is such a "typical dwarf". He is always complaining and doesn't like to openly show emotion. And he just has that wild dwarven fury!

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    BOC, I agree, Kurt Steiner and Liam Deviln are pretty much my favourites in Higgins' books...

How could I have forgotten Raist, or Elaith Craulnober?

And Shura, there's nothing wrong with being an elf-o-phile.... :p

20. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Roland of Gilead from he Dark Tower. A loner, fighting to keep the (his) world from falling apart - I feel a little like this sometimes.

Samwise Gamgee from LOTR - What more can a guy ask of a true friend than to follow him unquestioningly to almost certain death?

Drizzt Do'Urden - Lost and almost alone, struggling to find a place in a world not his own.

Just to name three

- edit -
    How could I forget Perrin Aybara (Wheel Of Time)??
    trying to resist the "shackles" of leadership thrust upon him by those around him (though rightly earned) and trying simply to rescue the one he loves from his enemies

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.