1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ex-NHLer awarded $15 Million for use of his name in Spawn

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by JSBB, Jul 12, 2004.

1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

In the latest round of court decisions former NHL hockey enforcer (i.e. his job on the ice was generally to fight players from the other team) Tony Twist has been awarded $15 Million U.S. for the use/abuse of his name in the Spawn comics. The comics included a Mafia boss named Antonio "Tony Twist" Twistelli.

Todd McFarlane claims that (1) the characters in his comics "are purely fictional fantasies, and no reasonable person could confuse the plaintiff with the fictional fantasies and characters portrayed therein" and (2) use of the name was protected by free speach rights under the First Amendment.

McFarlane's lawyers will be appealing the decision.

You can read more about it here.

Quite frankly this seems absurd to me. Beyond the name, I don't see any similarities between the comic character and the hockey player and quite frankly I strongly doubt that anyone would think that they are somehow connected. Also, I really don't see how Mr. Twist has suffered damages out of this. I strongly doubt that anyone's opinion of Mr. Twist has been negatively influenced by the comic book character.

I am sure that most of you have seen the standard tv/movie disclaimers about characters being purely fictional and any similarities to actual people being co-incidence. They always seemed rather silly to me but I guess that this sort of thing is exactly what they were intended for. Of course, I rather imagine that it wouldn't have helped as Mr. Twist would just have argued that the use of "his" name was not co-incidence.

So what do you think, does Mr. Twist's case have merit or is he just being greedy?

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

he is just being greedy. seriously how can someone judge in his favor, what will be the next, some guy named Peter Parker suing spider-man? the next thing we know, is that all fiction have to use fictive names, because otherwise people might sue them.

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, it's a US courtroom, nuff said. :D

4. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Absolutely. Some of the awards, findings and sentences I've read are just ludicrous. Makes Caligula seem less crazy after all for putting his mother to death (for having given birth to him without his consent) and making a horse his personal advisor. I know it's often said that the law is an ass, but sometimes I just shake my head and wonder what the judge was on when they made that ruling. And $15 million? I should get my father to sue the makers of Looking For Alibrandi for using a character with his name in it.

Now going :yot: ...

I still think the most appalling miscarriage of justice I've seen was a recent case in Australia. A woman was in the process of divorcing her husband and was literally packing her bags to leave when the husband returned home and raped her. According to a precedent set some 200+ years ago in England (since Australia inherited their common law as a colony), a man could not be found guilty of raping his wife, since marriage presumed consent, and despite the facts of the case showing the violent and brutal, calculated nature of the event, the judge was bound to follow that finding. The law was changed two weeks later, but that ******* went free.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

My entire family should sue the makers of Tomb Raider for using Croft as her last name. Do they have any idea how much I have suffered at the hands of my peers? All saying how hot my mum is... I can't take it! I'll sue damnnit! :wail: I'll sue!!! :wail:

:edit: Holy cow. I just read NonSequitur's post. That is a problem that sadly can't be avoided with criminal law. However with people being sued the judge makes the call.

[ July 13, 2004, 10:03: Message edited by: Abomination ]

6. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hmmmm... there's a guy who works here whose first name is Garfield... I bet he could make some good money if he just moved to the US and sued... :roll:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.