1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Elder Scrolls 3 : Morrowind question

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Kenixkil, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

For anybody who has Morrowind, I have a question. I have been trying to get any soul into a soul gem. But when I cast Soul Trap, it says 'Your spell didn't get a target', when my target's rught in front of me! How do I do this?

2. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I can't believe that the morrowind manual didn't cover this... cause it is the most common question asked about the game. Bethesda really sucks when it comes to manuals, daggerfall was the same.

Either way, to soul trap, you need to first of all make sure that your soultrap spell is "on target", not "on touch", unless you stand right in front of the monster. You have to cast is while the monster is still alive. You can not cast it on humanoids. The soul trap has a duration, you have to kill the monster within this duration, and you need to have a soul gem in your inventory. If you kill the monster within the given time, its soul is automatically transferred to an empty soul gem in yourbackpack.

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Most important part from the post above:
    SOUL TRAP DOES NOT WORK ON HUMANOIDS.
    (that causes that error message)

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Gotta a quetion of my own: where is the witch that took the Cloudcleaver? Now I have a half-naked barbarian running behind me because I canĀ“t find that damn w-itch.

5. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Where is Simon Bob-Joe Raymond.....? Nobody knows...... :whoa: :mommy: :eek:

Seriously, if you stand where you first meet the Nord guy, and go DIRECTLY NW, then you will go over some hills, and you should find the witch.

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

That witch in on the side of the road between Caldera and Maar Gan, can't miss her.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Thanks. I went to NE... :doh:

8. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Another question. I'm atlevel 10 and I still don't understand everything about lvl up. How does the attribute modifiers work, anyway? Do they go like if you get 5 skills in long blade, you get x5 on str?

9. idoru Gems: 11/31

Each skill has a governing attribute... for Spear it's endurance, for most heavy weapons strength, and so on. If you improve strictly strength based skills, you'll get a high modifier for strength....

It is also worth noting that while your improvements in misc. skills don't count towards a level up, they will add to this modifier.. theoretically, you can get three *5 modifiers (it wouldn't be useful to have more than that, since you can't improve more than 3 skills), with each levelup, if you just spend enough time working your skills.

10. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I've found out that getting 3 points in the primary skill will raise the attribute. 5 Points = 4 Attribute, 7= 5, at least that is close. The secondary skills have the same thing, but the skill increase needed is 4 instead of 2. Or something like that (in Tribunal).

Maybe Sorcerer's Place would need a Elder Scrolls section?

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] That's not a bad idea.

12. Muumli the Wayfarer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I have two questions.
    1. Does stealth only suck at low skill levels? Do I need to get it a lot higher before I can actually get close to people or successfully pickpocket?

2. In the desert towns, the Redoran Guard walks around wearing these cool hood-like things. Can I buy one separately? Or is it part of the Bonemold armor?

13. idoru Gems: 11/31

It becomes insanely powerful at higher levels. Just remember this: Your ability to sneak is very much controlled by the weight of the boots you wear. If you're walking around in heavy armor boots like dwemer or daedric, those boots will weight 30 kilos or more... obviously it will be hard to sneak in those. My thieves always go barefoot.

Once you reach above 80 or 90, you become virtually invisible.. backstabbing is fun too, for a *4 damage multiplier.

Your chance of sneaking up on an enemy depends on the enemy's level... it's almost impossible to sneak up on Divayth Fyr, but sneaking up on say, a cave rat isn't too hard. What I did to practice my sneaking was that I kept my eyes open while going between towns.. and as soon as I'd see a monster in the distance, I'd start sneaking. In the beginning they saw me way before I could backstab them, but after just a short while, my skill had increased enough for me to succesfully backstab guars, cave rats, mudcrabs and similar low level monsters. Obviously it's kind of pointless to backstab them, since they're not much of a threat, but it does give you that nice thief-ish feeling... they never saw me coming. :D

I'm not sure what you mean by hood-like, but the redoran guard always wear bonemold helmets, so that would be it. There are many different kinds of bonemold armor though, and 4 or 5 different helmet designs... so if you find one in a store, make sure it's the right design... it's purely cosmetic either way, the different kinds of bonemold all have the same armor rating.

14. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] DAMN you guys !!!

Now that i read this thread i found out i want to play it again. :D
    This time with a druid-type class.

Just before i quit i found out that concentrated classes aarent that good in Morrowind. Best way is to have a good all-around char. Something like a bard, druid, demon in AD&D.

But as i forgot much about morrowind i'd like some advices as to what char should i make.
    So...Any suggestions??
    And please, does anyone knows a trick of heavy carrying without skills of strenght increase. I was frustrated in the greatest city as i couldnt carry half of stuff i had.

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have a question about damage. How do you know what damage you do? I know that all weapons have damage ratings but it also says that strenght affects damage. How much damage would I do if I had a 67 skill in sword, wielded a sword that did 4-18 damage and had a 60 strenght score? Is it possible to figure this out?

16. idoru Gems: 11/31

I'm not sure... in good old daggerfall it was simple: At ST 40 you had -1 in damage, at 50= +-0, 60= +1, 70=+2 and so on.. but I don't think it works like that in morrowind.. it just seems like it wouldn't make enough difference, I mean, some weapons can score over 50 points damage, how much does it matter if you have +2 or -2 then?

Either way it doesn't matter much, since there's no way to know exactly how much damage your enemies can take either. ;)

Oh, and as for characters to play, I would have to disagree with you gothmog, I think a specialized character is more fun to play in morrowind. Let's face it: Morrowind is a very simple game. It has game balance issues, and you can easily be a mage and carry heavy armor and big swords at the same time, with no real disadvantage. So, for me, my first character was just that kind, and it ruined the game for me.. it got too simple. The next time I played a very specialized character: A pure thief, I used unarmored as my main skill rather than light armor, since the most powerful light armor (glass) is ridiculously overpowered. And I used a woodelf, one of the weakest races in the game. This really made the game a challenge! I often got killed by simple outdoor encounters.. I had to watch out for kagoutis and try my best to snipe them from a long distance.. I had to put off some quests because the enemies in that particular cave were just too tough for my character. I never had to worry about any of those things with my first character. So it was very refreshing to get some kind of challenge out of the game. Of course I ended up very overpowered around level 25 anyway, but up until that point it was a lot more fun than I had with my previous character.

[ February 13, 2003, 08:44: Message edited by: idoru ]

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Umm do anyone know where that dweomer tube you are supposed to go fetch at the ruins in the beginning is? I have explored alot of the ruins and have started to meet Steam Centurion and Ghostdwarves and they are tough! Am I supposed to be down this deep?

18. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Joacquin, if you mean the dwemer puzzle box for the first mission for the blades it is
    SPOILER

It's on the middle level with the three doors, behind you and below as you enter. The door is called the cells of the hollow hand. It is NOT one of the three, but is to the left of them as you face them. The Dwemer key that opens the lower levels just unlocks a door you have probably opened already whilst exploring.

19. joacqin

Media:
    So the box should be in the room behind the door named the cells of the hollow lands? You find a dweomer tube there as well? I have to go back there, I misinterpreted your instructions and left after I had found the tube. Is it hidden somewhere? I thought I looked pretty closely and all I found was alot of dwemer gears.

20. Greldorn Banned

Gothmog: Use the feather spell.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.