1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Experience and Class

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Seyahat, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Seyahat Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Is it my imagination or do different classes get different amounts of experience for beating up beasties? How does this work?

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

XP system is very unpredictable.
    Just give it a search :)

Basicaly it's supposed towork like that: You kill a monster with level 3 and get more XP. If you kill the same monster later with higher level you wont get so much XP.

But thats just theory, reality is much diffrent.

And all classes get the same XP at the same level, unless they are heavily multiclassed.

3. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You're probably right. It's similar to IWD 2 where you earn low or no experience for defeating weak monsters at higher levels. But I can't confirm since I've only used one class in playing NWN.

4. Seyahat Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

That could be it, but it seems like my sorcerer gets more credit for killing nasties than my rogue. I am not organized enough to have written things down, but I feel like mage-types might be getting more credit than sword-wielders. Perhaps to make up for having to split credit with their familiar? Like I said, I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think all classes are getting the same credit.

Might as well add a pet peeve here: why don't rogues get credit for roguery in the OC? I mean picking locks and (in particular killing with traps) should be better "experience" than simply butting heads with bad guys... shouldn't it? I've found some modules that reward rogues for being rogues... I like it.

Cheers all.

5. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I know what you mean.The thing is there are different systems in the past D&D games and the creators feel that only certain actions get rewards. There are many traps to disarm in the game and this might make levelling up as a rogue faster than other classes. The creators may have foreseen a potential imbalance. But in pen and paper games, you should get rewarded for successfully using your abilities.

6. Jabbrwock Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Different classes get different XP rewards for killing monsters. Fighters tend to get poor rewards, Wizards get good rewards. Just play through the prelude with different classes and don't get Pavel to see this most clearly.

Your companion or companions also change your XP rewards. Have a big party of companions near your level, don't expect many XP for killing stuff. Hang out with a level 4 Dire Badger with a level 16 character, and you get a substantial XP bonus.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.