1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Evil Party vs Good Party?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Bateluer, May 30, 2002.

1. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Do you play as a good party or an evil party? I always end up playing as a good party.

Also, I seem to have a problem playing an evil party, I just can't do it. Not only that, but keeping the reputation high enough to avoid higher prices, and low enough to keep your evil party members . . . . ack!

One of these days, I will have to play as an evil party just to see how Edwin and Viconia go along.

2. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Have always played a good party, just seems to fit the story better.

3. Confirmer9 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I found playing as "good" to be too easy after a while. So, for now, I've been playin as evil.
    I liked the interactions between the evil NPC's for the most part, but after I finished SOA with them, I decided I'd rather create my own "EVIL" party. Too bad I can't have a paladin or a ranger in it though... :(

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

What we need, is a blackguard! Now that would be interesting...

5. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

[​IMG] If there were a market where evil players could buy/sell without such a huge penalty, it would be easier to deal with. Having to constantly buy reputation points at a temple tends to get old. Its more effort to play evil, but it still fun, especially if role play it EVIL! (not some wannabe evil, maybe everyone will still think I'm evil if I free the slaves, closet do gooder.)

6. Good party.(because of my love for pallies.Go cavaliers:angel:.Down with the filthy inquisitors:evil:)Playing with an evil party makes conversation harder.It doesn't help with discounts and it is hard to have good raputation and keep them.I think that there is patch or download that allows you to have :evil: guys and good rep.I have got it but I still prefer :angel: Guys(good guys)

7. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG]
    I hate to be the one to tell you this but inquisitors are also paladins. So infact you hate all paladins except for cavaliers as you seem to spend most of your time on these boards telling people. Along with how your cavalier is so great with 9999999+ hp 25 in all stats and a flaming sword up his ass!! :flaming::almostmad::grr:

[This message has been edited by Lazy Bonzo (edited May 31, 2002).]

8. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I always play a good party. Don't ask why, I'm just a good person. :holy:
    Lately though, I've been wanting to try out an evil party. Maybe with my PC as an Elven Assasin or Barbarian.
    BTW, when I play good I have a CG Elven Swashbuckler or a Human Cavalier.

PS- Lazy Bonzo vs Padine. Current score, 5-0 (respectively)

9. Salventis_385 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I often try to play evil :evil:, but i always end up playing the good way :angel:. Both ways have their pros and cons, though.

Good parties can buy things more cheaply than evil parties, and often get better rewards for quests etc, however, all of the good NPC's In BG2 are pansies :hippy: compared to the evil NPCs. Korgan, Edwin and Viconia are easily the three best, when it comes down to fighting.

Too bad you can't make Edwin and Korgan change alignments.

10. spyboy Gems: 1/31

Except Padine, Inquisitors are Paladins.

11. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

12. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've played BG2 successfully before. I can offer a little perspective on this.
    1) As long as the reputation does not exceed 18, the evil party members will stay with you. You may have to listen to Korgan get belligerent with his Axe in hand, and Edwin comment on your deficient intellect, but if you find it worth it, playing as an evil party is certainly feasible.
    2) Keep in mind that even in today's world, mafiasos and big corporations try to maintain an external image of respectability. Why should it be any different for an evil Child of Bhaal who should by wary of getting hunted down by soldiers of Amn and Cowled Wizards?
    3) The payoff for playing an evil protagonist comes when you end up in Hell after killing Irenicus the first. There, you have the luxury of selecting which powers your protagonist obtains, as opposed to always picking the good path. For example, unless you happen to have a cleric as the protagonist, who wouldn't prefer +2 strength over +1 wisdom and +1 charisma.
    4) In Throne of Bhaal, the differences between good and evil choices become far clearer as you make your way to destiny.
    5) Evil characters also get along with each other in a twisted sort of way. Edwin and Korgan constantly compliment each other on having different ways of kicking butt. Viconia will seductively tease the starved-for-some Edwin.
    6)If you find they're aren't enough "EVIL" characters out there, neutral characters can fill the ranks as well. For example, Jaheira will come within a hair of challenging Viconia, Edwin, and Korgan to a duel but stops herself just short. HaerDalis' is for his part careful to stay diplomatic with the others.

My evil party, if you don't mind my recommendation, is as follows:
    Protagonist - Fighter/Thief, BG2 is starved for thief NPCs, and doubly so for evil characters. Fighter and Thief abilities combined can produce some really devastating results.
    Jaheira
    Viconia - the protagonist's lover
    Korgan
    HaerDalis
    Edwin

13. MoonMeister Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Good Party at first, Evil Party ever since I beat it the first time.

I have more fun with an evil party, but too bad you miss out on most quests if your attitude is "screw everyone else, me me me!"

I have a solution to your reputation problem, but if you don't like the choices you would normally make as an evil character, I wouldn't bother.

I have been playing around with AI scripts and can now allow myself to hotkey (E) so that everytime I hit E, my reputation increases 2 points. Only side effect is that random party members ask me if I have chosen to kick them out of the group the number of points my reputation changes! (AUTO-REFORM PARTY, uggh)

Plan to add this stuff to my website soon, have a whole bunch of other kewl scripts for y'all!

-MM

14. Camlan Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Is it possible not to take any of the two choices, I mean, playing a neutral party?

You would choose the good or the evil path depending on what you think you should do (Lawful Neutral), preserving the balance (True Neutral), or doing what's in your mood (Chaotic Neutral).

Is this possible or once you take the evil path your alignment changes?

15. CUE Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I am currently using an evil party:
    ME (Wizard Slayer)
    Korgan
    Viconia
    Haerdalis
    Jan
    Edwin.

My rep is 7 and I don't notice any price increase.

The shopkeepers practically give me their stuff, after drinking some potions of master thievery.

[This message has been edited by CUE (edited June 07, 2002).]

16. MoonMeister Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] No, your alignment doesn't change based on your choices. You can be neutral and inconsistent with your alignment all you want since the game doesn't offer bonuses or penalties for sticking close to your alignment. But I think certain classes like the Ranger and Paladin lose special abilities if you stray towards evil.

I normally pick Chaotic Neutral because I would mainly make choices as you said, based on what mood I'm in. You'll be surprised at how many things you can get away with, you can be extremely insulting and the NPC's will often still cooperate.

-MM

17. Person_Persival Banned

Evil doesn't nessisarly mean its the best, Its the alternative to a sucky good party. Its like this, Minsc or Korgan (Or Sarevok even) Anomen or Viconia, Imoen or Edwin? Evil always is the better path, and lets you do what you want. I never play as evil or good myself, I am Neutral, I can use evil chars, Edwin, Korgan, Sarevok, Viconia and last, Minsc. Minsc is the only half decent good character, and still hes not that good.

Evil you can become powerfull and do as you wish, Good means you have limitations to what you can do.

18. Cog Primius Guest

[​IMG] Just so you now... the game is built so that you must be good

1. the prices are sky-high if you are evil (should be a shop where it is cheaper though)

2. the storyline

3. it is not ANY evil thiefs in the hole f*cking game

but still i always play as evil wizard-slayer or ranger (SK) with Valygar in my party and i always stay at about 9-11 in rep

19. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've played with 2 evil parties, 2 neutral and three good and all are as good as each other

20. purerflames Guest

neutral parties are the best.... besides evil parties all they do is go around killing people . . . and good parties are all goody-two-shoes . . . i get up to 18 rep. and then i kill an inocent peasent to keep my rep down at 10 again . . .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.