1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fast Food Scandal

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Rastor, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I'm curious as to what you all think of that lawsuit being filed against the fast food companies for making a guy obese. Personally, I think that he is talking out of an orifice that is most certainly not his mouth and it's his own idiotic fault for eating the food, but I'd like to hear your opinions on it.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Haven't heard about this one yet. But hey, if he's suing in USA, he's got a good chance to win, provided he's got a good lawyer. Or at least bag a few millions with a settlement. God bless America! :shake:

[ August 07, 2002, 17:59: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, if the fast food restaurant never provided nutrition facts for their food, there might be a little reason behind suing the fast food company for obesity, but doing so is still stupid and weak.

4. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ah, the good 'ol US of A. The "Land of Opportunity", where everything is "Their" fault; where I am not responsible for my actions, nor can I be held accountable for them even in a court of law (as long as I have a decent lawyer and a lobby group behind me); where your hard-earned money can be mine, with only the help of a good lawyer, and a therapist who will attest to my 'traumatic experience'.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I've seen this too! Unfortunately, in America these days we no longer control our own lives and cannot be held personally responsible for anything we do. We are a nation of victims, too afraid to venture from our homes, buy coffee, say the pledge of allegiance, or get a decent education.

We need the governemnt to tell us how hot is hot, we need them to tell us that it's okay that our ancestors had it worse than us and we should be compensated for any shortcomings we have as a result, we also need the government to tell us when to wipe our asses!

As far as I'm concerned - the US needs to start sucking it up! I'm tired of Political Correctness, general whininess, and mediocre apathy! How pathetic!

Thus endeth the rant! :eek:

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Another moron. Here in germany we had an ex-judge (oh my god - he should really know) who sued the producers of Snickers and Coca-Cola. He said he lived from both products over years and - oh surprise - he now has diabetes. Now he blames that's the two companies fault :D What an imbecile.
    He will loose this case with flying flags since here he cannot win by impressing a jury with all his concentrated misery :evil:

[ August 07, 2002, 18:27: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] It is ridiculous. He just wants a payoff, and hopefully he will not get it.

8. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

[​IMG] Serves him right for eating fast food, stupid mullet-machine.

Oh, and I'm going to sue the Fox's mint company, because I'm allergic to mint, and I ate one of their mints, and now I'm going to die. Pity me.

[ August 07, 2002, 19:23: Message edited by: Sir Yerril of Morningmist ]

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    That is like Sueing BT for spending too much time on the phone or internet :lol:

BT - British Telecom

10. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

You can't sue a companie, you got fat from eating their fastfood. It is common knowledge that you get become obese when you eat fastfood. It is just like that guy who sued the tabacco industrie because he got cancer. They even put that on the packages.

But it is America, the only country where you can get millions, because you fell in a restaurant or a store.

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Huge texts saying: "Smoking is hazardous to your health" or "People who smoke die younger" ( :whoa: I didn´t know that!) and many more.
    These are now collectors items and people are smoking more, just to get all these different packages. Hmm, very effective. :rolleyes:

:coffee:

12. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The only problem with cases like this is that the rest of us have to pay for them, one way or another. The whole file-a-lawsuit/get-rich-quick mentality affects our economy and our personal freedoms, not to mention hurting those who file legitimate suits because they were actually wronged.

I was reading about malpractice insurance in the doctor's office -- do you know that because of the favorable lawsuit climate in Nevada, there are only 77 obstetricians (pregnant-women doctors) in an area of 500,000 people?

All because of jerks like this.

13. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Here's how it's going to play out....

The Problem: The guy sues because eating fast food every day made him obese.

The Lawer: He cant afford anything better then a top-notch-medium lawer or a lawer with smarts.

The Deffence: Run's in circles that it's common sence that fast food makes you fat if you eat it every day. There's no point in being here execpte to wast tax payers money.

The Offence: The guy brings in a doctor who says that his obesede was caused from eatting fast food every day(though he wont coment on what fast food place because as we all know that if he does then those fast food places will sue him if this guy wins(hey it's the USA)) They will also bring in a therapist who clams that the guy is now emotionly unstable now because of his new health problem.

Deffence: Cross examines the doctor. The doctor wont say much, if he does he could lose his job or plead that if he says anything he's open himself up to being sued by the fast food indastrey. The therapist will stick to the story of the guys emotional unstablebilty. The deffence will also undoughtidly cross examin the guys close friends. The friends will say things like now the guy just sits in his house and sob's because of his illness. One or two might say differently, but if this guy is anything of a friend to them they lie(lieing is every thing law is based off of in the USA(just wait, when we're all 60 and watching pbs they'll have a show called "Lawless Lawers"&"Cheating the LAOTL"( (LongArmOfTheLaw))).

Both sides: They deffently will put in a lot of words like "America'a food" & "freedom of living" followed by, "fast food" & "and eating where one please's for one's health".

The Result: The jurry will say not guilty towards the fast food compainy and say"Where would the great spirte of America be with out fast food like *********"(sencored so I dont get sued for writing this, and I could too). But they'll say something like *******(see **** above) owe's this guy double for the cost of the trial, therapy and and thing that resultes from his odeseded(pending that the jury is favoring the guy more or has some thing agenest fast food).

!This is the oppion of one American who's oppion is that of his own and in no way is ment to perswade the thoughts of others if it may or maynot!

14. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Here's the link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2153020.stm.

I've already said it once, so i'll say it again...

It's times like these when I *REALLY* like the Arab way of Justice.

Totally beat his a**. In public. With a cane pole. Twice. While his mother and children watch.

It's not pretty, but it gets results. I have become a 'result orientied' person over the years.

On a side note, the Jews get good results too...

15. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

To add something else to the topic, there was an interesting Onion article a couple years back about obese Hershey bar eaters suing the company for millions of dollars, stopping Hershey advertising to minors, and adding the warning "the general surgeon has decided that eating Hershey's may lead to being really fat". (The Onion is a satirical newspaper printing spoof articles.)

It's sad when something in reality comes close to something the Onion writes about.

16. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Granted, the lawsuit is dumb. No question. But I do feel sorry for this particular guy. His job keeps him sitting down for literally days at a time- depending on his route, possibly longer - with literally zero opportunity to visit a gym or jump on a treadmill. And it's not like you can pack a lunch when you're driving a truck. You are limited to what is available at truck stops and at freeway rest stops. I've taken a lot of road trips - some for work, just for the fun of it - and can't remember ever having the option of choosing something halfway nutritious to eat while on the road. For a vacation or a rare business trip, no problem, but it would drive me crazy if those were my choices day in, day out. Not crazy enough to sue, but pretty darn crazy. In my office building there are two food courts, each with dozens of outlets that sell nothing but highly-processed fatty crap, and one- count it, one- cafe that serves real food for less than $5.

Oh- and the guy had two heart attacks and developed diabetes BEFORE his doctor told him maybe he should change his diet? What on earth did the doctor have to say about his weight after just one or two of these huge red flags? Now THERE's the real lawsuit waiting to happen.

I ate salad for lunch today, and am glad of it :)

17. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Here in Sweden we have two things being discused right now... first of all making all fattening foods mark their boxes with a special warning.. we already have a special sign that healthy products get to use... The second suggestion is to introduce a Fat Tax. Sort of like the tobacco tax... basically all forms of restaurants (not grocery stores, from what I could understand), would have to pay tax on the fat if it's over a certain percentage.. meaning that healthier food will be cheaper. I think it could be effective, at least that first suggestion.

18. Ragusa

Media:
    I think the major problem with all the marking and signing of fat articles and introducing taxes on them is that this kinda incapacitates YOU, the eater. I was ROTFLMAO when I bought a bottle of water in the UK and found the note "no fat!" on the bottle (would have been a weird kind of water with fat). Since you're obviously too dumb to know what good for you you need the government to explain that to you. Common sense no longer needed, please leave your brain at home.

Hey, and I have some disturbing news, it's not only fat that makes ou fat! Sugar and even meager and healthy food can make you fat when you eat like an elephant. That much for fat tax :rolleyes: and really silly: What's with people wo work hard and move a lot and burn a lot of calories? Will they finally need public support to be able to finance the food they need?

IMO everyone from 18 years on is responsible (and able to judge) what he eats - before the parents are responsible and they are about just as able. In school you learn about movement and eating healthy stuff (I know it's boring as hell but you'll notice it at least) and the prayer is beeing repeated infinitely on the media. No one can claim he did not know and if he does that only shows he's dumb as a nut. These lawsuits make me sick.

Next issues headlines:
    -I'm dumb and I'll sue my school and my parents for inadequate education because it's all their fault
    -I bashed my head against a stonewall until it cracked (the head) and now I sue the wall owner because my lawyer told me there has not been a warning sign that bricks are real tough ... (meee mifelf can't rrrreeeeally ssssee sssttrraikt annnnymorrre)

[ August 08, 2002, 10:09: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

19. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Yeah i saw this on tv. Haha :D :D

Good luck to him. I think he has no chance of getting it. It was is fault that he put the food in his mouth, McDonalds didn't make him eat the food so it was his own fault. What is the point of even going with this case, i think it is highly unlikely that he will get this. Though it would be good to see McDonalds and other fast food outlets to loose some money. :evil: :D

20. Ragusa

Media:
    Maybe the jury thinks the same: "Sure, he's a nuthead but we'd like to see McDonalds bleed a bit - come on, let's be generous with other peoples money - how about $ 150 million compensation?"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.