1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Enemy BAB Above +52 in HOF

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by SPM, Jun 29, 2022.

1. SPM Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've read that although 72AC makes you only hittable on a roll of 20, there are some enemies in HOF that have BABs higher than +52. For example, I read in one post here a while ago that there's a half-dragon near the entrance to the Fields of Slaughter with a BAB of +68. I'm just curious, how many enemies of any type in HOF have a BAB higher than +52, and what BAB do they have instead?

Also, the search function isn't working like it should for me, it just shows me 10 pages of posts from the most recent threads no matter what I search for.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What search term are you using?

3. SPM Gems: 1/31

I tried BAB and HOF, and I specified that only the Icewind Dale 2 forum should be searched. The results were a bunch of individual posts from newer threads like Bottomless Bag, More IWD2 spell discussion, etc. Neither "BAB" or "HOF" seemed to even be in any of these posts.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    They are, if you look at the results they will be bolded in words there as long as they appear in the first couple of sentences. The problem is, the search results show a hit for any word with "bab" or "hof" in it, even when using quotes. For short 2 or 3 letter words that aren't unique, you'll rarely get a good selection of search results. The default fulltext search we're using is not configurable in any way on the forum level, it would need to be modified on the server level.

Your best bet in situations when the forum search doesn't return satisfactory results is this kind of Google site search:

"your phrase" site:sorcerers.net/community

5. SPM Gems: 1/31

Okay, thanks

6. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering about your own curiosity with respect to BAB.

It becomes an academic point in HoF where you're always going to get hit no matter what your AC.

7. SPM Gems: 1/31

I've been looking through guides and posts, reading about HOF, and what I keep seeing is that although 72AC is considered an ideal to strive for, there are still a few enemies with BAB above +52 that will hit you on rolls other than 20 even if you have 72AC. So I wondered what AC would make it so that literally everything in the game can only hit you on a roll of 20.

8. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

That magic 72 AC figure to strive for comes pretty much entirely from the Death Knights of Xvim having +52 attack bonus in HOF mode. They're plentiful and they hit like a literal truck, ignoring Stoneskin and similar damage protections to boot.

There's a handful of monsters that have better attack bonus, but they are rare enough to be focused down by other means.
    - The two chimeras you meet outside the Severed hand sport have at least one attack type in the 60+ or even 70+ bonus range.
    - The olive slimes on the lowest level of Dragon's Eye seem to be bugged and/or get bonuses to negate some or all types of AC bonus you can have. I've seen these buggers hit at +107 attack bonus or so. I've learned to not try tanking them but rather drawing them out in the open.

However, I haven't seen any named "boss" monsters hitting at above +52 attack bonus as these would be the usual suspects to check for.

9. Jamesworkshop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

doesn't feel like it matters much, the highest after 72 i remember is 74 ac so you couldn't make an AC to match the other stuff realistically anyway

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.