1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

EU-Presidency. Helter-Skelter.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Iago, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Berlusconi

Well, I guess it's going to be a scandal-ridden time, the next 6 months. What do you think ?

Press
    Number 1

2. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

From what I've read in those articles Berlusconi does seem to be a controversial character but I'm sure that anyone who was taking over the EU Presidency would come under attack from his enemies. The Nazi comment does seem a bit much and you would expect a man in his position to have a bit more intelligence than that - what did he expect the reaction to be?

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Silvio is a highly interesting character. The man is a pure mobster in my reckoning and the power he wields in Italy is near dictatorical in its scope. The man personally owns the largest media companies and as head of government controls the state TV. Spooky. Not to mention that he also owns one of the most popular football teams in Italy.
    I rejoiced when I heard that comment he made in the meeting, atleast he doesnt hides his colours.

The sheer amount of lawsuits hanging over him is enough to make one wonder, and most of them cant even be accused of being politically motivated. There is a bunch from the 80's, long before he got into politics. Many believe that the main reason that he did get into politics was so he would be able to evade being thrown in jail.

Let this be a reminder that even thought we Euros like to whine and trash the US we have our fair share as well. The main difference is that our doesnt tend to wield as much power so they are not as interesting topics of conversation.

4. Malaqai Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

As a FIRM believer in the natural course of Europe's evolution (it's unification), I think Berlusconi must be removed from Power. Nothing must separate us europeans or stand in the way of an EU country.

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Why ? I don't see that many advantages in a united Europe. I still think it's gonna be a faillure sooner or later, and i won't have any trouble sleeping when it does. They wanna turn this into some creation in the image of the US. Well, it won't work here, period. Too many differences, cultures, and some countries simply don't like eachothers guts. And THAT'S supposed to be become an economic superpower ? I think hell freezes over first.

6. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

BBC
    Hm, that was more than a storm in a wasserglass here. Changing the law and making it impossible to give evidence over to the Italians which assures aquital. (SP ?) :bang: :bang: :bang:

7. Malaqai Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@Pac man

The scots were a loosely connected collection of tribes, weak individually, but when they connected and unified----led by a worthy leader (William Wallace)-----they presented a respectable force. Like Elrond said: you will unite or you will fall. Applies perfectly to the sacred homeland of Europe.

The difference of our cultures is not an obstacle. Look at the US or Australia. So many cultures, nations.....what is to stop Europe. We are all one European nation. I love every European nation for each and every one of them has given a lot to the European way of life (in the form of art, science, ideas, philosophy, inventions...)

About the gut-hating issue. If I can (in the interest of an united Europe), and I am a Croat, forgive the Serbs for invading my country so can anyone else. WW2 was long ago. A new era has dawned. Europe's honor is at stake.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Silvio Berlusconi as a political figure has assets way superior to, let's say, George Bush or Vladimir Putin. Cum grano salis you can say: Where Putin has to deal with his oligarchs and Bush has to compromise with giants like Murdock to *rent* the public opinion in his country, Berlusconi *owns* it. That's quite a powerful position.

Berlusconi for sure is much more a mobster than any other politician in the west. The immunity law for Berlusconi came really right in time and is remarkably handy for him. Who knows, maybe he'll one day be King of Italy? He neither lacks assets nor ambition.

[ July 03, 2003, 14:52: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

9. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

@ Malaqai

Maybe you have forgiven the Serbs, but 90% of your countrymen haven't. I had a lot of Yugoslavian friends in the town i used to live in, and they were Serbs, Croats, and a few Macedonians, and when the war in Bosnia started the whole group fell apart, just like that. Like if they were never friends. It's THAT easy.

And you can't compare Europe with the US and Australia. People who emigrated there shared a common thing. They were either on the run, or looking for adventure and start a new life in a new world. It's totally different in Europe. The hate among the people of former Yugoslavia wasn't born in the Bosnian war, it was slumbering for a long time. It was a timebomb, waiting to get set off. Another example is Greece and Turkey. They never were too fond of eachother, and i think they never will. The French and English weren't just rivals in the past, they were at war with eachother for centuries, and now they're expected to work together, like nothing ever happened ?

I don't think humans are that easy to change. The Scottish clansmen might have been willing to put their differences aside, but at least they had something incommon... they were ALL Scottish. The average Dutchie will never accept a german as his fellow countryman, and it's probably vice versa. The Belgians feel thre same way about the Dutch. The Portugese about the Spanish, and so on, and on, and on, and on....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.