1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Farscape - any fans here?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Taluntain, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since there's a Blu-ray version of Farscape coming out in a couple of weeks, I guess this is good timing to check if there are any Farscape fans around.

The series got overlooked by most SF enthusiasts originally and I only watched the first season just now. I admit I was very skeptical seeing the first dozen eps as the acting was pretty bad and there seemed to be even less depth to it than SG-1... but then it starts improving and becomes quite watchable. Glaring plot holes and general popcorniness aside, even the first season has a few worthwhile moments.

An intriguing cross between Star Wars, SG-1 and The Muppets in any event... :shake:

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I vaguely recall that show; I'm certain I've watched a few episodes and thought they were worth watching, but I can't say I was much of a fan given I don't really remember much about it :)

3. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    #Rises hand#

Loved the show.
    It was wild, new, exotic, had Muppets in in and lots of crazy-ness!
    Frell everything else. Crichton reinvented the Buck Rogers syndrome.

Can't believe they finally grace us with Blu-Ray.

I already own the regular collection.
    But, man, so worth thinking about this pack too.

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I watched a fair few episodes and I really liked it. Always wanted to pick up the boxset but it was always too expensive for me. Might try to get it again if its not too expensive.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Are there so few things to do in Slovenia that you would want to sit through more than a couple of episodes of a T.V. series you aren't enjoying before you decide to go on to something else?

:p

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I heard one too many Farscape references over the years. I consider it research. :angel:

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've seen it on TV once, but then I saw the muppet figures and quickly moved on to something different. To put it mildly, I don't like the puppets.

Plus, by the time this appeared on TV, I was already not really following series that I actually liked, let alone some kind of weird puppet show sci-fi series. For at least five years now, I don't watch TV at all anymore.

8. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Spoilers.

A very interesting show, just watched the first season. I wouldn't call myself a fan just yet, but I think I'm starting to like it, starting from that scene where Rygel saves the day by losing that space chess game and the scene where everyone laughs off a near-death experience over dinner a few episodes later.

I could swear I could hear Tom Hanks in this series whenever the actor playing Crichton raises his voice.

9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I loved the show. It was great fun.

10. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Saw all episodes, waiting for the Peacekeeper wars.

Edit:
    I can see how people may not like the show. Technically speaking it's a complex mix of very good and bad. I could go on about the characters, the plot, the setting, etc, but I'll skip the bias. The show just seems more "made" than "crafted", let alone "carefully crafted". This "flaw" is both a good and a bad thing. Good, because it makes the telling of Farscape more genuine and sincere - critically important since, despite its setting, the (current) story of Farscape is ultimately the personal story of John Crichton (and arguably Scorpius). Other series, like Firely, are more about a ship, captain and crew and the interaction between them.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of the show, still (the word seems inappropriate). But yeah, I loved it too. I hope it gets continued somehow. Fave char: Dominar Rygel XVI.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  11. Taluntain

Media:
    Yea, the muppet needs his own show - The Far and Wide Mis(adventures) and Exploits of Dominar Rygel XVI. I can see it now... :shake:

12. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Watched a few episode yesterday to kill some time while waiting for family to get ready.

Still pretty great show.
    I forgot how well the 'crazy' worked on this show. I contrast to the more polished and stiffly-intellectual shows like Star Trek NextGen.

13. gorgon82 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Personally, I thought it was the best sci-fi series I've ever seen (except for Dr Who... it's too epic to count). It was kinda slow starting, but things really get interesteing, especially at the end of the series. I'll definately be picking up the blu-ray, I haven't seen it since it was on Space quite a few years ago.

14. Paracelsi

Media:
    Heads up.

I'm not sure if this is such a good or bad thing, but like BG:EE we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  15. Taluntain

Media:
    OMG, that horseshoe moustache just looks so horribly off on that guy. :shake: It's just old stuff though, nothing new... just re-released in mini-series form.

16. Paracelsi

Media:
    Fear the stache :D

Supposedly the same youtube channel was going to feature the new webisodes. Brian Henson from the Jim Henson company has said he hoped it would re-ignite fan interest in the show.

I guess this is their way of testing the waters. The editing could be better though.

17. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

I really liked the show and saw every episode on Netflix.

18. Paracelsi

Media:
  19. Darion

Media:
    Sad News. There goes the Voice of the Dominar!

20. Taluntain

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.