1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Eufloria Review

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Eldular, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

NOTE: This review was written by me and is posted on a few other sites. However, please refrain from copying it yourself and posting it elsewhere claiming to be the author (that's called copyright infringement) as it takes me time to review a game. Thank you.

-----

My experience with Indie (Independent) games is not too well developed as I have only tried two from this category; World of Goo and Cogs, both are very well made games so therefore I decided to give another Indie a try, this time I went for Eufloria (which was not review at the time I purchased it). I have to say that I was impressed, but also a bit let down.

Graphics:
    This game definitely deserved to be a finalist in the Vision Award given by Direct 2 Drive. It has a unique look that makes it stand apart from all other games in it’s genre. The soft colors, smooth animations, ambient music and sound effects all perfectly come together creating a well developed environment in-game, all this along with the simplicity of the game make it a very appealing palette to the eyes and ears. I can boldly state that you can take a screen shot of just about any part of this game and use it as your wallpaper, especially when you’re zoomed into a planet teeming with ‘seedlings’ and trees, it's just that beautiful.

Gameplay:
    Eufloria is an RTS (Real-Time Strategy) game set in space; it places you in charge of a colony of seedlings (flying flowers that also act as seeds) where you must conquer asteroid after asteroid (which really just look like small and big planets) while conquering other colonies. Eufloria is more of a slow RTS with some Risk similarities than your typical RTS where-in you must rush to build and get units. The actual gameplay is quite simple; you have a few selections of trees (which are your unit-building-facilities) and a nominal variety of seedlings which vary depending on the type of asteroid you’re ‘growing’ your trees on. Gameplay can be a bit repetitive but I found it to be entertaining nonetheless since each level is a bit different with it’s goals and the layout always changes every time you play a level. That brings me to another point, the storyline.

Storyline:
    I actually liked the storyline, it was simple but blended well with the aesthetics and theme of the game. Nothing mind-blowing or even as good as the World of Goo storyline, but acceptable (especially since we’re talking about an Indie game).

Dislikes:
    When you first click on the campaign you are shown and are given the ability to play all 25 levels (all unlocked), I would prefer for the levels to be locked until the appropriate progress is made, I have to scroll all the way to the left to finally reach the first levels, which is annoying to be thruthful. Also, I was let down by the lack of ANY upgrades. It is a simple game but there was definatly a lot of ground that could have been covered.

Summary:
    Overall, I was impressed by this game as I did not expect as much from it (especially the gameply aspect) and would recommend this game to anyone looking for a fun and beautiful – yet simple – game to play. Word of warning though: this game is slow and probably not for a hardcore gamer.

-----

Feel free to reply with your comments, suggestions, and disagreements!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.