1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Elven Surnames

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ilmater's Suffering, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

how does D+D do this? Are elven surnames done the same as Tolkien elvish surnames or does it have a different way of generating surnames? What is the significant of an elven surname? Lineage? Discription of birth place? An attribute discription?

I don't know if the 3.5 Player Handbook says anything about it, but my handbook happens to be roughly 90 miles away from my current location and I won't be able to get my hands on it any time soon.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    That will be in settings books rather than the PHB. I would try googling for "D&D elven names". It will work, I'm sure, because I've been to a couple of such sites that way. Tolkien doesn't work but this doesn't mean I don't use Middle Earth names for my D&D characters. ;)

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Elven names are in the Player's Handbook. AFAIK, it does not give you a way of generating names in that language. How names in a fictional language are done is up to the DM.

Personally, I just like to think that elves just use a Common surname when dealing with Common-speaking people. (So Linattar* becomes Greenapple.)

* -- Let's suppose Lin means "green" and Attar means "apple" in Elven.

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In Races of the Wild, you can find tables with many translations of names, or how to put them together.
    I would never buy the book for only that, though.

5. Dall Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I read about it in my Players handbook, and it says that elven surnames mean something like gemflower, moonwhisper and so on. I think it's a family name...

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Corelleon, for instance, means legendary chief. Cor means legend/legendary and -lon (or -ellon) means chief. There are endless possibilities for creating elven names this way. Yay...

7. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

do Sun Elves create their surnames in the same way Moon Elves do or is there a different strategy for them?

8. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I guess both are similar enough to go with either. Infact many settings switch gold/moon elves so i dont think that would be a problem.

9. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    A tad late and insignificant, I suppose, but here is my thought about that.
    Both Sun and Moon Elves speak elven, and probably they pick their names the same way. But surely they choose names better fit to their culture. Sun Elves, more than other elves, are interested in reason and knowledge and possibly have names to show it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.