1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Epic Ranger Builds

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by DrowLicious, Apr 26, 2004.

1. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] What are some good combinations of classes to make an ultimate, yet diverse ranger? I want to continue to have him weld dual scimitars along with the longbow. When (if?) should i switch to Arcane Archer? The multiclassing and prestige classes in NWN seem so much more satisfying in past D&D pc games that i want to take full advantage of them. Also, considering i will lead the character all the way to the end of HotU, i want to make sure i don't make some stupid choice to taint my idea of what i want my elven ranger to represent. Thanks

2. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you want to go with an Arcane Archer / Ranger / Wizard, I'd start up the AA class ASAP. If you're planning this character for the HotU OC, you might want to consider starting with Ranger 6 / Wizard 1 / Arcane Archer 8. Take your next 2 levels as an Archer, then go back to Ranger levels until level 20. Then take at least one more level of Archer.

The OC will take you to 26-28, so you could end up with something like Rgr 14-16 / Wiz 1 / AA 11 or Rgr 9 / Wiz 1 / AA 16-18. I'd aim for the latter for the additional bonuses to the arrow damage and an additional epic feat or two.

3. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I'm not so sure you wouldn't have a more powerful Elven Ranger Character by leaving out the Arcane Archer levels and the Wizard level required to take it. Never been too impressed with the AA.

Tough to work around some good multi-classes without incurring XP penalties, but I think that it might be interesting to see a Ranger multiclassed with a Weapons Master and a Champion of Torm...could be a very potent character.

Maybe I'll think more on this build and post with a more detailed analysis.

4. BigStick Gems: 13/31

Agreed, that combo would make for a great melee character. Dual-wielding keen scimitars as a Weapon Master with the additional feats added in by the Champion of Torm would be scary to face.

The stats could be tough to come by though. Have to have at least 13 in DEX and INT, will need high STR for the epic crit feats, will need a CHA score of at least 12 to get any benefit from some of the CoT abilities and finally, if you want to be able to cast any ranger spells, you'll need a WIS of 12-14. That leaves just CON, and what melee character would want to be without a high CON? So maybe something like this to start: STR 15, DEX 13, CON 12, INT 13, WIS 12, CHA 12 (elf racial bonuses accounted for). Starting the OC at level 15 would allow your starting STR to be upped to 18. Giving up the ranger spells or the CoT CHA-based abilities would allow the character to concentrate in one over the other.

It's an awful lot to try to fit into one character. :cool:

5. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31

I too, thought about going the Ranger/ Weapon Master. I would maybe leave out the CoT class just because its not what i envision in my ranger's personality and style. Okay let's say i'm going with Ranger/ Weapons Master route. What the best way to go into that? Right now i'm a Ranger level 3 hangin' out with Linu (nothing like a female elf with a slight british accent).

6. Hacken Slash

Which feats have you taken and what are your Attribute scores?

Gotta love those female elves with good diction, huh.

I had figured out a build using Ranger/COT/WM...but I'll rework it without COT. COT was nice because it pulls in extra feats, which help you reach WM a little faster. Also, I've never really considered Ranger to be very useful once you got your Improved Two Weapon fighting at level 9 or maybe the 3rd favored enemy at level 10...it just screams "multi-class me"

7. BigStick Gems: 13/31

You've got to have 6 feats to qualify for Weapon Master: Weapon Focus in a melee weapon (scimitar for you), Dodge, Mobility, Expertise, Spring Attack and Whirlwind.

That means that as a straight elven Ranger, you'll have to wait until level 16 to take that prestige class. If you mix in some fighter levels, you could get the required feats at Ranger 3 / Fighter 4, unless you've taken a feat that's not on the list already. You'd have to swallow the 20% XP penalty for a level as well.

Overall, I'd have to say that the Arcane Archer route would be preferable to me as it's much easier to qualify for.

FYI - The two expansion campaigns are set up to allow you to take your character from SoU to HotU, but the original OC is not set up with that in mind. You can skip the SoU OC and go right into HotU if you want, though.

[ April 27, 2004, 15:57: Message edited by: BigStick ]

8. Hacken Slash

That's why I suggested Champion of Torm...you get the bonus feats of a Fighter...so you can go Weapons Master at level 12, neat Class Abilities, and No Experience Point penalty since it's another prestige class.

Basically, Naug, you would take 7 levels of Ranger, 4 levels of COT, and then weapons master.

Don't forget also to get 4 ranks in Intimidate, which is a cross-class skill for all of the above players.

Weapons Master is a hard road to follow. As Bigstick already said...straight up you'll need 15 levels of Ranger to meet WM requirements!

Why not try a human Ranger/Bard/RDD...it would kick a$$ ;)

9. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] Thanks for the suggestions guys. Once again, your knowledge is greatly appreciated. I'm gonna paste this thread onto notepad for future reference. I'm glad to be involved in a gaming community with so much support. I think i will go with the Ranger/CoT/WM route. I messed around with the dm_levelup in the console and it should work out.

[ April 28, 2004, 02:34: Message edited by: Naug ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.