1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout pnp rpg

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Ironbeard, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate forum, but I thought I'd post a link to this game I found http://www.falloutpnp.com/ Once I've learnt the rules I might think about running a game here. Gotta warn you though, it'll be my first time DMing, and It'll be a long time before I get started (if at all).

[ January 19, 2003, 11:22: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'd be interested in playing, i LOVE fallout, hehe.

3. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

That does sound interesting. I'll have to look more into it.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I'm interested in playing, haven't played any of the Fallout games but that doesn't realy matter that much, I'm in the process of reading the rules now :)

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

One more interested here, fallout rules, played both games and can't wait for fallout 3.

Would be interesting, a game in the fallout universe.

6. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I might be interested. I've played both Fallout games and I loved them! I'll check out the rules first though...

7. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

I think i might try doing a throwing thief type. gotta love those throwing knives!

Aiee! just say the Phantasm Ball. Who says (d12+5) + melee damage is low damage?! Especially when it's thrown!

[ January 06, 2003, 16:57: Message edited by: LordNocturne ]

8. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Hmmm....well as I say it would be a while before I got started (if at all) - at least 3 weeks due to exams etc. Any scenario would have to be fairly simple to start with. I'm thinking of starting in an enclosed community - probably a vault or isolated village, which would place restrictions on characters - so let me know what type of character you want to play. Also, if you could mention the time-period you're interested in with respect to the fallout games. Obviously, I'd try to avoid too much plot-overlap, but things like the state of vaults and the kind of NPCs one meets would depend on that...
    Of course, if anyone else wants to take up the DM role I'm fine with that.

[ January 06, 2003, 19:48: Message edited by: Ironbeard ]

9. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

I think humans would be the most likely race for our group to be. If someone really wanted to try, a dog would be easy to fit in. Or we could always be a group of Ghouls and Muties. Dogs still fit in.

Makes no real difference to me, just as long as i can throw things at people.

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

We could do a mix group of muties and humans but that has to be after the master was killed.

Human player for me though I always play a sniper.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

With all these replies it seems that we hunger a bit for RPing :)
    I feel like playing the arrogent bastard role. A cocky, self assured, lucky fool who likes to hang around the seedier places in town gambling away any money he happens to grab and winning much more than his fair share.
    So what else would fit that role but human ;)

12. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Okay, the replies I'm getting seems to fit what I was hoping for (all human so far, nice and simple). Aikanaro's character seems like he would probably not be trusted in a sterilised vault, and I'm not sure what opportunities there would be for a throwing-type character like Lord Nocturne's - so a survivor village seems like the best idea. I imagine it as fairly low-tech...not quite tribal, every farmer's got a pipe rifle or similar to fend off coyotes, but anything more sophisticated is someone's treasured heirloom. Everyone's character is going to have to have some kind of job back in the village that fits their skills. Science type characters will be rare, as with that tech-level science is seen more as a hobby than an occupation - the village will have a doctor and a repairman (or repairwoman), though.

[ January 07, 2003, 13:46: Message edited by: Ironbeard ]

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Vault? Pwah, pansies live in vaults ;)
    Gotta ask, IRC or the boards, or a nice mixture of both?

[ January 07, 2003, 13:49: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

14. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Don't know yet... for the forseeable future there'll be just setting the scene on the boards. If I can find time we might be able to play out a few short sections of back-story (1/2 hour to hour) in Minstrel's Medallion.

15. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Talking about jobs in the village, since I would be very perspective as a sniper I think scout/hunter would be appropriate :)

16. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

Hmm... i want a throwing thief type. So Stealth comes into play. Definately a hunter. Sneak up on rabbits, chuck knives at them, eat! hehe. That make sense to anyone else?

Though, i've still got to explain the pickpocket, lockpick, and traps. Wait, traps! Set traps for prey too. Could also explain later addition to outdoorsman.

So i need to figure out a good reason for pickpocket and lockpick, but other than that, everything seems to fit.

Anyone have any ideas? Or like to point out a flaw in my logic (one per person, please!) ?

17. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Well, from my understanding of the Fallout rules, you're only allowed three tag-skills anyway - so any ability in other skills would be "native talent" from your primary stats or developed in play. Your character could be an actual thief in the village if you want to start with pickpocket etc. although most people only own what they need to do their jobs, so there would be very little to steal.

My opinion would be that your agility and perception would have to be quite high since throwing and sneak depend on them, and might be enough to get you by for lockpick (10+P+A) and steal (3A). If you have to sacrifice endurance and intelligence to boost your other stats, I would suggest considering outdoorsman, as it sounds quite important to your character.

The community is largely agricultural, and I envision most "hunters" as being more like rangers/guards - tracking down wolves that have been bothering the herds and suchlike. It is certainly possible for a character to survive by hunting...actually he might do quite well by trading furs and so on - but he would probably live far from the village and be regarded as a bit of an "outsider" - like all good heroes :)

If I seem to be meddling in character creation too much with all my suggestions, please forgive me. It's my first time and I want the characters to fit into my little world. I've hardly done anything on the scenario yet, so I can certainly take suggestions from you as well - and will try to arrange things so you can play the type of game you want.

[ January 08, 2003, 01:09: Message edited by: Ironbeard ]

18. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

Actually, what you've been saying is helping. Gives me a better idea of what to plan. though i'm not sure how important outdoorsman will be. In the games, it's almost useless.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Fot the pickpocket and lockpick skills it could be something that your character picked up earlier on in life to survive.

20. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

I know, it's odd that. You would think it would be the most sought after skill for people chosen to leave their community and venture into the wastes. I'm going to try to make it important - maybe for things like tracking, making camp (roll against outdoorsman or suffer damage from exposure) and so forth. Now I think about it, I might make it a catch all for all the Ranger-type feats from d20 - wilderness lore, tracking, intuit direction etc. Hope that helps.

One last thing. If you do decide to be an actual hunter as opposed to a ranger/guard, then in exchange for being an "outsider" I may give you the Gecko skinning perk for free.

[ January 08, 2003, 12:03: Message edited by: Ironbeard ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.