1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

F/M/T or F/C/T

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by aerilon, Aug 15, 2002.

1. aerilon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'm going to install IWD, and HOW, and TOL again, and attempt to solo through the game. I am simply wondering which of these classes is better suited to it. I am slightly put off by F/M/T because, until you find elven chainmail, you will be unable to cast spells while wearing armor. Whereas, with the F/C/T not only can you cast spells while wearing armor, which will allow you to at least use leather until you find elven chain, but also you get healing spells, as well as Turn Undead, and there are quite a few undead in this game.

2. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

umm...it's f/m/c or f/m/t so you're picking between thief and cleric. the f/m/t has a better selection of weapons and can disarm the traps (instead of mirror image/stoneskining through them), but the f/m/c can heal and cast divine spells with heavy armor in the begining. i'd go f/m/c.

3. aerilon Gems: 3/31

Ah. Pardon the mixup. When I multiclass I don't normally use triple classed characters, so I'd forgotten which ones were available. In that case, I think F/M/T. The F/M/C couldn't use mage spells while wearing any armor, not until he got elven chainmail.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It's always a wikked tieup on parties.

Iwd has a whole slew of traps. Quite a few are unavoidable, like right before a door or on a bridge.
    But you don't last too long without a cleric in the major battles.
    (unless you cheat like me)

I'm gonna say FMC too. You can cast find traps and avoid all that you can, and those few you have to hit you can usually absorb if you're above 80% HP.
    You don't get any extra quest bonus having only one player, and there's 4 or 5 quest bonuses in HoW and TotL that *REALLY* hook you up.

840,000 XP normal, 1.6meg under Heart of Fury really hooks your whole party up. And there's several piddly 420,000's in there too.

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

[​IMG] If he's soloing, we have to assume that's he's got an xp cap remover. With the cap on, soloing this game is almost impossible. With only one character getting all the xp, he's not going to have to be worrying about losing the minor quest xp.

My suggestion as to what to use would actually be mage/cleric. You really won't need the fighter levels, and this way your mage and cleric levels will get higher, more than compensating for losing the fighter.

6. aerilon Gems: 3/31

XP Cap Remover? No, I don't have one of those. Wouldn't want one, either. The game was designed to go up to a certain level, to circumvent the game rules can be considered cheating. Not interested.

7. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Now you know I'll show up when anyone posts about F/M/T in IWD!

First off....with HOW installed there is a level 30 exp. cap. That means you can be a 30/30/30 (it actually says next level: godhood) F/M/T. Trust me, there is no need to be at a level higher than that.

As far as soloing goes F/M/T all the way. You don't need a Cleric in the game, even if you solo. There are so many healing potions in the game, and when you get the ring of regeneration you are set. As far as wearing armor is concerned....who needs it? Armor is a level 1 mage spell, and it give you an ac of 6, and lasts for 12 hours! That means you can cast it, memorise another spell, rest, and still be effected by it! Once you get mirror image, you are really hard to hit, and can even cast fire-balls on yourself and not get hurt! Don't even get me started on stone-skin and invisibility!

And forget about the elven chain, there are some robes in the game that give a better AC than the Elven chain, and have better special effects.

Finially, remember that a F/M/C can't use swords or bows. Now what kind of self respecting elf WOULDN'T use swords and Bows?

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Minor quest XP?

Mother of God!

What's your idea of major XP?

[Edit: Llandon has a point. Ac 6 isn't too shabby, especially if you keep some cold/fire/magic robes around for the immunity. But, a potion/regen is no match for a Heal spell when you hit the BOSS characters. On a few of them, it's possible to lead them around enough or pass through a door, and whittle everyone down; but not all of them. I have to admit, after finding the Killsword about a year ago, I've not casted many spells. My magic skillz are sorely lacking...] :)

[ August 15, 2002, 22:07: Message edited by: ejsmith ]

9. aerilon Gems: 3/31

What the heck is the killsword? And where's the ring of regeneration located at in IWD?

10. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Well...I played through IWD two times solo with a F/M/T...and I found it to be a very fun experience. Even better, in fact, than playing with a full party. The only problem was that the beginning was hard, and the end was too easy. Lets face it, if you have a high level solo character, he/she can wipe the floor with any monster that the game sends at you.

11. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've only tried soloing once and that was with a bard (hey if you're gonna solo make it a challenge :) ) I got to the 2nd level of dragon's eye with no problem but gave up there. Bards just suck to much at doing everything.

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

why, why, why must almost all of you have three chars... i soloed with my halfling fighter/thief all the way until i met Malovon couse there i got tired... a fighter/thief is great and you get much higher in levels... o well... that is just what i think...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.