1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Espresso at home

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Earl Grey, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Do you have an espresso machine at home? If so which machine? What about a grinder? Perhaps you even roast at home? Which beans do you use?
    Maybe you use a mochapot or a french press instead?

I've had my Gaggia Evolution espresso machine since August and will get a Rancilio Rocky grinder in a week or so. In the meantime I've been using Illy and Lavazza pre-ground. The coffeegeek warnings sure seem to have been true: you can't make a good espresso without a decent grinder. :cool:

So are there any coffeelovers among us? By the way, I still love my tea! :D

2. notforyou Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

seems like coffee and tea are the hottest topics in whatnots these days ... I don't have a machine at home, I'm already addicted to too many things.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I only have a regular coffee machine and bean grinder. I like cappuccino and espresso, but I don't have the equipment for them. I prefer my coffee strong, which drives everyone at work nuts when I make a pot, since I only use about 3/4 of the amount of water they think I should. :D

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    3/4 normal amount of water? You wuss :D

I have a pressure coffee machine. It has two tips so you could make two cups at one time, but I do I need to I say I only put one cup down there and catch both streams? Of course, putting as much coffee powder in as possible? :D And there's that funny tip that blows air in your cream or milk and makes it foam.

I love the sound of my coffee machine at work. It helps me wake up... :D

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, you have to realise that, in our office, the "normal" is 1 part coffee, 1 part water. :p :D

Edit: and for this piece of spam, I get a new gem. :rolleyes:

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm not much of a coffee drinker...I prefer a nice mug of Assam with a little cream and demerara sugar. Good Stuff! I first tried it in Scotland and now I'm hooked!

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I have a Francis! Francis! espresso maker, as well as a mochapot (used to have a french press but it broke).

Of course I catch both streams in one shotglass. I prefer espresso straight or with a touch of hot water (Americano) ... my wife likes the milky drinks, Breve's especially.

We've been making our coffee at home for 3-4 years like this, and while the machine was a bit expensive, we've saved hundreds that would have been spent at Starbucks.

8. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I have more of a pressurized coffee maker than an expresso machine. But whatever gets the caffine to you will get the caffine to you.

9. chevalier

Media:
    Excused :p ;)

10. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Coffee!? BAH! Coke any day :D

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    We have an Estro (now part of Saeco - go Mario!) espresso maker, a KitchenAid 12-cup drip coffeemaker with a gold filter (I like the texture of a little fine grounds in the bottom of my cup), and a single-serving French press. I can't remember the make of my grinder but it's a burr-style instead of bladed, and has many different settings.

BTW, the steaming wand on the espresso maker is great for making hot chocolate, too.

12. chevalier

Media:
    Very right. My sister used to bug me every time I was making coffee ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.