1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"EasyTutu" Distribution of Tutu

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Macready, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Macready Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hello -

I'm sure many of you have heard of the BG2 total conversion known as "Tutu." I wanted to post in order to let you know that I have assembled an alternate distribution of Tutu called "EasyTutu." Here's a quick blurb from the readme to let you know what it's all about:

If you are interested in reading more, or downloading EasyTutu and giving it a try, you may do so right here.

Questions and comments are welcome. Thanks for reading!

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    So with your Tutu installer, what's the installation process? Is it still: BG1, TotSC, TotSC Patch, BG2, ToB, ToB Patch, and then Tutu? :rolling:

3. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    You'll still need to install the patches. The install will basically be much easier and more stable. The new installer will also tell you if you are missing any files from your original install, so you don't get half way through the game and find out you can't continue because one of your files is missing due to a damaged BG1 disk.

The other neat thing is that your BG2 and BG1 installs aren't messed with by easy tutu. It creates a seperate, playable installation. This is nice because you will still be able to play BG2 and you can just uninstall BG1 after running easy tutu.

4. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

It isn't necessary to patch BG1. A completely full install of it and TotSC (so that all resources are on the hard drive) is all that is required.

On the BG2 side, ToB is optional. With or without it, the latest patch from Bioware is required.

The EasyTutu page I linked has the requirements in detail.

Thanks for the interest. :)

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Damn you people! You're making it harder and harder *not* to try tutu! :shake:

Myabe once I get a new hard drive, I'll give it a try. :) :rolling:

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Great initiative, Macready :thumb: !

7. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] I will try this for sure :)

8. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

@Kitrax:

That's the point! Complexity is no longer a valid excuse. Come to the dark side! :)

@olimikrig:

Thanks. :)

@Lynadin:

Please do! Tutu is great fun. I'd also appreciate any feedback you might have about the installation if you use EasyTutu.

I'd also like to say one more thing that I should have mentioned in the first post. If you visit the EasyTutu page and think something like "hey, I'd love to try that, but I don't have TotSC / an english version of the game / etc," don't give up hope. The normal Tutu installation process, while not as user friendly, is much more inclusive in terms of who can use it. The point of the installer is to encourage people to experience Tutu, so by all means do so! :)

9. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Please note that this is not an "official" release by the Tutu team, so if you have any problems related to it it is possible we won't know what's wrong.

Having said that, a lot of people have reported trying Macready's work and have had a good time of it, so you are probably fine. :)

(I'm not trying to warn people off, mainly ensure people realise that this isn't something Japh/Sim/Ghrey/CamDawg/Idobek/myself etc have had a chance to peek at in detail yet).

10. Gasha Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

In the readme text (the one in the link), it says that you need an american version. My game is bought in sweden, does that mean I can't use EasyTutu? When I try to start it, it opens and gets to the text "Do you want to play BG 1 with the improvements of the BG 2 engine?" (or something like that). When I select Baldur's Gate, the text changes to "no cd inserted, insert cd 255 (I know Baldur's Gate has many CDs, but 255?!). The text is insert CD for just as long time as it takes for me to read it, then the screen go black. I can still use CTRL - ALT - Delete to get to the task manager (where it is listed an "not answering"), and turn BGMain off. Is this problem because I don't have an american version? If it is, can't I play Tutu, or is there something else i can do?

[ January 18, 2006, 21:25: Message edited by: Gasha ]

11. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

Is this error happening on a traditional installation of Tutu, or on an EasyTutu install?

[ January 17, 2006, 22:02: Message edited by: Macready ]

12. Gasha Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It is a problem with the EasyTutu. I get other problems with the normal tutu too, though. For some reason, it can't load the Friendly Arm Inn-area. when I try to go to the Friendly Arm, the "Saving Game"-screen appeared and finished saving, then the loading area-screen appeared for some seconds, then the screen went black and the Send error report, or Don't Send-window appeared.

13. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Just wondering, are the save files from the original tutu compatible with EasyTutu?
    The reason I ask is beccause I am planning to uninstall tutu (the non-Easy version) so I can play BG2 for a while. Anyway, if i then install EasyTutu will I be able to resume the game that I started with the old Tutu?

14. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

@Gasha:
    EasyTutu does require a US (or at least english language, I'm not sure if UK differs from US) version of the game. I'm sorry I can't accomodate the European versions with EasyTutu, but I don't have access to non-US versions of the game in order to create EasyTutu equivalents for them.

As for your Friendly Arm inn issue: it's possible that your original installation of BG1 is incomplete. It sounds like your game is crashing right when the little FAI movie is supposed to play -- if the BG1 movies never made it to your hard drive, that would probably cause a crash.

Try adding the following line to your baldur.ini in the [Program Options] section:

[Program Options]
    Disable Movies=1

If that makes the problem go away, your issue is definitely related to the BG1 movies.

@Stu:
    This comes down to the mods you have installed. Your save games are tied strongly to the mods you were using when they were created, so if you switch installations you want to preserve the exact same mod environment.

If your current Tutu installation is based on Tutufix v15, then you will have no problem. Just install EasyTutu, and then install all the same mods in the exact same order as your current installation has (except for Tutufix core bug fixes, which are already included in EasyTutu). If you are not currently using Tutufix v15, I'd wait on EasyTutu until if and when you start a new game.

With the mod environment remaining constant, it is an easy switch though. Once I finished developing the EasyTutu distribution, I uninstalled my own traditional Tutu install and reinstalled using EasyTutu (again, with the exact same mods in the exact same order), and all my saves worked fine.

15. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It does sound like missing movies or possibly a corrupted area file, yeah.

16. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Hmm, this sounds intressting. I think I will download it and try to install it now. When I tried to install tutu before, it got messed up and turned me off for the whole thing.

I also bought my game in Sweden, but I hope there won't be any problems, since the game is still in english.

EDIT: Um, where do you unpack and install it? In the folder suggested (C:bad:Temp\EasyTutuSetup), in the BG I main dir, or in the BG II main dir?

[ January 18, 2006, 18:56: Message edited by: Bahir the Red ]

17. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

Which patch do you use, US or European? If US, I'm guessing it will work. If European, you may have problems, because I didn't have access to those versions of the game, and I don't know what the differences are.

The C:bad:Temp\EasyTutuSetup folder is a suggestion for where to unpack the temporary setup files. The setup itself will ask you where you want to install EasyTutu. After setup, you are free to delete the setup files from C:bad:Temp\EasyTutuSetup (or from whatever temp location you extracted them to).

18. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Ok, so I should/could make a new folder specificly for EasyTutu, where the EasyTutu files (which I assume will be large files) will be stored? I.e. I dont have to install EasyTutu in either my main BG or BG II directory, right?

19. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

You don't have to make a folder. First you will extract the setup files to a folder of your choosing (default is C:bad:Temp\EasyTutuSetup). Then the installer will run and ask you to what folder you wish to install Tutu, and will create the folder if it doesn't already exist.

EasyTutu won't let you install to your BG1 or BG2 folders -- it is designed to install itself such that your BG1 and BG2 installations are untouched. It will end up copying over most of the BG1 resources during installation -- if you wish to free up disk space after setup is complete, you are free to uninstall vanilla BG1, which will allow you to reclaim around 2.5 GB. You can also delete the EasyTutu setup files from whatever temp folder you extracted them to, which will reclaim an additional 10 to 20 MB.

20. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well you got me convinced, and as soon as I get my PC back up and running I am going to try it out. It will be perfect because I am master reloading XP due to a big crash thanks to a power outage yesterday.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.