1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fantasy books being made into movies.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Rawgrim, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Figured this place would be the right spot to post this. I noticed alot of fantasy books are being made into movies in the next few years. Gonna list up the ones I found, and others can add to that list if i missed any. And of course discuss stuff :)

1. Sword of Truth book 1 (Terry Goodkind) is being made into a mini-series for tv. With Sam Raimi as a director.

2. Magic Kingdom for sale, Sold! (Terry Brooks). This one is out next year.

3. Elfstones of Shannara (Brooks), Will be out in 2009.

4. New Conan movie in 2009

5. New Red Sonja movie in 2008

6. Solomon Kane movie in 2008

7. The Hobbit (Eventually)

8. The first Dragonlance book will be out this year. Animated movie. Kieffer Sutherland is doing the voice for Raistlin and Lucy Lawless is doing the voice for Goldmoon.

Looks like there might be some good movies coming up. If 3-4 of these turn out well I will be very happy. Crossing my fingers that they will aoid another Eragon.....

2. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

i didn't know shannara was being made into a movie.i came to this thread to say i think it should be.you are very well informed.but why did they start with elfstones?they should have started with sword first.

i would also like to see malazan turned into a series of movies.or,even better,a weekly series on sci-fi

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Well to put it bluntly: The sword of shannara is pretty much a lotr rip.off. Brooks himself said it was "too close" to Lotr. So I am guessing thats the reason why they arn`t starting with it. I also saw some rumor about Linsay Lohan being considered for Red Sonja.....That would be just wrong, in my opinion.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, I have to say that I don't see a whole lot there, except for The Hobbit, which would be great as a movie. I understand that GRR Martin's epic is slated for some kind of movie release, but I could be wrong. I'm not a big fan of his books, but I would be interested to see how they translate into film. I have a feeling that SoFI would be pretty good compared to most of the others you cite.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Chandos, SoFI is going to be turned into a series by HBO. should be awesome considering how they handled Rome.

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Tv-series would be the best choice for most fantasy books, I would think. Movies would be too short in most cases.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wonder if the producers have read all the Sword of Truth books. If they have I shudder at their taste. The first few books is decent generic fantasy, good for quick entertainment but not much more but hte later books are pure political pamphlets. Quite disapointed in Sam Raimi, he has done good stuff in hte past but I dont think he can do anything with the Sword of Truth.

8. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Shanara? Conan? Red Sonja? Who needs these?

Does anyone know the 'Tales of the Otori' project's status?

9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Never heard of it to be honest.

Conan, Red Sonja and shannara is important though. Especially Conan. Can`t get more classic than Robert E. Howard you know.

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Aren't the Xanth novels being made into movies too? I seem to remember reading that somwhere...

I'm looking forward to the Hobbit and the Dragonlance movies!!

Do you think there will ever be a film adaptation of the Drizzt novels?

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Probably an animated one. If anything.

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The Dark is Rising will be released this Fall, IIRC.

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Really!!?? Susan Cooper is great. Those were my favorite books back when. I still can pick them up and read them from time to time (I bought them for my kids -- ;) ).

14. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

I've seen the trailer to The Dark is rising, and I was very disappointed.

Judging from it, the movie captures nothing of the book's atmosphere. It essentially makes a good story into something that looks like Michael Bay had been the director.

@Rawgrim: I could accept Conan and Red Sonja if the movies do not take after the old ones.

The Shannara books are quite bad, IMO. So I expect the movie to be similar.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Fabius

Really? The Tales of the Otori are being brought to the big screen? That would be awesome, especially Across the Nightingale Floor. I've read and own the trilogy, but not the last one, "The Harsh Cry of the Heron".

16. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    They should make the Wheel of Time series of movies! Think about it - 30 movies, all 3 hours long, it could span a lifetime! Or an Age - your pick!

17. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

@Enag: I wrote something about the start an Otori-project, but that was a couple of years ago. That's why I asked if someone knew more.

18. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

19. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The last thig I read (some weeks ago mind you) about The Hobbit becoming a film is that there's a LOT of work to do to get the gears moving so to speak because Peter Jackson and New LIne had a HUGE falling out.

Anyway, I read just a couple of weeks ago too that my all-time favourite fantasy series is currently being worked on in some fashion by JJ Abrams - Stephen King's The Dark Tower!! Anyone else shed any light?

20. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

R.A.Salvatore`s DemonWars looks to be made into a movie as well. Scheduled for 2009. No other info about it as of yet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.