1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

experience doesn't increase

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Tofa, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Tofa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] i'm on baldurans island in TotSC but i just realised my experience points haven't gone up with my kills for a while. what's the deal?

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    The experience cap is limited to 161K with TotSC... Sorry mate but your party can't level beyond that (unless you install a mod).

3. Tofa Gems: 7/31

so baisically i'm not leveling 'till SoA? can i install the mod now and then carry on?

4. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Caradhras is right, if you reached 161.000 XP points, you stop advancing. At least you are near the end of the game (that is, if you're playing TotSC content just before fighting Sarevok).

You could install an XP cap remover and continue gaining levels. However, when you take your character to SoA, the game will bring his/her XP back to 161.000, so there really is no point.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    IIRC, when you start SoA with a max-level imported character, some of it's XP is removed so he gets even less than 161k.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I don't believe that you actually lose XP if you import a character in SoA. I don't play BG1 anymore so I can't really give it a try...
    I got carried away once (playing BG tutu) with a solo bard and I was able to level up right at the start in Irenicus Dungeon.
    Still importing from BG1 may work differently.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Just export your character before applying the XPCapremover, you can't keep the equipment you will gain anyway.

When my brother imported his character to BG2 after using an XPCap remover his HP got messed up. (increased quite a lot)

If you still have to read the wisdom tome from Durlag's tower you could use the XPCapremover and set the max XP for your character class manually back to 161,000. (Or just use a character editor after importing to BG2)

8. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Importing from TotSC with 161 000 XP keeps the 161000. However, if you start a new BG2 SoA game, you will start with 89 000.
    If I remember correctly, if you come with more than 161000 XP from BG1 (e.g. due to XP cap remover), it will be decreased to 161 000 in BG2 SoA. But it can be set back to the "correct" value with an editor such as Shadow Keeper. (Note: I do NOT support any kind of XP cap changes, the information I provided above does not reflect my approach.)

9. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

@ Caradhras: your XP didn't go down because technically, Tutu is a BG2 install.

So when you start a new game with a BG2 char the game won't touch your XP, that's right. But when you import a char from BG1, it does. (I don't know how the engine tells the difference, though).

@ kmonster: never heard of HPs increasing, maybe it's a side effect thing. What I know is that when importing from BG1, if you choose a kit for your class, your HPs will be averaged. Got me feeling like an idiot for reloading 86476x in BG1 every time I leveled up just to make sure I'd get maximum HPs.

The way around is not to choose a kit (hit back). Or to use Shadowkeeper to give you your old HPs, if you don't consider it cheating.

10. Tofa Gems: 7/31

thanks. i think i'll just start another SoA game. over BG1. shot for the help.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.