1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Euthanasia, For or Against?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    A subject being debated at the moment - should mercy killing be allowed?

What do you think? Should Voluntary Active Euthanasia be allowed?

2. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I for one wish to be able to decide whether I'll rot away in tubes or go less painfully. As long as the patient has a sound mind and is capable of expressing the desire, or can be proven of having done so at an earlier time, I'm all for it. One shouldn't be forced to live if they don't wish to.

You sure have a knack for choosing touchy topics, wobbly fella. I can already hear the galloping horses ...the knights are riding into town.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I am very much Pro on this issue. My mother died a very painful death due to lung cancer (she loved her cigarettes). I don't believe anyone should have to go through that. By that I mean the dying and the dying's family.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Completely, yes. This is one of very few subjects that I will NOT argue on. If anyone's against it, then I hope you die a long and excruciating death.

5. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I agree with my feline friend here.

6. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    It's a difficult question. I think it depends very much on the individual case rather than the issue in general, every situation is different. Although I am wholly against the case of Charlotte Wyatt, the terminally ill baby in the news at the moment. She was born early and has a brain that's complete mush apart form one emotion : pain. Her parents are fighting for the doctors to resuscitate her should she have a crisis, and have just been given what they want. The poor child feels nothing but pain, all day every day. It's cruel beyond words. :(

7. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Completely, no. This is one of few subjects that I will NOT argue on. If anyone's for it, then I hope you'll die as soon as your family decides that.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Against. Against buying hours or days with artificial means if the person doesn't want it but against euthanasia, as well.

9. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I'm for it. And this reminds me of one song by Death, Pull the Plug:
    Memories is all that's left behind
    As I lay and wait to die
    Little do they know
    That I hear their choise of life

End it now, it is the only way
    Too cruel, that is what they say
    Release me from this lonely world
    There is no hope - Why don't you

Pull the plug
    Let me pass away
    Pull the plug
    Don't want to live this way

Once I had full control of my life
    I now behold a machine decides my fate
    End it now it's all to late

What has now been days, it seems like years
    To stay like this is what I fear
    Life ends so fast, so take your chance
    And make it last

End it now, it is the only way
    Too cruel, that is what they say
    Release me from this lonely world
    There is no hope - Why don't you

Pull the plug
    Let me pass away
    Pull the plug
    Don't want to live this way

I don't see any solution in this. You don't want a person to suffer being connected to all those artificial means but you also don't to "pull the plug".

10. Felinoid

@Arendil:
    Ha ha. And in all seriousness, I hope I do too. You might hold it against your family if they did it to you, but I know my family and wouldn't hold it against them even if it was done for the worst of reasons.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I don't believe it's obligatory to fight for each passing minute if it's already known that the person is dying. But I don't believe in stepping in and cutting it, either.

12. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Very hard subject, I'm against letting people die when there's still hope, but on the other hand, keeping people alive while death is inevitable is useless too. But I find it nearly impossible to draw a line here, people in coma can come back after 15 years or more, and some deadly ill people can recover a bit and live a few more years in relative happiness.

So i'm against euthanasia as a concept, but ''letting someone go'' is sometimes okay, I'm not sure if this is really euthanasia...

13. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I'm for, if the person has absolutely no chance of surviving why let him/her continue suffer? Not only euthanasia will end the suffering of the ill patient it will also give time to doctor to concentrate on other person who can be saved. I don't want to sound insensitive but it's a waste of time and medical ressources that could be used for other patients.

I am clearly for. but only if requested by the person or family. No Doctor should have the right to determine if a patient require euthanasia.

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I'm with Ofelix. In fact, that is almost exactly what I was going to type.

15. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You just love starting fights, don't you, Barmy? :p

And to answer the question, with some reservations, yes. Having watched both my grandfathers suffer (paralysed and with no hope of recovery) following multiple strokes has inspired me to write up a living will which makes it abundantly clear that I don't want to exist like that.

16. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Because of my ill-health I've had to create a will and also look at a medical power of attorney and tried to sort out some of these questions.

For instance I have a DNR for hospitals now and have stated my wishes that if I'm in a permanent vegetative state that a court order should be applied for to remove the machines and euthanasia to kill my body rather than leaving it to starve to death.

17. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hm... We had to debate this in civics class.

I am for. All the way, and in almost all cases. If a doctor declares there is less than 5% recovery,someone is in a vegitative state should have their pulled. Yes, there are cases when a person does come back after so many years, but they're destroyed. The technology age has increased so much every year, a person waking up after 15 years would have a traumatic experience. They have no job, no money, no technical skills, their family is 15 years older, their friends moved away, some people they've known may have died or be on the verge of dying. What's the point of bringing someone back only to let them face chaos psychologically?

However, I shall bring up my final decision for law. If someone is in a vegetative state, then if in 3 years the doctors still conclude nothing can be done for them, pull the plug. If, like Susan Rodriguez, someone approaches the court for permission to die earlier, then it should be granted.

18. grillen Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I am against youth in Asia.

19. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    What? I don't see your point there, what's the link with euthanasia ?

20. Felinoid

[​IMG] "Euth...an...asia"
    Youth...in...Asia

/me waits for Ofelix's :doh:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.