1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Equality laws gone crazy

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Mar 15, 2010.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    So I see this article and all I can think of is these people must be crazy. Is this just internet craziness, or is there an actual possibility that this becomes a law?

Gym staff who issue advice to women could be prosecuted under equality laws

Gym staff could be prosecuted for warning a woman not to lift heavy weights under equality legislation being championed by Harriet Harman.

By Melissa Kite, Deputy political editor
    Published: 9:00PM GMT 13 Mar 2010

Gym staff could be prosecuted for warning a woman not to lift heavy weights under equality legislation

Insinuating that a woman is not as strong as a man will be "unlawful sex discrimination", under the terms of the forthcoming Equality Bill.

A code of practice explaining the legal implications of the Bill, which is currently going through Parliament, states that being a woman is "a protected characteristic".

The code, drawn up by the Equality and Human Rights Commission, explains ways in which women might be unfairly stereotyped and defines behaviours that will in future be seen as discrimination.

It includes a long list of examples of "unintentional less favourable treatment" including what might happen to a woman when she joins a gym and begins lifting weights.

It states: "A general stereotype about men and women is that in terms of physique, most men are stronger than most women. Nevertheless it is likely to be unlawful sex discrimination for a gym to test every woman's strength but not every man's before allowing them access to weightlifting facilities."

The code makes clear that it will not be seen as an excuse if the motive of the gym staff is to help a woman or save her from injury.

"It does not matter what the service provider's intentions are or whether the service provider's less favourable treatment of the person is conscious or unconscious.

"The service provider may even think that they are doing the person a favour, or simply be unaware that they are treating the person differently because of a protected characteristic."

The Bill, championed by Ms Harman, the Equalities Minister, has already courted much controversy and attracted the criticism of the Pope when it proposed that churches would be prosecuted for refusing to employ gay people.

The legislation also provides protection under the law from discrimination for "any religious belief or philosophical belief" and even "a lack of belief".

Last week it emerged that vegans would be protected, along with members of cults and "new religions" such as Scientology.

Advertisements giving preferential treatment to men or women could also be illegal, meaning the end of "ladies' nights" at clubs, when women receive cut-price drinks or free entrance but men pay full price.

People for whom abstention from alcohol was a way of life would be given new rights to protect them from discrimination.

The Bill will give more scope too for the prosecution of shopkeepers and club owners who refuse to allow entry to certain types of people.

It says that shopkeepers who refuse entry to black teenagers, for example, after stories in the local press about thefts in the area by black teenagers will be prosecuted for race discrimination.

The Bill also creates a new offence of discrimination by association. The code states that if a nightclub refused entry to three Polish people and an English man, the English man could claim he has suffered racial discrimination by association.

If a boy is refused membership of his local football club and his parents are two lesbian women, he could claim "unlawful direct discrimination by association because of sexual orientation".

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The article goes too far IMO. The title/lead in doesn't seem legitimate even if this new law is enacted. The example of a gym not being able to implement a policy that discriminates was given i.e. a gym cannot require women and not men to undergo a test before they can use the facilities they paid for, not individual advice/warnings.

In general, I'm of two minds about equality laws.

I certainly agree that anything provided by the government should be equal opportunity; after all everyone pays for it.

Private businesses are different IMO, and unless they are sole providers of necessary goods/services in the nearby area I think they should be allowed to discriminate in any way they want. But I also don't like discrimination for no good reason.

What I really don't like are equality laws being used as a bludgeon to force proprietors to do something they wouldn't otherwise. For example the eHarmony nonsense where they were forced to cater to gay individuals when the site was intended for hetero matching. I don't really like that some places are forced to spend thousands of dollars to retrofit to allow better access to disabled individuals; if the proprietor doesn't think the added disabled traffic would be worth the expense, why should they have to (again assuming they're not a sole provider of necessary goods/services nearby)?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  3. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

This is exactly why the UK is nuts.

I especially love this part:
    So you cant prevent them from injuring themselves, and let me guess, when that happens, you are responsible.

So I couldnt warn a woman that she could injure herself, and when she does its my fault. Great.

Also... sorry but men are physically stronger. I doubt there is a biologist alive who would disagree with this, even if some specific exceptions (ie female body builders) can be found.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's a silly law that can be easily circumvented, and exploited.

To use the gym example, you could actually be a prick about it and give women LESS access to the weights. You just implement a rule along the following guidelines: In order to access the free weights, you must be able to bench press at least 135 pounds. (That's the weight of a standard Olympic bar, with a plate on each side.) Most men, even with minimal strength training can do that. Most women, even with strength training, cannot. The same rule applies regardless of gender, so no special treatment. Sorry ma'am, I understand that you are 5 feet tall and weigh 95 pounds soaking wet, but it looks like you'll be relegated to the Nautalis equipment during your time at the gym.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think it is the outrage that is kinda crazy. I just read your spoiler Snook but as I understand it a gym should not be allowed to require women to do something men do not have to do. Basically, a man and a woman of equal stature and strength would need to go through the same tests to use the equipment. I have seen some big women in my days and plenty of tiny skinny dudes. The safety rules should be about whether you are strong enough to handle a weight or a machine, not whether you are a man or a woman. That is how I read the excerpt from the article and even though I may think it is a bit silly to legislate about something like that I do not find it exceedingly crazy.

Now if it really was about a law that banned instructors from warning women to use equipment they lack the strength to control you would have a point but that is not how I read it.

6. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Just another step in the campaign of woman to subjugate man ... take away his discretion and still hold him accountable while grinding him under your foot. :kneel:

(just kidding) ;)

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Hysteria. Such a case will never make it to court.

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] One of the reasons my mother quit going to the gym were the comments from staff about how she shouldn't push herself and the guys mocked her when she went to do weight training.

So I can see where the point is coming from :p

A lot of the 'student towns' do womens nights and cheaper drinks for women on certain days of the week, it seems only fair their should be an opportunity for men to get the same treatment.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I went to a spa with my wife before we were married. It was fun to watch the men drop their jaws at the amount she lifts. She even had a guy come up and offer to train her for competition.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Everyone has reasons for what they do, and not all of those reasons are DISCRIMINATION or SEXISM or HATE or whatever hysterical horsecrap the rights brigade wants to yammer at us. If such a law passes it'll be another example of the Big Brother state engaging in an unbelievable level of control over the actions of its citizens. It's stupid, it's micromanaging via intrusive legislation, it's just plain wrong on a million fronts.

I'm sure that there are other ways of addressing any real problems that exist at health clubs.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I say all women under 140 lbs must wear bikinis when frequenting a health club. Those over 140 must wear full-length, loose sweat suits unless voted upon by the nation of Man. :p

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Spandex should be outlawed for sized larger than medium.

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Spandex should just be outlawed!

14. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Them women can be deviously deceptive in how strong they are in reality. :p

My ex from several years ago would be a good example. Barely 150 cm and 50 kg (5 feet and 110 lbs for the metric impaired amongst us) but had no problems in lifting stuff that I could barely budge. Then again, she worked as a gardener and regularly carried ginormous sacks of dirt and fertilizer around, with the occasional vandal-proof stand-alone ashtrays weighing upwards of 200 kg thrown in for good measure.

Another one I met was during my military training. A small, pretty girl on the outside, but after a snide remark from the drill sergeant she picked up the biggest guy around on her shoulders and carried *him* through an obstacle course. Later on we found out that she's into hardcore hiking trips, with the 40+ kg backpacks and all.

Not to mention my dear sister. Wears size XS or sometimes S, but has several times the strength I have, especially on her legs. But I guess being a horseriding fanatic that also owns half a dozen of them and takes care of them all by herself has something to do with it..!

So, if such laws are to be passed, prepare for some... unexpected consequences. ;)

15. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    True, but exceptions do not disprove the rule. Is there any doubt that if you had 100 random men and women bench press 135 pounds that the total number of repetitions the men would do would be greater then the amount the women woud do? I have no doubt.

A women being sneered at by a man at a gym is more of a reflection that he is an ******* as opposed to a blanket claim of discrimination. I know at my gym, most of the guys trip over themselves to help the women out.

16. Sir Rechet

I'm fully aware that those examples are exceptions. However, my point was that on the first outlook, NONE of them seemed all that strong. Quite the contrary, in fact. A guy with such strength would rather invariably seem at least beefy, if not outright muscular.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I guess my main problem with the law is I doubt most gyms were not actively trying to prevent women from using the weights. I don't have any evidence of this, but I assume the reason why they were asking women to avoid lifting heavy weights was so that there would be less injuries. I imagine that a club could potentially get sued if someone hurt themselves and the staff didn't at least provide some level of warning. Sure, guys can get hurt too, but what an acceptable starting amount of weight is for a guy compared to a woman is significantly different in the vast majority of cases.

18. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Harriet Harman is a nutcase anyway. Ignore her and her dumb rules and she'll eventually curl up and die

Or is that wishful thinking?

19. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I don't know too much about UK politics, but I'm guessing that's wishful thinking, Silvery. Remember, all stupidity needs to prosper is for smart people not to work their tails off holding it at bay. Stupidity is much more insideous than evil, you see.

The Great Snook likes this.
  20. Sir Rechet

Amen to that, NOG.

(Pun intended.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.