1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Entropy

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Uytuun, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I know that there are a couple of people here that know a lot about physics and the like and I was wondering whether you could explain the principle of entropy to me. Please keep it simple. ;) I'm wondring because there is a sentence in in the novel I'm analysing that says "Is this the entropy written within our nature?" and although I intuitively understand what it means, I wanted to know more precisely.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    In literature, entropy is often used as a synonym for chaos or disorder in the most general sense. But it's a word with such a broad scope of different meanings depending on the context that it's nearly impossible to guess what exactly it was meant to denote when taken out of context.

3. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    Yes, that's true, Tal. In the context of this particular novel, it refers to the fact that we (mankind) consume ourselves...that what we need to survive will also be the doom of us etc... At least in my opinion. ;)

But it's really the physics thing I'm interested in.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  5. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    Yeah, I know. :p

That's why I thought perhaps people here could tell me in a simpler way. Pretty please? :D

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    If you want the short(er) version, entropy is a measure of probability or disorder. A low-entropy system is a system that is ordered or has low probability and a high-entropy system is unordered and has high probability. In nature, entropy tends to rise, meaning that the universe moves toward disorder.

Example: If you have a room where one half is filled with oxygen and the other is filled with nitrogen, the two gases will mix so you end up with the entire room being filled with a mixture. The reverse process - sorting oxygen and nitrogen - won't happen automatically but takes energy.

A similar example is that if you mix ice and boiling water, you end up with lukewarm water. A glass of lukewarm water doesn't automatically turn into half ice and half steam.

The equalization of extremes can release energy but it takes even more energy to recreate the extremes, which is why the universe tends towards disorder - creating disorder in one place can't create a similar amount of order in another place (or in other words, you can't build a perpetuum mobile).

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Another example would be something like:

If you have a closed container filled with oxygen at 0 degrees (C), it has low-entropy because they gas molecules aren't moving really quickly and bouncing into each other and the walls of the container crazily. If you heat the container up to 100 degrees (C), it will have high-entropy because the particles are very chaotically slamming into each other and the walls. (Note, the temperatures are not very accurate, just examples)

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Here are some down-to-earth examples:

Have you ever tried sorting several loops of cables, extension cords, and ropes into a small drawer? You could wind them up neatly, and stack them in an orderly fashion, but somehow they always seem to tangle up after several uses. Finally, when you go to grab one a few months later, you get pissed and decide to take them all out and separate each one laboriously. As a physics prof once told me, wires and cables always find a way to become maximally entangled. That's entropy - a tendency for things to become disordered.

A thermodynamics prof once demonstrated this to us. Consider a chain of paper clips, linked to each other and stretched in a straight line. That is a state of low entropy because each paper clip is ordered one after another. Then he adds energy to the system by simply tapping the surface on which the clips laid. The result was, the clips started to curl in upon itself. As he bangs the table harder, the clips even overlap and turn into a cluster of clips. The paper clips have re-positioned into a state of higher entropy since they are jumbled together. Hence the system tends towards a state with higher entropy.

jaded empath likes this.
  9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here is a little bit easy to read.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, that was crystal clear mate that was

11. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

I think Blog did a WONDERFUL job with two clear, easy-to-apply-to-everyday-life examples.
    :thumb:

12. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    Thank you all. :) I'm just a little bit confused about the role of energy in the process...

13. Stu Gems: 20/31

Well if you think back to Montresor's ice and boiling water example, the ice is highly structured (the molecules are arranged in uniform crystals) and has a low amount of energy (ie it has low entropy). The boiling water and steam however are very unstructured, the molecules are very disorganized and are jumping around everywhere; it has high energy and entropy. Since the system:
    a) cannot loose or gain any energy (1st law of thermodynamics)
    b) tend to become more disorganised/chaotic (2nd law of thermodynamics)
    the ice and the boiling water will mix together and instead of having 1/2 of the cup being filled with a very cold, low energy substance (ice) and the other 1/2 with a very hot, high energy substance (boiling water/steam), you end up with a cup full of luke warm water with no one half being hotter or cooler than another.

Another example would be that a mug of hot coffee will not stay in its high energy (hot state) instead it will warm the room until the coffee and the room become the same energy. The system moves from more organized distinct hot(high energy)/cold(low energy) areas to less organized uniform temperature systems.

I can't remember which game it was, but I once found a sword called entropy - I guess the reason behind its name is that it causes highly structured, low entropy beings to become less structured (by ripping them to shreds), and kind of evens out the entropy of the room the being is in.

I had a (creationist)teacher that once said that this was contradictory with evolution - ie evolution involves the less structured organisms becoming more structured and complex, while the laws of entropy and thermodynamics state that things should tend towards disorder.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  14. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    This would be true if the Earth was an isolated system. I had a (non-creationist:)) teacher who explained this to us: The Earth receives high-energy radiation from the Sun and in return emits low-energy radiation to space. The total system (Sun+Earth+surrounding space) gains a lot of entropy in the process and in this process some order (in the form of life) may appear.

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hello, my name is Entropy. :p :rolling:

16. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Gah I hate scientific definitions like the one Kitrax quoted. That means so little to me. Way to make fun of it :)

Haerdalis had a short sword called Entropy, but it only poisons or drains two dexterity or something.

About the mug of coffee in a room, I don't think that's a contradiction. If you think of the mug by itself, then it's not a closed system since it's losing energy, so that's ok. If you think of the mug and the room, then heating the room transfers energy to the air particles, causing them to have more entropy. So even though the mug is losing entropy, the room gains more, so the entire system increases in entropy. That's how I would explain it... but don't ask me to do the math!

17. Stu Gems: 20/31

Ah - sorry I didn't mean for the mug to be a contradiction, I'll reorganize my paragraphs a bit (it was all a bit randomly pieced together when I wrote it). What I was mainly getting at was that, while the system doesn't loose any energy, it gets reorganized in an overall less organized way.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.