1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Eurovision

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Eze, May 25, 2003.

1. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

This year's Eurovision was certainly the most f*cked up Eurovision I have ever seen. Guess who won? Turkey.

Luckily Russia didn't win.

But Latvia.

*shakes head*

To be honest, I burst into tears, when Latvia gave those 12 points to Russia.

I did. Oh well. Poland, Belgium, Turkey, Greece and Austria(aka the anti-Eurovision song, like my mom says), they were good.

My dad LOVED Austria and still believs that the Finnish song is the best.(He's kidding)

My mom was totally in love with Belgium's song.

Oh well. The thing was really political with all that war going around.

Or maybe it was the ****. : )

Share your thoughts as well.

2. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I come from Britain. May i just write this formal apology:

I, Benjamin Sleep, hereby apologise on behalf of the British nation to the population fo the world for our countries appaling performance in the Eruovision song contest. It was disgusting, out of tune and vomit inducing.
    Rest assured that the members of the group who sang, will be lynched by an angry mob on arrival home.
    Once again i apologise for any physical or mental harm caused by this event. We can only hope it does not happen again.

And i wanted israel or spain to win. But politics denies me again.

3. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Whats a Eurovision?

4. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

Also from Britian here. I heard the song on the net site and after 3 seconds wanted to shoot them! All the time through the voting there is the underlying commentary "Very Political" and "What i can only describe as 'post iraqui war voting' " to explain Britian being the only country with 0. Well sure the political voting was there, but basically our song just plain sucked; i mean more than usual.

I now have a request: Whoever came up with the idea of Eurovision, please send me those hours that it has wasted of my life back? Or just replace it with something better to watch on TV.

SoCo, Eurovision is where countries from Europe sing a song. Then there are televotes or jurys in all the countries to decide how to allocate points to countries (and you can't vote for yourself).

Invariably: Ours (United Kingdom's) sucks.
    Greece gives Cyprus maximum points (usually 12)
    Cyprus gives Greece maximum points (usually 12)

The winning song tends to make you want to kill those involved; actually all of the songs tend to cause that wish.

So now you know.

5. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I really loved Austria That guy ruled!!! I hated turkey Belgium was much better and of course Rusia I Didn't like our song but we got the 13 place.

I hated the Turkish song "I wanna Hahaha" >? What kind of lyricjs are that? I liked the singer from poland whit his pink hair and nice jacket.

But most of the songs did suck. I must say that that portugal girl looked really cute ;) .

6. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Croatia here...

Well in my country eurovision is the reason for great media fight over stupid questions like, should we sing in Croatian or in English, or they make that one person must win, or i think there was fight about lyrics, it looked like Springer Show to me... This year, song sounded to me like some experimental tune and it was full of some weird pauses... But, we had better and worse than this...

Problem with my people is that they like to live on previous successes and that high opinion they (we) have about themselves usually makes us loose... Football... I hate it!

Voting is somewhat "political", but the fact that first 5 songs had great advantage in points shows that afterall, the most "catchy" song wins. I usually think that performers on the end have advantage, but it seems that they don't.

And good lyrics don't make good song! I think that the melody is more important!

As for Turkey, i congratulate you!

See you next year! :)

7. Iago Gems: 24/31

Lol, I usually don't watch it anymore. But I learned as kid, that the points are given following this two rules, it's either:

We LOVE our neighbouring country.
    We HATE our neighbouring country.

I wouldn't call that "political". It is always, in my region, connected with which country had the best skiing successes lately, the success of the soccer teams of the neighbours and just principal distaste for the neighbouring country. Principal distaste. No special reason needed.

And the most famous incident, as suddenly thousands of Germans invaded our country, to make a phone call from Switzerland, to promote the German candidate. :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. Eze Gems: 24/31

Estonia gave Russia 12 points, cause half of our population is Russian and then you add all those Estonian Tatu fans.

I hate them. Being lesbian is okay, as long, as you don't flash it to everybody you see.

They can't even sing. :/

*walks off, singing Poland's Eurovision song*

9. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

BELGIUM SECOND!!! woohoo!!!

starts dancing

10. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

I'm from Germany, and I hate our candidate ! I would never make a phone call for her :mad:

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I can accept the political buttlicking. I can accept Turkey won. I can accept that T.a.t.u pretends they are lesbian (they both have boyfriends) to get male votes.

But I cannot understand how the Austrian song got any points at all. First anyone not tonedeaf, and especially those who spend time with music in any way, ought to notice that he constantly sang half a tone out of key; both too deep and too high. Secondly his dancing was appaling. And what was it with the pathetic heavy metal interlude? How could anyone appreciate that? and even bringing them near top 5? *shakes his head* The only reason I can see Austria get any points was cause people thought they were so wierd and hilarious to look at.

SOMETHING ELSE:

Are the french just stupid? Even the Germans use english to make the show run more fluently. The entire show is in english. Heck every darn country in europe is intelligent enough to accept a common language for the show. Are the french just arrogant or stupid? It has to be either. Which one is it? I am just curious. its ok to be too stupid to learn more languages. Or are they too arrogant. Why not just list all points in German, english, spanish, italian, turkish, Danish, Sweedish, Belgish, Dutch, Russian, greek and french each time? This it how it would be, if every country possessed the same arrogant mentality as the french. So stupid or arrogant?

This is the logic an unaware alien would apply if they visited earth for the first time, right?

[ May 25, 2003, 21:30: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

12. Iago Gems: 24/31

Lol, sorry, I wasn't clear about that. That was as Stefan Raab was at the Eurovision. And Switzerland gave him 12 points, while suffering under a traffic jam at the northern border.

I remember that incident very well. ;) :rolleyes: Because I was in a bar, which was suddenly packed with German Stefan Raab fans.

Ooops, I don't live at the east border, but it may be, that suddenly a lot of Austrians thought about a trip.

13. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

I understood the text the Austrian guy sang, he was terrible, also his dancing was terrible. But I wouldn't even care if the Austrian had won, but I live near the Austrian boarder, and they have the only good radiostation wich I can hear, and guess what they play all the time :mad:

14. Eze Gems: 24/31

HEY! Austria and Germany were both cool. Atleast I think so. Well, I liked Israel too. And POLAND. : ) *grins* Yes, I am in love with that song. Hehe.

And yes, the french are stupid.

*walks off, singing Poland's Eurovision song*

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The only one I really liked was the Belgian one. The whole show was so full of crappy, unimaginative songlets it was a real torture to endure. They should stop picking singers by their looks first and actually hear their singing before they sign them up for Eurovision.

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've never heard the Poland's one...

But since I don't really know what Eurovision is... Some football cup, right?

@Nobleman: agreed on the French. The Southern ones are however much more likely to be English-friendly than the Northern ones.

17. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@Nobleman - I agree, I just hate when the France does that. They do it everytime, on TV, on the internet on english boards and on the IRC when we all chatt like usual on an english channel a stooopid franceman comes in and wont talk english despite our warnings on both france and english that he must speak enlgish or get kick-banned. He didn't, so we did. :)

18. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@everybody: I hope that all this hate against french people is not a generical attitude, and that everyone around here is intelligent enough to judge persons one by one when they personally meet them ;)

Just one thing: I never heard of this show called "Eurovision", but since almost all of you seems to really dislike it, WHY do you still watch it????

19. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Wow! And I thought I was befuddled by soccer. :D

So, let me get this right: the different nations in Europe come up with a song and then sing it on t.v.? Then people vote? But you can't vote for your own nation?

You just pick any song you want? So, could you do something like cover the Beatles (assuming Michael Jackson says it is ok)? What do you get for winning?

Curiouser and curiouser.

20. Eze Gems: 24/31

If you win, you have to host the next Eurovision and you get some other stuff as well.

it's a bloody singing contest, you bozos. (Sorry, BTA)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.