1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fantasy books......any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Satiana Fearbringer, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I was just curious why there weren't more books under the mis. section of the fanasty books.

Most people know the more famous fantasy writers, but there are a few good books out there that I thought would be good for the list here at Sorcerer's Place, that not everyone might know about.

George R.R. Martin wrote the Game of Thrones and a Clash of Kings. I thought both of them were very good. I assume they might be more popular with the guys than the girls, it was a little gory and sometimes down right crude writing from time to time, but extremely intersting to read. As stated before it is has a lot to do with power, Kings, and Queens. Dark places unkown and worlds with a different view. Dragons, and knights, and people who you thought were dead come back to visit you. Definetly no love story involved.

Donna Gillespie wrote The Light Bearer. Definetly a good book. It has a female heroine as its main character, but it still kicks butt. It has a little bit of a love story within in it, but it is not done in detail and does not overshadow the main theme of the story. A young women who watchers her people die around her, stands up to fight and bring about what is right, in a land torn in war.

And Stephen R. Donaldson wrote The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through. Takes a little different twist than most fantasy novles. It is a world where you can creat a mirror with an image in it and travel to places unkown to you through them. It is also about finding a champion, who is the only one that can save a destitute world, and finding that champion in the oddest of places.

My descriptions do not do the books justice, but they are really very good. At least in my opinion.

Anyway, just a thought.

2. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I really liked George R.R. Martin's books. I thought they were quite enjoyable.

I also really like Tad Williams. Memory, Thorn and Sorrow where good but the Otherworld Series is amazing. They are some of the best books I have ever read.

3. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've just borrowed the George RR Martin trilogy, and I agree, so far it's Fantastic. The characters are well developed and multifaceted.

He was also mentioned a few times in the Fantasy Authors poll. I'm glad someone loaned me the books! Has he written anything else, in the same genre?

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Satiana - Did you read Donaldson's First or Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant? Thomas Covenant was even more of an anti-hero that Geraden or Terisa.

I would also highly recommend Dennis McKiernan to anybody. You know the legends you hear about where the heros emerge triumphant yet have many scars to show for it? That's the kind of tale McKiernan writes. His first books (The Iron Tower trilogy and the Silver Call duology) are probably hard to find, but he is still writing excellent novels in a consistent world spanning many different ages.

Another of my favorites that I don't see mentioned much is Katherine Kurtz. Her many trilogies about the Deryni are fantastic. Her more recent Adept series is also quite good.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well I mostly fill the Miscellanea section with suggestions people send me over e-mail. Starting a topic here is a good idea too. I will add them when I get around to it.
    In the meantime, feel free to suggest more.

6. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31

I forgot about McKiernan. I really like his books too. Too bad he's probably written his last book in that series. :(

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

On the trendy note: I really enjoyed Terry Goodkind's SWORD OF TRUTH series (although the last few have been let downs).

I recently read the first book in the SARANTINE MOSAIC called "Sailing to Sarantine". It was written by Sir Guy something or other (he helped Tolkin post-mordum finish the Simarillion). This book had a very original concept and kept me guessing.

For good sword action and plot twists, you can't beat David Duncan's The King's Blades ("The Gilded Chain" through "the Sky of Swords") Great action and easy to read.

8. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31

Guy Gavriel Kay wrote the "Sarintine Mosaic". Which I thought was much better than his earlier work in the "Fionavar Tapestry."

I thought that Terry Goodkind's newest book "Faith of the Fallen" (at least I think that's the name) was much better than the two previous books in the series.

9. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

if you like terry goodkind read wizard's first rule its excellent

10. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] i'm gonna assume everyone here has read every single j.r.r. tolkein book ever written, and if you havn't go read them all! and dont show your avatar 'round here again 'lest i smash your face! ;) ;)

11. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] Blackthorne- No I haven't, the Mirror of her Dreams and a Man Rides Through are the only two by him I have read. I was about 16 or 17 at the time and I felt that it was going to be hard to find a book as good as those two were, that I stopped reading for awhile. Everything I picked up, didn't sound all that interesting.

Then about 3 yrs after that there seemed to be all kinds that I was interested in and I never got back to reading any more my him.

But, since I am looking for a new book to read, I think I will try to find the First Chronicle. I want to finish the series that George Martin wrote first, but I think it is going to be a while before he comes out with the last two.

Darien--It does not seem as the George Martin has wrote any other series. He has a couple of novels he wrote a while back called

Dead Man's Hand
    Dying of the Light
    Fevre Dream
    Windhaven

But, I have never read these, so I am not sure if they are any like this series or not.

[This message has been edited by Satiana Fearbringer (edited April 08, 2001).]

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    If anyone is into Fistory? (Fictional History)

A friend of mine wrote a book about the knights of Malta...It's listed at Amazon.com
    The author's name is Nicholas Prata, the book: "Angels in Iron." A good read...Although I am kind of biased.

It's been out for a couple of years...

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Bel;

Shara's stories on the Civil War -- Killer Angels, Gods and Generals, etc. would fall into that category. Very cool books!

Can you post a link to your friend's books?

I also strongly recommend the Warlord Chronicals by Bernard Cornwell.

This spin on the Arthurian legends brings new life to the culture and to the characters. Great battle scenes, wonderful character development.

Cornwell presents an Arthur that even Ragusa would love!

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
  15. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'm rather surprised that no one has menioned Raymond E. Feist. Magician is such a great book.

16. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Magician was indeed excellent.

Steven Donaldson's books are all worth reading. For those who'll venture into Sci Fi too, you must read the Gap series. Brilliant, although bear with the first one which was originally written to stand on it's own, first as a short story, then extended, and it therefore has a bit of a strange feel to it.

Speaking of Sci Fi, anyone who has not read "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card, please hang your heads in shame. It is probably the second best Sci Fi / Fantasy book ever.

The best is of course Lord of the Rings, but that just goes without saying.

17. Viking Gems: 19/31

Anyone else think Robert Jordan is either a money grabbing bastard or has lost the plot totally?

The Wheel of Time goes on and on and on and on and on and............

Really getting rather annoying now, 2 years between books and still not finished at nine!!!! I refuse to buy any more till he's finished it now. The writing isn't even that good. The storyline is or perhaps was. Now it's been dragged out far too much.

Rant, rant. Sorry.

On a brighter note, try L.E. Modesit Jnr's Recluse saga for an entertaining read. Well written, each book stands on it's own. Way to go!

18. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Woohoo!!!! L. E. Modesitt rules!!!! It took me a little to get used to his style of writing but once I started I couldn't stop!!! I even use a name from his books.

On a different note I don't really see why everyone loves Tolkein so much. Sure he was the "father of fantasy" and blah blah blah, I just got bored after a while. The Hobbit was a nice read but The Lord of The Rings got so boring that I had to force myself to finish it, so I gave up on the rest of his books.

[This message has been edited by Cerryl (edited April 10, 2001).]

19. Viking Gems: 19/31

Oh dear Cerryl, oh dear.

Rather than abuse you for such herresy, perhaps a "show of hands" on the board is in order:

To all of you:

"The lord of the Rings" is the greatest book ever written! All in favour say "Aye".

Hmm, perhaps I should just drown the witch anyway? (Self professed white wizard) :D

[This message has been edited by Viking (edited April 10, 2001).]

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ack! All you people calling Science Fiction "Sci-Fi" are not true SF readers at all! ;)

And Viking, Donaldson should have stuck to Fantasy settings, many of his SF premises were almost laughable in the Gap series. The story and characters were indeed interesting though.

"Ender's Game" was better in its short story form than novel form.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited April 10, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.