1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Eighth Dimension: #76 Mothertongue

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by 8people, Nov 7, 2010.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Languages have always been a distant fascination to me. I have terrible linguistic intelligence outside of english, there are times when my grasp of french or german is acceptable in fleeting processes where more often than not I do not recognise I am using an alternative language yet the mastery of another vocabulary has constantly eluded me!

Kev wants to learn Afrikaans (Because it's awesome) and I have been looking up resources and stuff for him that maybe I'll get for him when we have the cash together (Been looking since earlier this year but have got some decent reccomendations from polyglot enthusiasts and hobbyists recently :))

I always looked at foreign languages as interesting, insightful to the evolution of a region and the contributions made to the english tongue yet always so far away. I have never imagined travelling beyond england and am not even sure it would be feasible for me to, and now I find myself looking at a list of languages native to these isles and finding myself interested and curious to a degree I've never imagined.

Welsh amuses me, any language that calls a microwave oven a popty-ping is gold in my book, the accents enrapture me with an unusual innocence to the pattern of the inflections and most of the companies reccomended by the aforementioned polgyglots have a welsh programme on at least a basic level.

Gaelic dialects are another interest, there are parts of scotland that only speak gaelic - especially if a young english girl is made apparent. A language barely disturbed by the years and evolution of neighbouring towns interests me and will also be useful in reading old texts I've managed to get a hold of, while my faith in professional translators is high, I cannot ignore the range of available alterations on a theme.

Cornish, not sure what cornish is in... well, cornish. I know Kernow is cornwall, if I remember rightly kinderin was children. There was massive graffiti I saw on a holiday once in cornish and underneath in brackets was (Teach Our Children Cornish) it was part of a protest to get the language back into the curriculum much like welsh in Wales and Gaelic in Irish and Scots schools. The language is dying, and as a stickler for roots and traditions, I'm finding it such a shame, if I could learn enough even just for basics or documentation puposes I would love to get involved.

Romanes calls to me, I know I'm forever outcast from the romany way of life, I've got no romnipen and have only had brief contact with any local romnichal. While I was welcomed as cousin once, I doubt I will ever get such leniency again. We know we have rom ties in our family, maternal side, but it was one of the family secrets, we can't track who it was, though we also have heavy hints that the uncle that helped raise my grandmother was tied into it. My grandmother is the last Armsdon in england and was separate from her family a long time, it's going to be near impossible to track anything down, especially with such little documentation and evidence remaining. A last living relative confirmed a rom connection, but that's all she could tell us. I want to be able to get involved, learn more, I have no wish to intrude on a way of life other than my own, I can only ever touch the tip of the iceburg.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.