1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Eureka, the answer to the BGII Arena dilemma

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by kingsgambit, Dec 25, 2001.

1. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

This post is my idea which just hit me a couple of days ago, and might be an answer to all those who've ever suggested or thought how good it might be for an "arena" of sorts to pit generated characters against each other. I would gratefully receive input on this, and could get started right away if there were any takers.
    So here goes...BGII has the multiplayer option already right? Okay, now if *I* hosted a game, and had two other people connect to me with *either* one OR two characters each (of their own creation OR even NPCs. We could have them *join* the party, then the host assigns control of them as required), we could find a suitable locale in Amn somewhere and let the contenders slug it out. I would play a MP game myself until chapter two, get a stronghold of sorts and then use Shadow Keeper to import every weapon and armour into the game. I dump these in strong hold chests and the two players each import one or two of their own characters of approximately equal level with *no* items.
    So characters come in with nothing but spellbooks, etc but no items. I can provide every potion, robe, ring, amulet, helm, girdle, weapon and armour in the game for the contenders to don after connecting. There will also be one slot left for a third person to come along to watch or witness.
    What do people think? I think this would achieve the arena effect. People can request locations to fight or a particular item in advance, players can view each other's stats to see that no cheating is going on and weapons are agreed on at the time. If someone brings in a God-like character they are asked to leave. I actually was quite excited because this would actually work, and fairly well. It wouldn't be a 6 vs. 6 fight, but still, one on one, two on two or even two against one for the braver ones amongst us! Anyone wanna take my mage on, bearing in mind he knows time stop and has a very big stick! ;)

[This message has been edited by kingsgambit (edited December 25, 2001).]

2. Lord Sarevok Guest

Yeah, you'd also have to use some kind of widely avalible server like Gamespy. Everyone would also have to have the same patch, and ToB players couldn't play with people who don't have it.

Other than that, rock on!

3. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] OH, OH... I think once inside the castle, people should be assigned places to go without the others' knowledge. That way everyone has a chance to surprise one another. Afterwhich, do it "Highlander" style. Once Battle is engaged, no one can step in. Of course, all of the items need to be protected in some way. Either by monster or trap. The power of the item is matches it's protection.

4. ArchAngel Guest

I can't target teammates with beneficial effects in combat without affecting all. And I can't cast hold person. The idea is still cool. Spellcasters just gets less effective.

The combat scene could be the entire de'Arnise castle. Kinda like the movie "big Guns" where the one who survives gets one million dollars. AFAIK

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm afraid I'll be dead meat before i enter the castle, if i knew how to log on (i'm not very intelligent when it comes to computers) but I'd like to try it!
    The problem with us, non-kinggambits, is that we don't know where what creatures are and what their loot is etc.

6. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31

My dear Master of Nuhn (thanks for the guestbook entry on my page BTW) I know *you* could do this. Under multiplayer, you have an option of which "protocol" to use. The whole Internet (on the large scale) uses TCP/IP. So I log on, Email, ICQ or MSN my IP address to the relevant people, and in BGII, you choose "Multiplayer" => "TCP/IP" => "Join Game" you type my IP address in and hey presto, you're logged in.
    I didn't think about that teammate effect spells might be rendered slightly worthless....but then don't most operate on vicinity anyway? For example haste and improved invisibility work on the caster, target, and teammates close to them.
    And good point about the expansion/patches. I guess that would need to be agreed on before to.
    I didn't think of letter people run loose...I saw a Kumite style boxing ring type thing...running loose is great though...gives archers and spellcasters a different tactic and adds surprise to the mix.
    If anyone wants to try I would gladly set this up...will take a little time but could work...two contestants with the same set ups...how about SoA, latest patch and NO ToB installed?

Lord Sarevok, Gamespy is a good idea but then you start getting lag and ping times and all that. If someone hosted the game and the "clients" simply joined directly....
    I like the starting off in differnt areas idea...adds shock value :) Any ideas for the best area? Nalia's Keep is one...I might throw in the Mage's stronghold, the sphere in the Slums. Possibly the open space of the Windspear hills? Or even the Copper Coronet might be amusing.

[This message has been edited by kingsgambit (edited December 25, 2001).]

7. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Sounds like a great idea, but it reduces the spellcaster's greatest advantage:
    Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
    :(
    A few ToB spells would be rendered useless as well, but they won't be mentioned. This would be a wonderful idea, though!

[Edit]I just thought of something: Maybe we could petition Bioware for something of the sort, maybe an optional PvP mode or something of the sort? Slim chance, but it would be pretty cool :D[/Edit]

[This message has been edited by AvaLance204 (edited December 26, 2001).]

8. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

guys....

try MageDuel

it's in the TeamBG section of this site, i have heard good things about it too.

;)

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

One of the most important things is the level you are at. Levels should be the same top keep it all a bit cool... Problem is with high level mages that they can cast protections so they cannot get hit while fighters cannot dispell the protections... I suppose in such occasion I would go for a fighter/mage

10. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Wanna make a bet you'll be overloaded with people who have 99999 hps? Ohw, and how will a thief set his traps? How can one become invisible to the other? The only time this works is when to fighters storm up to each other, and use the real man tactics, but some characters are just not made for those kind of things. You need a special program. Anyone know C++?

11. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31

Perhaps Mage Duel might be worth a look deano99...BTW it was me that sent you that Email bout all the mods. =)

I see this idea as working except for a few obvious things:
    - Hide in Shadows
    - Set Traps
    - Abi Dalzim + ToB spells not mentioned here

Also people can obviously always know where other players are on screen....may even have to be on the same screen....only really the boxing ring idea works. However there is still scope for archers, mages, clerics...hopefully noone has a druid or bard ;) (j/k)...plus combinations of weapons. If everyone arrives with no items it might be fun to see who goes for what items. And if anyone has a character with ridiculous stats or a mage with 20 level 9 spells, they'll be politely asked to leave, that simple. The whole point is that it would be fun to have a little tussle, and anyone who would feel the need to cheat should just stick to the single player game. My mage & Minsc are taking on all comers...seriously, if two people want to have a fun experiment with some of their SoA *only* characters, and have Email, ICQ or MSN, let me know.

12. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Boxing Ring?

Hmm, MONK FEST!

BTW, If you can make this work, count me in ;)

13. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think the previous post about anyone knowing C++ might be the way to go. High Level Mages could wipe out characters fairly quickly and a new mod would probably be the best way to approach the whole idea. As far as the cheating bit, I reccomend having a mediator that has everything maxed out and if someone cheats, the mediator puts the cheater in a coma state and the rest get to slowly torture the cheater.

For the most part, most people would want to try their favorite character/characters to see how they would fair without cheating. It's an integrity thing

14. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Cheating should be made impossible.
    All actions should be verified by the server program to see if they are valid.
    The whole problem with BG is that the clients do it all for themselves. you could install a regeneration cheat without anyone noticing because it is slow.

15. Sounds like a good idea. That overpowered mediator torturing cheaters..*grins evilly*

16. Alienboy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Use shadow keeper but not to cheat but to put items in monsters. I do this often. You can change experince they give and even how strong they are! You can have a weak dragon or a very, very strong cat. I'm in.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.