1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Exception Breakpoint" error

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Enagonios, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] hey guys, my laptop has been messing up for a while now with symptoms such as extreme lag, etc. but now it's gotten so bad that I can't even shut it down anymore unless I just hold the power button down and I know that's really bad for it.

What happens is that a dialog box pops up saying an exception breakpoint was reached at "bunch of number coordinates" and hit "ok" to terminate and "cancel" to debug but it never matters which of these I hit, the dialog boxes keep coming back up and when they finally go away, the computer is so lagged that you cant even open a my documents folder anyway.

i guess the most obvious question to ask is: what is going on?? and the next is: what do i do to fix it?

just to give you guys an idea of my hard drive layout, i have just major installed programs in my c: (firefox, etc) and maybe just 10gb worth of downloads in my d: drive. I have an external HD (g:) which is full of movies/files/etc. I stuck them in here bec. I was under the (probably mistaken?) impression that my computer wouldn't lag so much if I placed all my files in the external HD as opposed to in the computer?

also, i have a feeling maybe somehow my zonealarm program is somehow linked to the problem? because i've tried to uninstall it and everytime i do, the exception breakpoint stuff comes out, the uninstall fails and then the computer turns totally useless just like when i try to shut it down and it stays this way until I'm forced to manually shutdown by holding the power button down and then just turning it on again.

HELP :o

you guys are my only/last hope (heh, very princess leia > ben kenobi) since I'm in China right now and can still hardly order food much less explain my problems to some sort of tech support.

im using an HP 520 and Windows xp btw if that's at all relevant.

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
  3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    A few things.

First, keeping all of your movies on an external HDD isn't going to speed anything up. If anything, it would slow it down because the USB speed is slower than SATA. Now, if your internal HDD is 99% full with all of your media, then yes, it would slow things down...otherwise, it's safe to put everything on the internal HHD and use the external as a backup drive. :thumb:

ZoneAlarm is known for breaking upon trying to uninstall it. Monty's link is a good place to start. IF that doesn't help, head of to ZA's forums.

Once you've got the ZA problem out of the way, you might want try out a registry cleaner/optimizer. CCleaner has a built in Reg cleaner...and since it's free, there's no reason you *shouldn't* be using CCleaner!

As for Lag issues, they reading my guide for the MSCONFIG utility. It might not cure all your problems, but it will help. :D

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

thanks guys. i followed the first link and tried to apply that solution first but the breakpoint error would occur even when i tried to upgrade to the latest version, argh!

i went on the forum though and found a do-it-yourself uninstall which took me several manual shutdowns before i finally got it to work, whew!

stupid zonealarm

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yeah...just upgrading usually doesn't fix the problem. You have to do a full/clean uninstall, remove a bunch of crap that ZA left behind, and then pray you got everything before you install the newest version. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.