1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fantasy books being made into movies.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Rawgrim, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

In case anyone's interested, I finally bought this month's issue of empire Movie Magazine which had quite a spread on The Golden Compass as well as some up-and-coming screen adaptations of fantasy works, this is what they listed, not counting what's been mentioned above:

The Spiderwick Chronicles (Holly Black & Tony DiTerlizzi) is due April 3 next year
    Here There Be Dragons (James Owen) is due late next year
    Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (Susanna Clarke) is due sometime next year

Due in 2009
    A WarCraft movie
    The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
    The Alchemyst (Michael Scott)
    Dragonriders Of Pern (Anne & Todd McCaffrey)
    Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief (Rick Riordan)
    The Book Of Lost Things (John Connolly)
    Wolf Brother (Michelle Paver)

And in 2010
    The Elric Chronicles (Michael Moorcock)
    Magyk (Angie Sage)
    The Tunnels, aka The Highfield Mole (Roderick Gordon & Brian Williams)
    And yes, Robert Jordan's The Eye Of The World is in development and due in 2010

I also read in this particular spread that Stephen King sold the rights to The Dark Tower to J.J. Abrams for $19...

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ha! Dragonriders of Pern isn't Fantasy, it's SF! ;) That could make an interesting movie.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :rolleyes: By the time Hollywood finishes with Dragonriders of Pern it will be fantasy.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Of those, Warcraft and Elric seem the best suited for the movie treatment, since they have Lots! Of! Killing!

Though Lord knows they'll doubtless turn out to be crap.

5. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Warcraft has such a detailed land and plot if they screw it up they are idiots. Looking forward to it.

Past experience with D&D movies leaves me wondering if it would be a good idea.

6. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Drizzt? Having read the books, never would be too soon.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

VERY TRUE :eek:

I found the Dark Elf trilogy quite good. I'd love to see how Menzoberranzan(sp?) would look visually if they had a big budget. If its some indie-type low budget thing tho, F that.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wizard of Earthsea would be great if done right.

That and the rest of Narnia....

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think it would look better animated than as an actual movie, though.

10. Retet Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I remember liking Terry Brooks, when I read him a long time ago (in 7th grade). Elfstones was probably the best of the bunch and could be a good film. And I think that Magic Kingdom for Sale, Sold! could be a very fun movie if they can pull off it off.

11. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Yup, like the short Entreri/Drizzt fighting scene they have in YouTube. Simply capital.

12. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

The Hobbit

Uhuu, Apparently it’s coming.:banana: :rolling:

And it’ll be made in two parts. Peter Jackson is not confirmed as the director… yet (one can always hope).

I hope they get it right, fingers crossed! :rolleyes:

13. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    2 parts? Well at least this way they can fit more plot line in.

Err... I'm afraid it's already been made into a short TV series and an Anime movie, both of which we're really quite bad.

14. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ t2bruno You mean Ursula's Lequin earthsee. Already here in a mini-mini serie. Not bas but not good enough. Rushed.

The problem whit Drizzt is the overkill in fighting. The characters around him make or break it. I think it is not wise to make it.

15. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm not sure if they can pull it off well, but I'm pretty sure Khelben's monologue at the beginning of Magic of Faerun would be great if pulled off well in a movie. Heck, from what little I know, the Blackstaff is up there in the top 5 of the greatest bad*sses in the Realms, alongside - or despite - being one of its greatest archmages. As long as they make it a good movie and make his character more than a darker-personality Gandalf-wannabe, it could be impressive.

Of course, I suppose this particular monologue would be too long for most people with an attention span shorter than 1 minute, but it would still be great.

16. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Actually saw the anime in a store yesterday, directed by Hayao Miyzaki's son... I thought it looked ok from what little they show on the cover...

17. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Solomon Kane is being made now. Good cast and good budget. Its out in may I belive.
    Janes Purefoy (Mark Anthony in the Rome tv series) is playing Kane. Very good choice in my opinion.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.