1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite 3E class

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Voltric, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Well as an offshoot of Divine Shadows topic what is your favorite class or prestiege class from 3E? And why?

In 3E with all the XP the same all the classes are - on paper at least - the same in power. Do you think so?

2. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

3E Rogue's dfinitely my favorite class. Their pack of skills allows one to make a very unique, useful and powerful character without going too much in weapons.
    Now, I am studying wizards and they seem interesting to play too. Skills are not omnipotent, but spells! Magic can do many things - destroy, create, reveal, protect and mislead. I'm especially interested in the last three, pity one cannot be specialized in Divination, Abjuration & Illusions. Gods! I'd do that even if I'd have to give up Conjuration, Evocation and Transmutation! Well, maybe not, by my focus character now is an Abjurer and so far I enjoy him.

3. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I'd start as a Dwarf fighter. and at 10th level go to dwarven defender. true you luse the extra feats but in my opinion you can beat that this the defenders SA. if I was playing a game where the DM would let us go beyond 20th level (total not per class) after reaching defender level 10 I woul go back to fighter till that hits 20.

4. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] I like the arcane archer prestige class and it's what i',m going to be aiming for when i get a chance to be a player for once. I'd be starting as a ranger as i think it fits in with an idea i have for a character, and taking a level or two in sorcerer for the arcane spell requirements of the Archer.
    Either that or a ranger/rogue would be cool to play :)

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, fighter/mage of course. I'm not really sure, but I am also considering taking a few levels of the spell sword class. It would reduce the benefits of my fighter and mage class, but then the lowered spell failure, spell cache, and casting through the sword are nice. I'm still debating if it's worth it though. I do like my eigth level spells :D

6. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

If I was to go for arcane archer I think that I would be a half-elf, and start as a Fighter till level 6, do 7-10 as a sorcerer and then take up arcane archer.

7. Dude69 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] A fighter/mage is my favorite class to play. my character is an Elf.

fighter- 9
    mage- 11

It's a great multi-class to play becuase there is no xp penalty.

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Dude, in that multiclass there wouldn't be any penalty no matter how you differ the levels, because elves have wizards as favored class

9. Sol'Kanar Guest

Um....I think that's what he WAS saying. XP penalties occur whenever two of your non-favored classes are two or more levels away from eachother. So, if he were not an elf, he would have a 20% XP penalty.

10. Kerric Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

IMO sorcerors are the greatest, compared to the wizard the sorcerer can be alot better. OK he have few spells but who cares and he gains spell lvls slower, and beside you don't need them all, and you don't have to mem them each friggin day. You do have to choose your spells carefully.

I'm currently a sorceror 8/Ember Mage 1 (From Monte Cooks Book of Eldritch Might or something like that)
    I choose one or two attack spells for each lvl, depend on the spells on that lvl. The rest are spells that can help the party, Bull's Strenght, Knock, Detect Secret Doors, Imp. Invisibility, Fly, Teleport (When I get 5th lvl spells)
    Because of my high CHA 20 I can cast 7 lvl 1 spells, 6 lvl 2 spells, 6 lvl 3 spells and 5 lvl 4 spells each day. And since I can choose my spells as I cast them I can be pretty dangerous in combat, up to 10 - 11 fireballs (average damage 300 around 30 each), or 24 Magic Missiles (average damage 360 around 15 each)

11. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

I have a question about the arcane archer. Do they suffer arcane falure with there Inbue arrow ability?

12. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

No, because it automatically happens and isn't a spell. Every arrow they fire just becomes magical :D.

13. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

That part I understood. what I ment was the one that lets them place a area affect spell into an arow efectily using Bow ranges for that spell.

14. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Here is the prestiege class ability he is talking about.

Imbue Arrow: At 2nd level, an arcane archer gains this spell-like ability, allowing her to place an area spell upon an arrow. When the arrow is fired, the spell’s area is centered upon where the arrow lands, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. This ability allows the archer to use the bow’s range rather than the spell’s range. It takes a standard action to cast the spell and fire the arrow. The arrow must be fired in the round the spell is cast, or the spell is wasted.

I would rule to different things are happening here. 1) the PC is casting a spell, 2) the spell is being altered by the special ability.

I would say that the casting of the spell would be affected by spell failure since it is being 'cast'. However the ability is a 'spell-like' ability not a spell so armor would not affect is operation.

How does that stand with you?

15. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

I'd rule that putting the spell on the arrow is the time when speel failure would apply. After that though, goodbye evil nasty monsters, or nice happy NPC's depending on who gets in your way ;).

16. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

Ok alfter looking at this and thinking (My head hurts)you would put the spell falure chance down to casting the spell into the arrow. So basicly you apply the chance once.

17. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

18. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

Thanks for the help. I was sort of wishing that it had no arcane spell failure chance.

19. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm gonna play a Drow druid taking a few lvls as a Rogue. I may also play a Mage/Sorcerer alternating each lvl. that way I can mem and auto gain spells. The best of both worlds.

20. gnollgus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hobgoblin fighter. I hated the way fighters were done in the old system, costing so much XP on the offchance you had 18/% strength and 16+ Constitution. Fighters now are really deadly, especially if the right feats are taken.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.