1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Essentials

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Master of Nuhn, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When you want to learn about a new music genre, you can't do without its essentials. So, name a genre, and some of the songs that you should immediately think off. Try to keep the genres small. "Metal", "dance" or "pop" is probably far too large. Narrow them down to Death Metal, for instance, or 60s pop and 90s Euro-dance.

Here's a genre I learned to love: Bossa Nova, mix of samba and smooth jazz.

Most important name in Bossa Nova is Antonio (Tom) Carlos Jobim, and Joao Gilberto, who often sang Jobim's creations. Best known is probably Astrud Gilberto's English version of Tom Jobim's classic.

Tom Jobim - The Girl from Ipanema (Garota de Ipanema)

Tom Jobim - Wave (Vou te contar), sung by Joao Gilberto, agian. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I was never convinced of the whole genre concept, personally. I mean, yeah, classical is different from rock and roll, but all the subgenres kind of strike me as artificial distinctions, and I think some 'insiders' (not you, MoN :) ) like to use them to keep outsiders out. e.g., if I have no real idea of what 'electroclash electronic synth pop' really is, I probably will be a bit of an outcast in the club. ;)

I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything, it's just that social groups are always trying to identify and repel outsiders whether they realize it or not. I also know this is not helpful to your thread MoN - just thought I'd share anyway. :D

Harbourboy likes this.
  3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I always have difficulty putting different music into genres. Usually I just look it up on Wikipedia if for some reason I need or want to know. And even when I just look to Wikipedia and ignore different people having different ideas about the same thing, it's still confusing sometimes.

Like how Rammstein is considered industrial metal, which is ok with me. But then they say that KMFDM and Powerman 5000 are also considered industrial metal, even though their sound is totally different than Rammstein to me.

On the other hand, black metal is easier to me, because I just think of Dimmu Borgir when I think of black metal. Or perhaps it's easier because I don't know that many black metal bands.

And when I think of death metal, I tend to think of Hypocrisy, but a look at Wikipedia shows me that Hatebreed and Sepultura are for instance also considered death metal, when I always thought of them more as heavy metal. And when I look up heavy metal, I find AC/DC for instance, which I always consider more like hardrock.

And then something like Chimaira is considered metalcore, which I hadn't even heard of until I just looked it up. I my mind-database it just got filed under heavy-metal-type-music.

These divisions just confuse the hell out of me.

Also, Mo'N, power to you for being able to listen to this type of music. For me, this falls into the category of music that I just cannot listen to for any period of time, like André Hazes and Frans Bauer ;) It's slightly more tolerable than their music, but - to me - not much more.

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is kind of :yot: but I just realized by watching those videos that Portuguese is close enough to Spanish that I can understand a lot of it. It's weird though, listening to something that you almost understand. Maybe a little frustrating :p.

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't bother. I share that thought, to some extend. And it's partly why I came up with the thread, to find out where other people make differences where I would not. ;)

See, I'm more interested in "easily listening music", so I might make differences in that genre and divide them into Triphop and Lounge, to name two. And death/black/white/trash/power/whatever metal is all the same to me, I guess. Also, I like some old "club" (like The Buckethead's The Bomb), but calling some of that "Ayia Napa" is really stretching it.

My best friend is a dj. He doesn't like labeling too much, but it makes searching for a certain sound easier.

Wow! You really don't like what I posted. :lol: At least we have something in common: We don't like andre, frans and dries. :p

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Similarly, triphop, drum 'n bass and such sound fairly similar to me. It's only natural, really. And if you'd say you didn't hear the difference between Napalm Death and Sepultura, I'd totally understand.

By the way, watching a fairly recent videoclip of Napalm Death is pure gold. Four middle aged men totally rocking out to something that barely sounds like music (even to me):

:D

In the interest of the thread, this is apparently considered grindcore. Their lyrics tend to cover political issues (which they do have in common with Sepultura, actually).

Some of their music is apparently also considered to be closer to death metal:

For the record, the clip below is what I think of when I think of death metal (Hypocrisy with Carved Up). It's not just the music that makes me think of it as death metal - their lyrics support that idea as well. Which is to say, if anyone ever says that he agrees with their lyrics, it's time to call the asylum. Me, I'm glad I don't understand what they're saying for the most part. Despite this, this song never fails to make me smile - so awesome and energetic :)

And the clip below is what I think of when I think of heavy metal (although wikipedia lists it as being death metal too) (Hatebreed - Destroy Everything). Despite the name of the band and the title of the song, their lyrics are actually quite positive. One of the very few bands that I know that make this kind of music and have lyrics about having a more positive attitude towards things. And in total opposition of the above mentioned Hypocrisy.

I like to think that a lot of people have that in common. Although not enough, I guess ;)

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In the sub-genre of botanical progressive rock, it has to be The Trees by Rush. :p

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm with Gaear. Even after I read the descriptions of the genres, I can't tell what they mean. This even goes for the major genres. I've never figured out an adequate explanation for who gets to be on the Country charts or the RnB charts.

Has anyone ever looked at the genres they use on Freegal? There are hundreds of them. So many that browsing for artists by genre becomes nonsensical.

So, back on topic: 60s rock: The Beatles.

9. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Here is a few of many I could think of. I tried to include a few lesser known band, probably failing badly though. More later, maybe.

Anything by Bauhaus really, gothic rock pioneers.

Somewhat strange medieval/neo-medieval metal music weirdness. This song is pretty normal though.

Electro classic.

Probably their best known song. Pub Rock greatness.

Celtic/Folk stuff, basically anything by Loreena McKennitt is awesome and you should listen to it.

Some power metal for the last one. De Boni has a great voice (and she is back with the band again nowadays!).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.