1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Euthanasia, For or Against?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    See here for Wkipedia article

'Pulling the plug' is not considered euthanasia if there is a Living Will.

I have a Living Will.

2. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Definitely for it. It pained me greatly to see my late uncle suffering with lung cancer.

If the person doesn't want to live the rest of whats left of their painful and excruciating life, its his decision. Heck, I wouldn't want to be forced to live under such conditions.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Grillen - It's the AoDA, so bad jokes with no content are not acceptable (bad jokes with real content generally will be OK depending on how bad the joke is).

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Im for it, as long as the person is in a irreversible state and is clearly in pain or similar, or if the person can say/make a sign that he/she wants to die.

5. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I wouldn't like to end like vegetable. DNR (*takes The Gathering album by Testament and plays the first song on full volume*)

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
  7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

For euthanasia.
    Trying to keep a person alive on machines when they may not want to or cannot express their decision is always a dicey problem. But there must be a freedom to make that decision. A blanket ban on euthanasia for no reasons other than supposed morality of the vocal old is plain wrong.

I for one would not want to lie in a comatose or painful condition forever hooked on machines while my chance of haveing a real life is minimal to negligible. Nor would I want it suffered by anyone I care for. That I guess is why most of our treatments are done in private hospitals. Government hopises may have to abide by rules but private ones are quite willing to ignore them and stop taking measures to keep a body warm.

8. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    It seems here on SP we have a majority (thus far) of pro for euthanasia. It's interresting I never would have thought of that. I was pretty sure the ''Nays'' would've been in majority.

9. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

And why would that be ?

Pro btw.

10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What suprises me that given the intelligence of the average SPer they are confusing euthanasia and the removal of life support or the refusal to use it.

I can understand that there may be cases where someone would choose euthanasia but it should be strictly controlled and monitored.

11. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Well, Nakia, technically the removal of life support isn't euthanasia, but isn't it often referred to as passive euthanasia? So, I can see the point of confusion.

I'm in favor of active euthanasia, and it is actually legal here in Holland, however there is a major flaw in the system. The patient must be in unbearable pain with no prospect of improvement, and at that moment consciously (and often repeatedly) say that he/she wants to be euthanised. This eliminates the possibility for the demented to be euthanised, no matter what pain they are in. It is argued that a demented person does not know what he/she wants anymore and might just as well say 'yes', when they actually don't want to be euthanised. Wishes expressed in the past, or even documented are not respected. The family should be able to decide over active euthanasia, just like they can over passive euthanasia, if a person can't make the decision himself.

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Well it would be pretty stupid to pump the patient with a little morphine, pull the plug and wait for nature to take its own course. The whole point here imo is to relieve the patient and the family's pain that comes from the former being kept alive artificially in a situation where there is no hope of recovery. Its not as if an OD of any one of the myriad of available drugs wont do 'em in.

13. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Nakia, it just so happens that I was a bit ignorant on the difference in definition, so thanks for the article, it was informative.

Come to think of it, haven't there also been trials on "pulling the plug" -type of cases? Some people are steadfastly against that too, considering it tantamount to murder. That's probably where my confusion came from.

I'm still "for" though. It's a choice thing. If I was terminally, hopelessly ill and in a lot of pain, I'd really like the option to be on the table.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have to echo Nakia's thoughts on this. "Pulling the plug", removing life support, having a DNR order, etc., do not constitute euthanasia. At best, they can be described as passive euthanasia, as Mesmero mentioned, but I'm not sure I'd even qualify it as that. Euthanasia is doing something to actively end one's life (usually the equivalent of a lethal injection), not the removal of life-sustaining equipment or nutrients. It's what Dr. Kavorkian does, not what happened to Terri Shaivo.

I have a living will, but that doesn't mean I would be euthanised. In fact, since I have not explicitly stated that I would want that to happen, I think I wouldn't be. However, if I was in a persistent vegetative state, I wouldn't want life sustaining treatment - but that doesn't mean I'd be euthanised.

15. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I'm pro on the condition that the person him/herself asks for it. If you fall into a coma or something, I'm a little more iffy, maybe if they can prove you requested it at an earlier date, kind of a DNR order, but the family shouldn't be able to decide for you. I also think that, as long as you have not specified your wishes, and someone is willing to pay the hospital bills, they should keep you on life-support. If I'm in a coma and my parents have no hope, but my wife does, or vice versa, I don't want one to be able to order my death against the wishes of the other. The best someone can do is refuse to pay. The only time I think parents/guardians should have any say is in the case of young children who haven't had a chance to express their opinions.

16. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I want to die as a man, not a vetegable.

I'm with the "suffer horribly if you want it outlawed" group.

17. Ofelix

Media:
    So does this mean you're for or againts? Your post isn't clear IMO.

Now with the help of Nakia, Mesmero, and some other (thank!) the subject is more clearer, and some others. The ambiguity (spelling? :hmm: ) between euthanasia and pulling the plug is no more. Now people does that change your view? Not mine though in fact I'm pro for both of them.

18. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I believe he means that he is pro-euthanasia.

And I'm still with Ofelix, after the clarification of the words.

19. Nakia

Media:
    This may sound ambiguous but I am in favor only of a case by case descision. I just think that there is too much chance of misuse of either. I am not in favor of a blanket legalization of either. In the case of "pulling the plug" I am more liberal but with euthanasia I am more conservative.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that if someone is in a vegtable state then they are brain dead. Based on personal experience I don't think it takes very long for the person to be legally dead once the plug is pulled.

20. Ofelix

Media:
    Yes Nakia, you have brought a good point. Some people might see euthaniasia of a quick way to commit suicide. Yes I haven't though of that. Still I'm pretty sure with a strick reglementation and a case by case attitude euthanasia can be a good thing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.