1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Easy way of killing a dragon

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by waynton12, Feb 27, 2014.

1. waynton12 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am currently playing BG2+TOB (not EE version) as solo elf F/M/T.
    To my surprise,I found a game is a lot easier when playing solo than having a party (too many people disagree with me :))

anyway, at first I had a trouble killing dragons, but this is my easy solution.
    It might seem a little bit lame, but it works :)
    Just to mention, I play the game as big world project mod, so I played with this character from the beginning of BG1.
    When I faced Firkraag I was leveled a bit higher than if I started from BG2.
    I think it was
    Fighter - lvl 13
    Mage - lvl 13
    Thief - lvl 15

RED DRAGOn (Firkraag)

when you enter his lair, go near the beast and cast lower resistance. As soon as it fires, run away until you can't see it. Cast 5 cloudkills in a row. They will hurt him a bit, but just before cloudkills stop, dragon will cast heal.
    You could skip this part as well, but I preffer to hurt beast just a little bit.

Cast mirror image, blur, drink something for strength and drink potion of heroism (THAC0 as low as possible). If you do not have boots of speed, haste yourself and cast fireshield (red). Drinking something for dexterity won't hurt as well. Oh, and stoneskin is also prefferable.

Now the fun starts - go near the beast and target it with any ranged weapon you have. I used longbow of strong arms with arrows of piercing and arrows+2.

The dragon will cast haste on itself, so at this point you just need to run around before dragon's haste wear's off. Good thing is - it will only last for few rounds. While hasted, dragon will probably hit you once or twice, but having all these protections, it didn't really matter. When dragon is no longer hasted, it will go after you, but will stop to cast dragon breath. While it's casting dragon breath just target it with whatever ranged weapon you have. Since you have fireshield (red) his breath is pointless. Then, beast starts to go after you and then, you ran away from it.

Dragon goes down within few minutes :)

and you have your 64k exp. points :D

SHADOW DRAGON

the tactic for this one is as same as for red dragon.
    However, this one is a little bit more annoying because
    a) ti does not sit and wait until cloudkill stops. As soon as it hits it, it moves on you.
    b) shadow dragon breath will level drain you. specially if damn thing casts great malision. Good thing is - level drain wears off after some time.

While level drained, it is pointless to target dragon with ranged weapon cause your THAC0 jumps high (mine was5 and I couldn't hit it). Battle will go on for 5-7 minutes but the thing eventually falls.

And you have your 45k exp. Or was it 54? :)

I couldn't believe that shadow dragon gives less exp points because comparing to red dragon, it was a lot more annoying :)

I will continue as soon as I ran on another dragon :)

P.S. I don't understand xp caps in original games. Total amount of xp for BG1 +TOSC is around 1 200 000. When you divide that on 6 members that is 200 000 per member. Or, one level (maybe 2) higer than where xp cap left you. for example fighter will have few HPs more and THAC0 better for one point. Or, your mage might cast all 5 magic missiles. Facing Sarevok that won't have difference at all, but still, it would be cooler to continue progression (otherwise it becomes a little dull when you face xp cap in the middle of city of BG).

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Soloing makes dragon killing A LOT easier. By the time to get to the dragons you typically have HLA's -- it's just not challenging.

Cleric/Thief:
    Shadow Dragon -- Harm + a single thief trap.
    Red Dragon -- Spike trap + implosion.

Kensai:
    Any dragon (actually, pretty much everything) -- Any good weapon + decent strength + Greater Whirlwind.

A high level monk is also very good against a dragon.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

One of the Amulets gives Level Drain protection(Amulet of Power?).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.