1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Edwin is gone, and so is Mae'Var's key

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by blurgh, May 2, 2015.

1. blurgh Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I chose to fight Edwin instead of recruiting him and now he is gone and I have no idea how to progress the main story. Cant even cheat my way ahead.

Halp please :confused:

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    What does Edwin have to do with the main story? None of the main story is predicated on the recruitment and/or well-being of companions as far as I know.

I'm not sure where exactly in the story you are (I'm assuming chapter 3 or late chapter 2), but the easiest solution would be to check one of the walkthroughs right here.

---------- Added 0 hours, 16 minutes and 18 seconds later... ----------

Having refreshed my memory a bit, I'm guessing you're trying to do the Find Evidence Against Mae'Var quest? I don't think you can complete the quest if you outright killed Edwin, but that quest doesn't really have anything to do with the main storyline. You just won't be able to get the thief stronghold (if you're playing a thief).

It is possible to fix your game via console, but I don't really think it's worth the effort unless it screwed up other stuff (like turning everyone hostile).

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    IIRC, if you kill Edwin, you can't complete the Thief's Stronghold quest or get your evidence against Mae'Var. I believe one of the dialogs has Edwin bluntly tell you you'll never get access to the chest without his help.

Either reload to an earlier save, or forsake this quest. You can still complete the game, but you just failed the side quest. There are plenty of other quests to help you raise the gold you need.

You have to make nice with Edwin until the quest is over.

The only alternative is to blatantly cheat.
    Use the console to CLUAConsole:CreateItem("EDWINKEY",1)
    Alternatively, use ShadowKeeper to place the key with a resource ID of "EDWINKEY" in your inventory.

4. blurgh Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I thought that the shadow thieves were imperial to the main quest for some reason. :p

I used the cheat to finish the quest anyhow, thanks!

Edit: I guess the shadow thieves ARE imperial to the main quest, I just mixed up the quests...

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The Shadow Thieves are vital to the main quest if your main character is a thief. Otherwise you can side with Bodhi.
    Even if he's a thief, Renal Bloodscalp and Mae'Var's quest are not vital to the main quest. All you have to do is get enough cash to pay off Gaelan Bayle in the Slums.
    After that, you report to Aran Linvail in the Northeastern portion of the docks. IIRC you don't interact with Renal at all for Aran's quests.

That said, if your main character is a thief (including kits and multiclasses) the stronghold is a useful base of operations for storing items and a good source of income so you can splurge on potions. Not that potions of extra healing are that useful in BG2 in combat as you usually have to withdraw and spend several rounds quaffing potions (a ring of invisibility is good for this as you can quaff potions without braking invisibility and it's possible to pass the ring to whoever needs it)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.